Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmickey View Post

Hi! I'm trying to decide the same thing for a summer 2014 trip! Can you pleases tell me where to find that spreadsheet? Thanks!
Google 'See Ya Reel Soon'

I would use it and then still do the pen and mapper math. The spreadsheet worked out pretty inaccurate for me.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Mugs are good for "drinking" next to pool and using them at home.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmickey View Post

Hi! I'm trying to decide the same thing for a summer 2014 trip! Can you pleases tell me where to find that spreadsheet? Thanks!
See ya real soon spreadsheet is what I searched... I dunno it came up within $100 of my hours long calculations. So I thought it was pretty cool!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

I like the dining plan and I don't really try to make sure we are coming out ahead.

We like having our meals prepaid. We like being able to order anything we want off the menu without considering the cost (chicken vs steak). We like having soda for dinner instead of water and we like having dessert even if we don't need it. We always buy the refillable mugs anyway as a souvie even if we don't use it much.

This trip was booked with the QSDP until this week. We had 3 adrs made - lunch with princesses at Epcot for dd9, Garden Grill at dd29s request and Sci-fi for ds12. I realized that it would cost almost as much for those 3 meals as it would to upgrade to the DDP and then we have 3 more TS meals for no additional cost.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
I like the dining plan and I don't really try to make sure we are coming out ahead.

We like having our meals prepaid. We like being able to order anything we want off the menu without considering the cost (chicken vs steak). We like having soda for dinner instead of water and we like having dessert even if we don't need it. We always buy the refillable mugs anyway as a souvie even if we don't use it much.

This trip was booked with the QSDP until this week. We had 3 adrs made - lunch with princesses at Epcot for dd9, Garden Grill at dd29s request and Sci-fi for ds12. I realized that it would cost almost as much for those 3 meals as it would to upgrade to the DDP and then we have 3 more TS meals for no additional cost.
Why wouldn't you make sure you are coming out ahead? This is what I am trying to figure out... We go to DL almost yearly and there is no dining plan, I also like to pay nothing out of pocket while there, so I spend my year loading gift cards to bring to pay for all our meals, we can eat at DL for about $60 a day pp, this is almost always 1 character meal, 1 cs, and one other TS meal a day. Right now I am looking at $200 a day or $66 pp per day so almost a wash with DL... I had heard so much about the wdw dining plan I was excited to "get a deal" but I don't see it... Even the supposed free dining doesn't sound real free if you have to pay rack rate for the room... Maybe if there are 5 of you that you are cramming into one room... But we only have the 3 of us, and dd is not a big eater.

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary7116 View Post
Refillable mugs are a great Idea in theory but if you're relying on Disney transportation & staying in a rm
far from the resort restaurant they're bulky and cumbersome to carry around all day. You have to take another trip back to your rm if you don't want to carry them in the parks. Also, aren't regular drinks refillable?
The OP asked essentially, "am I missing something" in regards to her calculations on DP vs. OOP. I just mentioned the mugs. I am not making any argument about if that is right for the OP or anyone, just mentioning that it is something that was not taken into consideration with her $28 estimated price difference. Three mugs would cost more than $28.

I could see something like this happening to some people where the calculated everything out, then realized later they were buying mugs OOP. We have bought mugs and paid OOP, rather than using the dining plan.

Directly to comment on your post, I agree that sometimes you don't want to carry your mug around. We usually have a backpack, so we can put our empty mugs in a ziplock inside our bag if going into the parks. Usually we carry them when we are going to the resort QS to eat and fill the mug. Otherwise we leave it in the room.

Regular fountain drinks, tea, coffee, etc. are refillable at the resort QS locations for the duration of your meal, you can refill your drinks while you are there for that sitting.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
Paigesmom2013
Mouseketeer

Your post prompted me to do a little math of my own...
` I was kinda bummed because we would have been eligible for QS free dining this trip, but we bought our tickets through DH's work before the promotion started. Since it didn't matter at that point, I booked our ASMu through travelocity with a promo code. I saved over $400 versus booking tix and room through Disney. I don't think the two of us would have used that much QS meals and snacks for 5 days! (Free dining doesn't start until day 3 of our 7 day trip.)
Paigesmom2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
disneydan11
Earning My Ears

Just this afternoon I worked with that spreadsheet. At first glance it is really good. However, if you look at some of the pricingthey have for the dinners I am not sure if it is all that accurate. i.e: I have a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 kiddos going t oChef Mickey's for the character dinner buffett so the costs are set. The spread sheet they created calculates that to total cost at $114.98 but when I checked the Disney.com Chef's Mickey page and the Allears.net menu page the actual costs for a family of four are a good bit higher. Same goes for askerhus and Ohana. Once I corrected for current pricing for us the DDP works out beause we are hitting 3 big ticket dinners and 2 mid sized dinners. For our family, we come out ahead so long as the DDP covered costs of our TS meals averages $88 per meal and the CS meals average $45. (your costs will be different since you are a family of 3)

Once knowing that then we just had to make the decision: Do we want to spend $100+ for dinner EVERY night we are there. If that answer is yes then the plan works. If the answer is no then we would have been better off OOP.

Either way we will also be using the TIW so even the items we purchase (wine/beer) that are not covered by the DDP we will save 20% on.
disneydan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #24
MomofIndigo
Mouseketeer

We usually do the DP but this year we are not. We did what you did and priced it out but we are saving ourselves in total $250. Neither plan worked for us. We felt it was too limiting for what we want for this trip. I did not want a table service meal everyday nor did I want to be restricted to counter service only. I make our snacks at home and pack them with us. So we did not need the snack credits the last time we went. So for us, it was not worth it.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #25
retlaw_yensid
Mouseketeer

I, like most people, spent lots and lots of time trying to research prices and work out the math. After awhile, I just came to the realization that while figuring out WHERE to eat in advance is necessary (for ADRs), figuring out WHAT SPECIFIC ENTREE you'll be in the mood for that far in advance wasn't going to work. So for me, the biggest draw to the DDP is just the convenience of it. We're on vacation...do I want to be the one in the group that questions what everyone wants to eat because of the price? No, I don't. Do I want to give them (and myself) the freedom to order whatever satisfies their craving that day? Yes, I do. I equate it to going on a cruise. By paying for the cruise, you've also paid for the food in advance. But when you are on the cruise, do you want to sit there and make sure your food selections are making the cost worth it, or do you just want to enjoy your vacation?
retlaw_yensid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #26
goherdibg
Earning My Ears

I posted this thread a few weeks ago:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131089

It points to a Dining Plan Calculator I created just to help answer these questions. It is still evolving and we will be updating regularly as we receive user feedback.

The address for the web site is http://www.distripplanner.com

GoHerdIBG
goherdibg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #27
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goherdibg View Post
I posted this thread a few weeks ago:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131089

It points to a Dining Plan Calculator I created just to help answer these questions. It is still evolving and we will be updating regularly as we receive user feedback.

The address for the web site is http://www.distripplanner.com

GoHerdIBG
Thanks, just ran your calculator, I had it do 1 appy and 1 dessert just for comparisons sake... My numbers were $1375 with tip, yours came up $1454--assuming no tip, and says I'll save $82 not doing the dp... So assuming I put that much (I was planning $1400) on gift cards, I will probably be fine with no dp and not really have to nitpick items people are ordering... When I run my numbers I usually do 1 high end meal, 1 middle and then the kids meal. So there shouldn't be much nitpicking anyway.

Great calculator, super easy to use!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: