DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
icouldlivethere
Mouseketeer

First off thanks so much for all of the great and useful information! Much appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post

Either Disney is filling larger contracts first, or the first person you talked to was mistaken about your position, or the second person you talked to was mistaken about your position. I'd hate to think it was the first option, but if I was a guide, I'd be looking to fill big sales first, given that all sales come with essentially the same time commitment and potential for hassle. But a 25-point sale comes with one-fourth the commission of a 100-point sale. If the guides themselves decide who to fill off the waitlist, then it's certainly possible that they're cherry-picking the larger orders.
We talked to the same person both times. When you buy direct you are assigned a guide and they are the only one you ever talk to. He had a record of us having called him on April 29. I called the first time and my husband called the second time but he had the phone on speaker phone so I heard the entire conversation. When he asked our guide why we hadn't moved up in 2-1/2 months all he had to say was that we had definitely moved up since our name was originally put on the list on March 19.

I do understand that they make more commission on larger contracts but I don't think the guides have any say in which contracts get fulfilled first. I believe it's the guides job to sell you a contract and put your name on the list and from there it is taken care of by accounting or some other office.

I had thought the contracts would be fulfilled in the order they were put on the list. Silly me! Now after reading your post and the one from wdrl it seems that if you would like your points all in one contract then they would all have to come from one unit. So, like you said if there were 2 people who both wanted a 100 point contract then there is a good chance that they would split the 200 point contract between them. I'm only going to get my 25 points if there are 25 points left over in a unit. I know I was told during my first phone call that the first person on the list for BWV Oct. UY points wanted 60 points. I don't know about the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post

Here is another thing to keep in mind about deeds reacquired by DVD: Even though DVD reacquires a deed, it cannot sell those points unless the deed comes with current year points. For example, DVD could ROFR or foreclose on a 300 point BWV deed with an October UY. But if there are no points in the 2012 UY, then DVD will not sell those points until October 1, 2013, at the earliest.
One of the people who put a bid in on one of the 200 point Oct UY BWV contracts had posted on the ROFR thread and elsewhere as well. She said that it was a loaded contract and even had 2011 points in it. She was told by her resale agent that the other one was the same. I guess I will have to wait to see if those points show up as being sold by DVD sometime before Oct. 1. If they do, I'll have to make another phone call to see if we have moved up the list or not after they are sold. If not, then I'll be really disappointed.

Thanks again to both of you for explaining how things work!

icouldlivethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
Here is another thing to keep in mind about deeds reacquired by DVD: Even though DVD reacquires a deed, it cannot sell those points unless the deed comes with current year points. For example, DVD could ROFR or foreclose on a 300 point BWV deed with an October UY. But if there are no points in the 2012 UY, then DVD will not sell those points until October 1, 2013, at the earliest.
If I want an October Use Year, can't I buy that now? What about in September? Do I need 2012 points if I want to buy an October Use Year in September?

Thanks!
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
If I want an October Use Year, can't I buy that now? What about in September? Do I need 2012 points if I want to buy an October Use Year in September?

Thanks!
It doesn't really matter that you might not want an October UY deed with 2012 points, or that you might be quite willing to accept your first set of points with the 2013 UY. Except during the initial startup sales period for new DVC resorts, DVD will not sell deeds with post dated points. If DVD does not have points available in the current UY, it will not sell that deed until the first day of the next UY.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
twinsouvenirs
Mother of Dragons :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineerTHAT View Post
I don't mind a little fluctuation, but at the end of the day Disney can control the prices.
This is part of the analysis that went into our decision to buy--for at least the forseeable future, we believe that if we pay cash & buy the bulk of our points resale, we can recover at least SOMETHING should we decide in 10 (or 2) years that the kids really don't enjoy it enough to justify the ongoing fees. This is because Disney has played a part in inflating prices with ROFR. We believe there is a lower likelihood than most timeshares that we'll be selling for a dollar on ebay.

Obviously other things can happen but in the end, if we pay cash up front, our worst case scenario isn't too horrible.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
Tigger1
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #21
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsouvenirs View Post

This is part of the analysis that went into our decision to buy--for at least the forseeable future, we believe that if we pay cash & buy the bulk of our points resale, we can recover at least SOMETHING should we decide in 10 (or 2) years that the kids really don't enjoy it enough to justify the ongoing fees. This is because Disney has played a part in inflating prices with ROFR. We believe there is a lower likelihood than most timeshares that we'll be selling for a dollar on ebay.

Obviously other things can happen but in the end, if we pay cash up front, our worst case scenario isn't too horrible.
You're doing it exactly right IMO. And by buying VGF direct, and the other resorts resale, you are perfectly across the dividing line between retail and resale. That is, using retail where it works best, and resale where it doesn't make financial sense.

And your kids are going to be thrilled. Congrats on a wise purchase plan.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #22
icouldlivethere
Mouseketeer

Ok....I just saw on another thread that somebody just got a call last night saying there 50 BWV Feb UY points just came in. I also see on your report that Disney ROFR'd a 150 point BWV Feb UY contract and the deed was recorded on June 4 the same day as the two 200 point BWV Oct UY contracts. So, maybe it just takes that long for Disney to divide up the contracts once the deeds are recorded and maybe I'll be moving up the list soon. They went on the waitlist the same day as us so it does at least give me a little hope.

icouldlivethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Minnies Dad
Earning My Ears

Great info
Minnies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: