Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #16
livetocruise
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyBeans View Post
I've requested a king room at Pop twice, and gotten it once. The time I was successful, I was arriving on a Saturday when many people are checking out making for a larger pool of available rooms. It was my only request other than being away from the pool (too much noise for us). Both requests were granted. We were in the 70s section facing the court yard with a handicap accessible king room. We decided we didn't like this location much though because it was high traffic area and pretty noisy.

Second time we arrived on a Thusday. I requested a king facing the lake in either the sixties or fifties section. Neither request was granted, and we were placed in a standard room in the 70s section again. I politely asked if there were any standard rooms facing the lake. We were switch to a fourth floor room in the 50s facing the lake. It was seriously THE BEST location. Nice, quiet, peaceful, good views. I didn't even miss the king room I thought I wanted!

If you want to be successful with room requests:
1. Only request king room
2. If you must add additional requests like me, rank them in order and be flexible with CMs at check in.
3. Avoid arriving mid week when more travelers are mid trip and there are less rooms to pull from
4. Do normal check in. I've had to work with CMs a few times at check in to get some requests looked into. This wouldn't have been possible with online check in.
Thanks for the tips. King bed is our only request right now and I won't do online checkin. We are arriving on a Sunday so hopefully that will give us higher chances.
livetocruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
cantslowdownptwn
Disney Villan Enthusiast

i'm 2 for 2 at getting king beds. when i made the request i stated i was too tall for double beds and needed a king.

1983- poly 4yrs
1985- poly 6yrs
1991- cbr 12yrs
1992- cbr 13yrs
2007- por (hunnymoon) 28yrs
2008- por (anniversary) 29 yrs
2010-Boardwalk Villas (son's 1st b-day) 31 yrs
2012- Art of Animation (son's 3rd b-day) 33 yrs
2014- POP or CSR can't decide!!!
cantslowdownptwn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

And yet a request is still just a request, and if all the king bed rooms are occupied when someone who requested one checks in, even height won't make one magically appear.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyBeans
4. Do normal check in. I've had to work with CMs a few times at check in to get some requests looked into. This wouldn't have been possible with online check in.
It is definitely possible to work with the CM checking you in even if you do online check in. I've done it twice with no issues.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #20
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
It is definitely possible to work with the CM checking you in even if you do online check in. I've done it twice with no issues.
You can ask for rooms to be changed if you don't like what you get, even if you have done on line check in. However, it kind of takes away the benefit of on line check in for the people waiting behind you in line.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetocruise
Thanks for the replies. Our travel agent strongly advised that we book a preferred room, and I don't know any better to know if that's what we want or not. Will it make a difference if we are booked in a preferred or standard room?
NO! NO! NO! I am EXTREMELY familiar with POP and the King rooms there. There are fewer king rooms in the preferred section.
Out of 2880 rooms only 150 are king. More of the kings are in the std category than preferred ESP the non HC king rooms. So if you don't want a HC king room (and many do not like these bathrooms) I would stick with a std room not preferred. I am only trying to help! I have spent 118 nights at POP. I have spent 38 nights this year alone all in King rooms there. I really do know what I am talking about. The good side is POP occupancy rate is generally running on the lower side (or it always is when I have been there!) So I would say your chances are probably pretty good!
Best of Luck to you!!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
livetocruise
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
NO! NO! NO! I am EXTREMELY familiar with POP and the King rooms there. There are fewer king rooms in the preferred section.
Out of 2880 rooms only 150 are king. More of the kings are in the std category than preferred ESP the non HC king rooms. So if you don't want a HC king room (and many do not like these bathrooms) I would stick with a std room not preferred. I am only trying to help! I have spent 118 nights at POP. I have spent 38 nights this year alone all in King rooms there. I really do know what I am talking about. The good side is POP occupancy rate is generally running on the lower side (or it always is when I have been there!) So I would say your chances are probably pretty good!
Best of Luck to you!!
Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking and just wanted someone to confirm. I have made the switch to a standard in hopes that it would increase my chances. Thank you so much for your insight
livetocruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
IDreamofPoly
Mouseketeer

I hope you do end up getting your King Bed. We had a disneymoon at Pop! and we couldn't get a king. So we vowed never to stay value again. We finally got a king on our 3rd night (out of 8) but it was facing the main pool, so it was too noisy, and was a disabled room and we didn't quite like that. Good luck!

DH (30)
Me (28)
DS (19 months)

Disneyland: AP Holders & every year since Birth
WDW: October 2011 (Late Honeymoon at Pop!), July 2012 (1st Anniversary at Caribbean Beach), and October 2013 (DS's 1st Bday at Grand Floridian), June 2014 (Poly!!) September 2014 (CR TPV & BC Split-Stay)
IDreamofPoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Okay, so this experience demonstrates that if one absolutely, positively has to have a specific condition that's requestable at some resorts (value/deluxe) but bookable at others (moderate), one needs to select a resort based on one's requirements.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #25
DisneyDeb83
Mouseketeer

Just wondering....what is wrong with the handicapped bathrooms that everyone seems to dislike so much?

I just requested a king bed for our trip in September, and now I am second-guessing my choice.

Are there any regular king rooms at POP? If not, are the beds in the handicapped accessible rooms low to the ground?

Thanks!
DisneyDeb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
spritna
Mouseketeer

I think the biggest gripe would be there is no tub. The bathroom has a open concept. Ex. If someone gets a shower then you go use the restroom...the floor would probably be all wet.

spritna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #27
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDeb83
Just wondering....what is wrong with the handicapped bathrooms that everyone seems to dislike so much?

I just requested a king bed for our trip in September, and now I am second-guessing my choice.

Are there any regular king rooms at POP? If not, are the beds in the handicapped accessible rooms low to the ground?

Thanks!
Yes, there are Some regular King rooms at POP. There are 29 std and 9 prfrd that are NOT HC accessible in any way. Then there are a few more that are still categorized as HC accessible but they only have features for the 'hearing impaired', so the bathrooms in those are still 'normal'. And there are some HC accessible king rooms that will still come with a tub but will have the extra grab bars. I believe that all adapted bathrooms will have the higher toilet (I know the roll in shower ones do...I would strongly suspect the ones with the tub with the grab bars do as well). The bed will be noticably lower to the ground.
And yes! Many do not like the roll in shower because the bathroom floor has the potential to get wet. But please also only take the roll in shower rooms as a last resort...they aren't as plentiful as one thinks. And when it is a necessity for someone else it is really disappointing when they aren't available because they are occcupied by others not really needing them.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #28
NicolaFred
Earning My Ears

Stayed at pop in 2009 twice and again in 2010. Requested a king bed all times and got one all times. I made my requests via fax 3 days before and made it very cheesy/magical
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #29
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetocruise View Post
I guess since we've only been married 4 years, the idea of sleeping separate beds just seems crazy
oh once you hit say the five year mark you will be BEGGING for a bed of your own. that's when they start to snore.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaFred
Stayed at pop in 2009 twice and again in 2010. Requested a king bed all times and got one all times. I made my requests via fax 3 days before and made it very cheesy/magical
POP no longer accepts faxed requests....
Hasn't for awhile now. Requests must be made over the phone or at time of online checkin....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: