Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Trying to price out if the dp is worth it...

Okay folks... I've perused the menus and prices, and threads... I get it that tip isn't included.... What about tax? Do the prices at all ears included the tax or do I have to add that on? I think I understand that the ddp pays for the tax though. So if a kid meal is $8.59 or what ever... Is that including taxes? If it is, I think I have my answer to ddp or not for us

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)

Last edited by Mommy2PrincessAbby; 07-07-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
IhrkeFamily
Mouseketeer

Taxes are covered with DDP. So when comparing figure in what you would pay OOP for meals plus tax versus what the cost per day for DDP is. Since you need to pay tip either way there is no need to include. Hope that helps with the math!

1997 - Stayed with sister who was CM
1997 - Stayed with sister, 1st time with fiance (now husband!)
2000 - Coronado Springs
2002 - All Star Music
2004 - All Star Movies
2005 - All Star Movies
2008 - All Star Movies
2009 - All Star Movies
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
August 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
IhrkeFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

All right... So if All ears says something is $18.99 that is not including taxes.... That sways us to the ddp then...

Check my thinking... I have $1050 of meals (going by what we are likely to order, no appys, very few desserts, no alcohol, mostly water to drink, occasional soda or coffee-which is how we eat in DL) add in approximately $70 in taxes (you math people, tell me can I just do 1050*.065?) add in tips which would be approx another $200, misc snackage of $125 comes up to: $1445

Vs the dining plan for 2 adults and a kiddo: dp cost (this might change for 2014 I guess, but right now...) $953.40 no need to add taxes, can order anything off menu, plus we don't have to just drink water, and we get desserts and possibly more snacks then we usually partake in, add $320 for OOP costs because we won't have enough credits to cover everything, and $200 in tips... $1473.40

So for $28 more we have more freedom in eating and drinking, and more food in general. Am I calculating right? Seems to me Disney has some pretty smart people figuring out how much to charge for the plan for our numbers to come so close to each other, we do get a little more of out the deal but not much for that $28 I think.

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Old 07-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2PrincessAbby View Post
All right... So if All ears says something is $18.99 that is not including taxes.... That sways us to the ddp then...

Check my thinking... I have $1050 of meals (going by what we are likely to order, no appys, very few desserts, no alcohol, mostly water to drink, occasional soda or coffee-which is how we eat in DL) add in approximately $70 in taxes (you math people, tell me can I just do 1050*.065?) add in tips which would be approx another $200, misc snackage of $125 comes up to: $1445

Vs the dining plan for 2 adults and a kiddo: dp cost (this might change for 2014 I guess, but right now...) $953.40 no need to add taxes, can order anything off menu, plus we don't have to just drink water, and we get desserts and possibly more snacks then we usually partake in, add $320 for OOP costs because we won't have enough credits to cover everything, and $200 in tips... $1473.40

So for $28 more we have more freedom in eating and drinking, and more food in general. Am I calculating right? Seems to me Disney has some pretty smart people figuring out how much to charge for the plan for our numbers to come so close to each other, we do get a little more of out the deal but not much for that $28 I think.
So for $28 more we have less freedom in eating and drinking
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhrkeFamily View Post
Taxes are covered with DDP. So when comparing figure in what you would pay OOP for meals plus tax versus what the cost per day for DDP is. Since you need to pay tip either way there is no need to include. Hope that helps with the math!
The tip would be canceled out if, and only if, you're ordering identically when doing OOP vs DDP. If you'd order more (e.g. sodas/desserts) with DDP, then it has to be figured into the total.

Quote:

For the bolded part: For an estimate, that's fine. There'll be slight rounding differences which can add up (remember, tax is always rounded up, even if it's $19.9900001, it will be rounded up to $20 ), but overall, it's not going to make that much of a difference)

The calculations look right, though the tip cost would be higher with the plan since you're getting a few extra desserts and sodas, though that won't be all that much either.

In the end, with a difference of $28, it's pretty subjective whether you feel that you'd be tied down by the dining plan, or freed up by it.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafeen View Post
The tip would be canceled out if, and only if, you're ordering identically when doing OOP vs DDP. If you'd order more (e.g. sodas/desserts) with DDP, then it has to be figured into the total.

For the bolded part: For an estimate, that's fine. There'll be slight rounding differences which can add up (remember, tax is always rounded up, even if it's $19.9900001, it will be rounded up to $20 ), but overall, it's not going to make that much of a difference)

The calculations look right, though the tip cost would be higher with the plan since you're getting a few extra desserts and sodas, though that won't be all that much either.

In the end, with a difference of $28, it's pretty subjective whether you feel that you'd be tied down by the dining plan, or freed up by it.
Thanks for the helpful response. As a DL vet, this whole dining plan thing is new to me, we have good friends who are wdw vets and swear by the dp, so I am trying to figure it all out. It's too bad that we can't flip an appy for a dessert sometimes... Which is about the only deviation I can come up with that might foil the whole dp idea... If we get sick of sweets and would rather have an appy... Which I can see happening, at DL it seems like we were inundated with sweet stuff without even trying (lots of buffet meals, and surprise treats in our room)... Good thing I can think on it a bit longer.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

I found that amazing spreadsheet from see you real soon... Omg, it took me 5 minutes to plug in what I have already spent too much time on!! Basically It said dont do the ddp... I'm going to play with some of my food choices, but I think it's right... I'll just load up my gift cards like we do for DL and eat as we please!

Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I found that amazing spreadsheet from see you real soon... Omg, it took me 5 minutes to plug in what I have already spent too much time on!! Basically It said dont do the ddp... I'm going to play with some of my food choices, but I think it's right... I'll just load up my gift cards like we do for DL and eat as we please!
Glad you came to your senses. Lol. Have a great trip.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post

Glad you came to your senses. Lol. Have a great trip.
Can tell you don't have an opinion on the matter lol

Old 07-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
brertoad
DIS Veteran

You would also get refillable mugs for each of you with the dining plan, that would make up the difference of the $28 more.

Me & DH
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
Mary7116
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brertoad View Post
You would also get refillable mugs for each of you with the dining plan, that would make up the difference of the $28 more.
Refillable mugs are a great Idea in theory but if you're relying on Disney transportation & staying in a rm
far from the resort restaurant they're bulky and cumbersome to carry around all day. You have to take another trip back to your rm if you don't want to carry them in the parks. Also, aren't regular drinks refillable?
Mary7116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Since typically we drink 1 soda a day on a vacation, the refillable mug is not something I am into... plus lugging it around?! Yeah, I'd rather get a cup for water occasionally

Old 07-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
xbatman
Mouseketeer

Location: Nittany Lion country, but then again, isn't everywhere Nittany Lion country?

Quote:
Since typically we drink 1 soda a day on a vacation, the refillable mug is not something I am into... plus lugging it around?! Yeah, I'd rather get a cup for water occasionally
It's good for coffee, too and for filtered water from the soda machine at the resort.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbatman View Post
It's good for coffee, too and for filtered water from the soda machine at the resort.
My hubby would like it for the coffee... I dunno... still thinking things through...

Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #15
missmickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Hi! I'm trying to decide the same thing for a summer 2014 trip! Can you pleases tell me where to find that spreadsheet? Thanks!
missmickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: