Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
Nohal
DIS Veteran

I also stayed at ASMo when it first opened and when they started to use the mugs. I know when I bought them that they were supposed to be forever mugs. I don't recall anything being written on the mugs and no longer have them as we get new ones every year and use them through the course of the year for our coffee at home.

1973 Off Site - 1979 Cont - 1990 CBR/Cont - 1991 CBR - 1992 CBR - 1993 POR- 1994 ASSp - 1995 ASSp - 1996 ASMu - 1997 ASMo - 1998 DL/ASSp - 2002 Pop/ASMo - 2003 ASMo- 2004 ASMo - 2005 ASMo -2006 ASMo- 2007 ASSp - 2008 ASMo - 2009 ASMo - 2010 ASMo - 2011 ASMo - 2012 ASMo -2013 ASMo - 2014 ASMo
Nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I wish they would allow us to pay a fee to reuse old mugs. I don't mind paying I just hate how many mugs the same we end up with
I guess the best solution then is just to throw out the mugs at the end of your visit.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Melissa View Post
I guess the best solution then is just to throw out the mugs at the end of your visit.
Or recycle them in the recyclable trash.

We first bought mugs in 1997 and they were limited to the length of the trip at the resort we bought them at. There was no writing on the mugs except for Polynesian Resort. Signs were posted overhead that they were limited to the length of stay.

On the Resorts board there is a sticky thread about refillable mugs.

On another board, I heard that on July 15, RFID refill stations come out. Probably linked to your KTTW or Wrist band.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

We have a ton of refillable mugs. Most of the ones prior to 2000 don't have anything written on them, but a lot of the ones purchased after say something along the lines of "only good for length of stay". We just always purchased new mugs. No one told us they were lifetime mugs when we bought the earlier ones (not saying CM's never told anyone that) because we just picked them up, paid for them, and started using them. We haven't purchased mugs in the past few trips, though, as the last few resorts we've stayed at the refill area is inconvenient to our room location and we don't eat at the CS restaurant at our resort.

If we have a car we stop at a place and pick up a pack of sodas for our fridge or use Garden Grocer. We don't do the dining plan (since we like to eat at 2 TS restaurants a day).
Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
DisneyHolidayFan
DIS Veteran

We bought our first mugs in 1996 while staying at POR. They were only good for that visit at that resort. We have purchased mugs almost every trip since (sometimes twice a year) and now just recycle them when leaving.
DisneyHolidayFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #21
kerri0616
DIS Veteran

Just cleaned out the kitchen cabinets and finally threw out old mugs. I saved one of each type just for a souvenir.

I miss the resort specific mugs! Just sayin'.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #22
jimmykitefan
Mouseketeer

Back in 2011, we were eating at ASMu with our "forever" mugs from the early 1990's and the manager came to our table to talk about them.
He had received an email saying there was such a mug but had never seen them. He was very nice about it.
jimmykitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
bluwater
Mouseketeer

I think it would be cool for people to be able to use ther old mugs, even if they paid a reduced fee for their use. It's nice when loyalty is celebrated with something whimsical like that. We still have our Year of a Million Dreams mugs and I use them as coffe mugs for the car. I'd love to see people using old mugs and check out what their mugs displayed and how old they are.
bluwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #24
DisMama3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwater View Post
I think it would be cool for people to be able to use ther old mugs, even if they paid a reduced fee for their use. It's nice when loyalty is celebrated with something whimsical like that. We still have our Year of a Million Dreams mugs and I use them as coffe mugs for the car. I'd love to see people using old mugs and check out what their mugs displayed and how old they are.
I agree, I think this would be an awesome way to see mugs "through the years". It would cut down on waste as well because so many people just throw them out. I guess the incentive to reuse would have to be good though to make people remember to pack them and bring them back. The resort specific mugs were so much better too!
DisMama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
Tiggr924
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!

We were also told way back when that our resort specific mugs were "forever." I would bring it and reuse it since that's what was the incentive when those were sold.

1986 ~ Hotel Plaza 1988,1991,1993 off-site 1995,1997 ~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort 2008, 2009, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside
Tiggr924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #26
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

This could happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I wish they would allow us to pay a fee to reuse old mugs. I don't mind paying I just hate how many mugs the same we end up with
With RFID as a key to the drinks dispenser, the old mugs might get new life once they allow access to the key independently of what container you select FROM which to drink. All that is still in the works so stand by with your transmitters. BEEP

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #27
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

Just as a side note...I've only been to Disney World once (March 2011). On the bus ride back to the airport the bus driver told the entire bus that if we bought the refillable mugs then be sure to bring them back next time because they are good forever and we could use them again. Now, since that time I've been here on Dis and have learned : 1. This is not true and 2. DW bus drivers say some crazy things. HOWEVER, if I had not become addicted to the Disboards, I would assume that he knew what he was talking about and we would've brought the cups back and used them again. I would venture to guess that a great number of people that do bring the cups back aren't necessarily doing so to be sneaky or steal from Disney. While I am sure that there are those out there that do it knowing they aren't supposed to, there are probably just as many who do it thinking that it is ok, especially if a Disney employee told them it was ok.

ajgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgardner View Post
Just as a side note...I've only been to Disney World once (March 2011). On the bus ride back to the airport the bus driver told the entire bus that if we bought the refillable mugs then be sure to bring them back next time because they are good forever and we could use them again. Now, since that time I've been here on Dis and have learned : 1. This is not true and 2. DW bus drivers say some crazy things. HOWEVER, if I had not become addicted to the Disboards, I would assume that he knew what he was talking about and we would've brought the cups back and used them again. I would venture to guess that a great number of people that do bring the cups back aren't necessarily doing so to be sneaky or steal from Disney. While I am sure that there are those out there that do it knowing they aren't supposed to, there are probably just as many who do it thinking that it is ok, especially if a Disney employee told them it was ok.
All you have to do is read the side of the mug. The rules are posted right there.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #29
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
All you have to do is read the side of the mug. The rules are posted right there.
LOL

They are implementing a new refillable mug program anyway called RapidFill.

You can choose how many days you want or pay for the whole stay. The mugs will have an RFID on them and will be deactivated after your allowable time. So it seems this problem will resolve itself sooner or later.

They're starting with the All Star Resorts this month and will roll out to the other resorts eventually.

You will need a new mug each time.

ETA... The good part is that you can use it any refillable station though, not just where you purchased it at.

AmyB2006 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #30
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Just went and looked, you are correct - however, I doubt I would have looked at my mug that closely if not directed to do so. My only point was that sometimes we shouldn't assume the worst in people. If an employee at Disney is telling hundreds of people a day that doing this is ok, well, I bet there are hundreds of people that are doing it thinking that it is ok. I'm not trying to say that it is right or ok, but I am sure that there are many that aren't doing it to try and rip anyone off or be sneaky. I tend to think the of best in people, makes life more enjoyable.

ajgardner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: