Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Can I use mugs from wayyyyy back?

Still have our all star mugs from 1999....these are still accepted? They were ASMo mugs....can they be used at any value?
chrismartinique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

There are signs on the soda machines saying the mugs are good for the length of your current stay only. The only place I've seen the CMs enforce that though is at CSR. Twice there I've seen the CMs tell people it's not allowed to use old mugs and they must purchase a new one each trip.

Let your conscious by your guide.

Last edited by aubriee; 07-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Are you asking if you are allowed to do so? If so, then no - the mug is only for that trip (and only for use that that resort).

If you are asking if you can get away with doing so? Maybe.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I wish they would allow us to pay a fee to reuse old mugs. I don't mind paying I just hate how many mugs the same we end up with
Minniesgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
lwake
Mouseketeer

I am assuming that you are not using the dining plan. If you were, then you'd get new mugs to use with it. Disney is very specific about their mugs being used for one stay only. Sure, people test the limits and try to sneak old mugs in but they have to deal with their dishonesty and tackiness. I would strongly suggest just purchasing new ones. They are only around $14 if you are not on the dining plan. Disney goes out of their way for guests, it isn't asking too much for guests to cooperate with their rules.
lwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
ashg8r
Mouseketeer

My understanding is there was a time and place that mugs were "forever", and those are the only mugs that are ok to reuse. I know they were resort specific, but not sure of details, just know I've seen it referenced on the boards.
We love WDW for Christmas! ** December 2012
Memorial Day Mayhem ** May 2013
A French Quarter Christmas ** December 2013
Good-bye Florida and Disney World trip ** April 2014
ashg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
tgropp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashg8r View Post
My understanding is there was a time and place that mugs were "forever", and those are the only mugs that are ok to reuse. I know they were resort specific, but not sure of details, just know I've seen it referenced on the boards.
We went to the Wilderness Lodge in 1994 and remembered (vividly) the cast member telling us that the mug was good for ALL future visits. We used it in 1996 but the logo got erased by washing it in the dishwasher. I can not recall if it had reference to future visits printed onto the cup. I found it a hassle to pack four cups into a suitcase to take along. We must have over 20 different mugs at home now
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Oh here we go....another can of worms. They def were forever mugs when purchased. I recall that clearly. Just wondered where they can be used. If that is no longer the policy I am not out to pull one over on wdw. No biggie, really!

Why is always assumed someone is trying to sneak or break a rule? This is the way it USED to be. Gosh.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

As stated by pp, mugs were once sold as lifetime use. I believe these mugs were sold 10 years or longer. If it is a lifetime mug, you are able to use it for as long as you have the mug. I think you can contact guest services by email to confirm.

Upcoming: 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 12/14 - AKV

2014: July - BWV, Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismartinique View Post
Oh here we go....another can of worms. They def were forever mugs when purchased. I recall that clearly. Just wondered where they can be used. If that is no longer the policy I am not out to pull one over on wdw. No biggie, really!
The problem I see is that most CM's today weren't around when the forever mugs existed. So when they see a mug that isn't being sold today being filled, they are going to think you are breaking the rules. Unless it says MAY BE REFILLED FOREVER somewhere on the mug, I don't think anyone will believe you aren't breaking the rules.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

Quote:

Why is always assumed someone is trying to sneak or break a rule? This is the way it USED to be. Gosh.
I agree that anytime a mug question comes up, everyone jumps to the idea that people are trying to steal. Sorry for the assumption of others. I did read it as you thought they were lifetime mugs. I think the large majority of members on this forum as in the same boat as current cast members in that they are unaware of these types of mugs.

Upcoming: 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 12/14 - AKV

2014: July - BWV, Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtony777 View Post
I agree that anytime a mug question comes up, everyone jumps to the idea that people are trying to steal. Sorry for the assumption of others. I did read it as you thought they were lifetime mugs. I think the large majority of members on this forum as in the same boat as current cast members in that they are unaware of these types of mugs.
Thank you for understanding. We were at ASMo and purchased these mugs the year it opened...before the year 2000. I have been going to WDW almost 40 years.... I wish I was young enough to be unaware

I will check my mugs to see if they have anything printed on them about future use. They have been in storage for many years.

The thing I don't understand when people assume is....would I post this in public forum if I was trying to get away with something or steal something?!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The thing I don't understand when people assume is....would I post this in public forum if I was trying to get away with something or steal something?!
Unfortunately it happens on here all the time, whether its people honestly trying to save $ or trying to see if they are smarter than Disney by figuring out a loophole in the rules. You see it all the time with tickets, mugs, room occupancy, fastpasses, ADR's, and parking.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
jbuey22
Mouseketeer

well

i do know one thing I have been getting the mugs since we started going with the kids and you can see my signature for the dates. We got mugs the very first time we went.

Then a year later we went back and brought our mugs and we used them no problem. Mostly because they didnt change much. BUT i do not remeber them being lifetime fills. In fact the 2nd year we came with the kids and brought our mugs back we did see a sign saying that mugs were for the current stay only. So you can see the signature and the dates. So I always got mugs and NEVER did I see them advertised and lifetime refills.

1989 The Disney Inn (Honeymoon) SOG was once owed by Disney Hence the Disney Inn
2000 AllStar Sports kids 8 & 5
2002 AllStar Music kids 10 & 7
2003 AllStar Movies Kids 11 & 8
2006 Port Orleans Fench Quarter kids 14 & 11
2007 Port Orleans Riverside Kids 15 & 12
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kids 16 & 13
2011 Coronado Springs Kids 19 & 16
and coming August...
2013 Carribean Beach Kids 21 & 18
jbuey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Gary M
DIS Veteran

We have been going to WDW since 1992. I can't tell you the year, but I do know that when at the Roaring Forks, at the WL, we bought our first refillable mug. We were checking out at the RF and the CM used the sales pitch that the mug was good forever, for free refills. This was the selling point. We were going to WDW 3 to 4 times a year and mainly staying at the WL in the '90's and early 2000's. We reused those mugs on several return visits to the WL.

What the situation on using those old "forever" mugs now is, I don't know. For the last few years our WDW trips have been cut down to about one per year. We haven't used mugs for a few years. I'm not a liar or cheat and am 100% sure the mugs were sold as lifetime refillable at one time.
Gary M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: