Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Disney Sues Over Musical Featuring 'Spider-Man,' 'Mary Poppins' and 'The Lion King'

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Quote:
Disney Sues Over Musical Featuring 'Spider-Man,' 'Mary Poppins' and 'The Lion King'

A Pennsylvania theater group draws the company's ire by showcasing its popular works.

Disney might have decided not to file a legal objection to Escape From Tomorrow, a microbudget horror film whose poster features a Mickey Mouse-like blood-soaked hand. But the entertainment giant isn't ready to simply roll over on the intellectual property front, either.

The company is now drawing the line at a musical that attempts to showcase the glories of the genre with tributes to famous characters and songs. On Tuesday, in Pennsylvania federal court, Disney and some of its partners filed a lawsuit against Entertainment Theatre Group, doing business as American Music Theatre.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...-spider-637362

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post
Can't say I'm surprised. They are very protective of their characters/properties.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
Can't say I'm surprised. They are very protective of their characters/properties.

AS they should be!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Yep--- go get em.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Yep--- go get em.
^^^~This! Movies can easily go viral -- it would be virtually impossible to contain the film with all of the digital platforms available. But, theater is completely different -- they should know better!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
quexzea
Earning My Ears

I hope they WIN! Those musicals are super cheesy imo and have no place on Broadway. Call me a snob, but if I fork over the cash for a NYC vacation I'm going to see a legit Broadway play. People need culture, and buying a ticket to see Spider-Man the musical is a cop-out - even for your kids. Take the kids to see a real play. Wicked is a good choice everyone will enjoy if you MUST choose a "safe" family play.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexzea View Post
I hope they WIN! Those musicals are super cheesy imo and have no place on Broadway. Call me a snob, but if I fork over the cash for a NYC vacation I'm going to see a legit Broadway play. People need culture, and buying a ticket to see Spider-Man the musical is a cop-out - even for your kids. Take the kids to see a real play. Wicked is a good choice everyone will enjoy if you MUST choose a "safe" family play.
Lion King is cheesy?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
AS they should be!

AKK
Indeed.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yep--- go get em.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

The movie intentionally avoided violating any of Disney copyrights. The song from It's a Small world was replaced with something generic.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
quexzea
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Lion King is cheesy?
As a play? Yes, I think its a bit silly that there is a Broadway adaptation, but it's a major hit, so everyone must enjoy it. The comic book adaptations are even sillier... Lion King the film is marvelous.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
beer dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexzea View Post
As a play? Yes, I think its a bit silly that there is a Broadway adaptation, but it's a major hit, so everyone must enjoy it. The comic book adaptations are even sillier... Lion King the film is marvelous.
I think the songs and musical arrangements of Lion King are some of the most impressive and emotionally charged musical productions ever created. I think this has a lot to do with its popularity-- even on the small level of FOTLK at disney. Best show in all the parks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: