Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #31
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDeb83 View Post
Just wondering....what is wrong with the handicapped bathrooms that everyone seems to dislike so much?

I just requested a king bed for our trip in September, and now I am second-guessing my choice.

Are there any regular king rooms at POP? If not, are the beds in the handicapped accessible rooms low to the ground?

Thanks!
true HA rooms have a shower only, no tub.. with no lip ( leads to splash issues in the rest of the room) a toilet seat that is too high and a sink that is too low. Great if you are in a WC, not so much for the rest of the population.

Doesn't Art of Animation have King rooms? like plain old regular ones?
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #32
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
true HA rooms have a shower only, no tub.. with no lip ( leads to splash issues in the rest of the room) a toilet seat that is too high and a sink that is too low. Great if you are in a WC, not so much for the rest of the population.

Doesn't Art of Animation have King rooms? like plain old regular ones?
Bolding is mine...
Well what you consider to be a true HC room and what is defined as a HC room by ADA law apparently are not the same. And ADA wins out in my book. The others are by ADA law and according to the resort HC accessible rooms. Agree to disagree...

and for the record... the sink is the exact same height!! it is just configured a slight bit different so that a w/c will fit underneath...but the height is the same.
and the toilets are NO taller than those in a HC stall... I guess you have never used the HC stall in a public restroom?? Now I could understand if you had small children, but you are talking about 2 adults only because it is a king room (unless one adult is sharing with a small child which doesn't seem to be the case here).
I would think the biggest complaint would be the lower bed. To me that is the most noticeable factor of ANYTHING!! It's pretty low comparatively.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #33
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

there are 2 types.. Wheelchair accessible, and handicapped. WA have roll in showers, higher toilet seats and the rest. and FTR I use HA rest rooms pretty much exclusively even when I am not in my chair. I need the grab bars.

and yes many Restrooms do have higher seats( and I really appreciate when they do) even if they also have the grab bars( in general, not Disney specific) and one sink that is lower.. sometimes in the stall itself, others outside in the main area.

Luckily I am not confined full time( yet) so can get away with a regular room so cannot comment on bed height. except king beds always seem to be like a foot higher? maybe it's just the hotels we have stayed at that has them who knows.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #34
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Just wanted to add that other people's successes with getting their request are not telling of what will happen with you. Even if 99% of the people get their requests, it solely depends on occupancy when YOU are there. If it just so happens that all king rooms are occupied, then you may be SOL. However, I would think a king room would be easier to get at a value because most of the families traveling there would not want a king.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #35
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb
there are 2 types.. Wheelchair accessible, and handicapped. WA have roll in showers, higher toilet seats and the rest. and FTR I use HA rest rooms pretty much exclusively even when I am not in my chair. I need the grab bars.

and yes many Restrooms do have higher seats( and I really appreciate when they do) even if they also have the grab bars( in general, not Disney specific) and one sink that is lower.. sometimes in the stall itself, others outside in the main area.

Luckily I am not confined full time( yet) so can get away with a regular room so cannot comment on bed height. except king beds always seem to be like a foot higher? maybe it's just the hotels we have stayed at that has them who knows.
Well I can tell you from first hand experience that the king beds in the HC accessible roll in shower rooms at the value resorts (except AoA, have not personally stayed there yet but I would venture to say it is probably pretty safe to assume the set up is identical to the other values) are NOTICABLY lower than the other beds within the hotel! And you can really tell if your room is connected to another. Sit on your bed, then go next door and sit on that one! I didn't have a tape measure on me, but there is a difference of several inches. And all the HC King beds are lower. I have stayed in Many different HC king rooms not just 2 or 3.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #36
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina
Just wanted to add that other people's successes with getting their request are not telling of what will happen with you. Even if 99% of the people get their requests, it solely depends on occupancy when YOU are there. If it just so happens that all king rooms are occupied, then you may be SOL. However, I would think a king room would be easier to get at a value because most of the families traveling there would not want a king.
Agree completely with your statement....just never know what will be available when you are there.
But disagree with the comment about them being easier to get as I think if you saw the statistics on the # of couples and solo travelers who stay at values, you might be surprised!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: