Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
momtotwoteens
OIB for me!

Refrigerators in Values?

Is it true that refrigerators are now in all the rooms in the value resorts? My DH and I stayed one night at ASM the end of June and I don't remember a refrigerator, but from what I've been reading they've been added. This would save us a good bit of money if it's true.
10/99 First trip ever! 12/07! Jan. 30-Feb. 7, 2009 Baby Girl's Sweet 16 trip! Dec. 13-18, 2010 Mom and Dad trip! Dec. 2-8, 2011 Mom and Dad trip take two!, Feb. '12 Friend's trip, Oct. '12 Granddaughter's 1st visit, Jan. '13 1st time staying at WLand first APs ever!, April '13 1st F&G Festival, May '13 SW, DC and the Mouse!, Aug '13 Bday trip at WL, Sept '13 Granddaughter's 2nd trip, Dec '13 Best Friend's Trip

momtotwoteens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Yes. They are small beverage coolers; like a dorm fridge. They are located in the entertainment center.

Disney realized that with the cost to maintain an area to store the fridges, the staff needed to deliver and pick-up fridges, possible loss time due to injury, etc. it was worth it to them to provide them in the rooms and pay the electric. Fortunately, these size fridges take up much less electricity than the half size and full size fridges in other rooms, so it was worth it to them.
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
momtotwoteens
OIB for me!

Thanks! I guess we didn't open any doors on the entertainment center. It was a super quick spur-of-the-moment trip. 18 hours of driving and 18 hours spent in Orlando...
10/99 First trip ever! 12/07! Jan. 30-Feb. 7, 2009 Baby Girl's Sweet 16 trip! Dec. 13-18, 2010 Mom and Dad trip! Dec. 2-8, 2011 Mom and Dad trip take two!, Feb. '12 Friend's trip, Oct. '12 Granddaughter's 1st visit, Jan. '13 1st time staying at WLand first APs ever!, April '13 1st F&G Festival, May '13 SW, DC and the Mouse!, Aug '13 Bday trip at WL, Sept '13 Granddaughter's 2nd trip, Dec '13 Best Friend's Trip

Old 08-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
momtotwoteens
OIB for me!

Oh, will a bottle of coffee creamer fit in one?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
crazyangel
Earning My Ears

Fridge

I Believe all the rooms have a small fridge in them now

crazyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Hootch
DIS Veteran

Yes

nm
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Per the official WDW website, all value resorts now have a mini-fridge. Disney does not refer to them as a "beverage cooler" and I'm not sure where this term is coming from, but it isn't coming from them. It seems to cause confusion when it is referred to as one.

A bottle of coffee creamer will definitely fit, along with some other snacks, a half gallon of milk, some deli meat, etc.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
momtotwoteens
OIB for me!

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Gamegrl1
Mouseketeer

Hooray!!!!

That's great news! Sheesh...we were supposed to go in 2012 and had to cancel, even the fridge swap we were signed up for. I'm so happy we don't have to mess with that now! Thanks for the information!
Gamegrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Gamegrl1
Mouseketeer

Update re: "refrigerators"

This is what I just heard from my travel agent at Small World Vacations. I was inquiring about any charge for a fridge at the All-Stars because although these boards say the fridges are free, we just looked at Birnbaum's WDW 2013 guide and it said there was a $10 cost. So I checked with the travel agent today. Her email reply was this:

"There are now cool boxes in all the value resort rooms at no charge. They are not quite as cold as a fridge, but they are good for keeping water bottles cool."

So I'm thinking "Oh, for crying out loud! It's not really a fridge? How am I supposed to keep milk and yogurt cold enough so we don't get sick on the vacation I've been waiting for FOREVER?!?"

So I just called her and she explained it's not technically a refrigerator (in agreement with a PP). No freezer space and it isn't cold enough for milk...BUT she said that a container of ice placed inside it will lower the temp. So I suggested bringing a small collapsible plastic container of some kind to put ice in and then put the dairy products in the ice, inside the "not-a-fridge". Because I'm just super-careful when it comes to food...I don't want to take a chance on something that might be spoiled (although obviously with dairy you could smell it). Or waste money.

So anyway, I'll look around for a collapsible container...maybe Target, REI, etc. Makes me wonder what the price difference is between these "cool boxes" and an actual fridge and why on EARTH Disney didn't just spring for real fridges. Cheapskates.
Gamegrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

I am pretty sure they are REALLY fridges. But even if they weren't, I would just take some ziplocks and fill with ice (a couple of the bigger ones) and put those in there. Much cheaper. Just switch them out each evening or something.

But, I am pretty sure it has been confirmed they are real fridges...just lacking a freezer..

Minnesota! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
witchesbrew
Substitute Teacher Extraordinaire

This link shows pics of the small fridges in the value resorts.
http://www.easywdw.com/resorts/all-s...world-orlando/

scroll down a bit, the pics are towards the middle of the post
Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

They're the same kind of fridges found at the Mods, I believe. No, there are no freezer compartments, but if you put stuff in, it gets cold. We take a case of water with us when we go and fridges at Pop and CSR both made the water cold. Maybe they call them "beverage chillers" because they don't have freezers, but they look like a dorm-room fridge. It will keep milk, yogurt, etc, cold just fine.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
shyjade
DIS Veteran

We kept a 1/2 gallon of milk, water & soda in ours at ASMo last May with no ice and NO problem with it keeping things "fridge cold". Just think of it as a dorm fridge with no ice compartment.

shyjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
Hootch
DIS Veteran

These look

like the one we had at POFQ this trip and last.

I wanted to add that we stayed at a Hampton a little later on the trip. It had the same fridge in the room but it seemed to cool much better than the one at Disney. When I opened it, it seemed colder right away. The bottles we added the night before were very cold the next morning while the bottles we added (not a lot) the first night at POFQ were not very cold that first morning. I took three and iced them in the bucket before we left for the park. It took awhile for the bottles to chill and I added a few each day to ensure I always had some chilled for two days.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: