Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Box office update: 'Despicable Me 2' crushes 'Lone Ranger'

Not good news for the Disney Studios:

Quote:
From Entertainment Weekly

Those little yellow minions cant be stopped! Despicable Me 2 easily won the box office race on Wednesday with $34.3 million ($4.7 million of which came from Tuesday night showings beginning at 7 p.m.), putting it on pace for a remarkable $140 million five-day debut. The $76 million film, produced by Illumination Entertainment and distributed by Universal, will easily notch one of the best opening weekends of 2013. And with an enthusiastic A- CinemaScore, the film is on track to quickly surpass The Croods and Monsters University to become the biggest animated hit of 2013.

Disneys ultra-expensive western The Lone Ranger stumbled out of the gate on Wednesday, wrangling a terrible $9.7 million, which puts it on pace for a five-day debut in the $45-50 million range. The film, which stars Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer, cost at least $225 million to produce and could cause a major financial blow to the studio since westerns rarely play well outside of the United States.

by Grady Smith on Jul 4, 2013 at 12:37PM

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
NHDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post
Not good news for the Disney Studios:
$225 million for these terrible reviews? Wow. Do Depp movies, outside of POTC, make money?
WBC 2/11 and 2/13
POR 2/14
NHDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDisneyFan View Post
$225 million for these terrible reviews? Wow. Do Depp movies, outside of POTC, make money?
I think Lone Ranger was part of the deal to get him on board with more Pirates films. At least that's what I remember hearing. I do wonder what else is part of that deal.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
bayla89
Earning My Ears

I went to opening night with my friends, and it was so full they were showing the previews early! And I heard some kids walking out and they said "this is SO better then monsters university!" And I was like, "EXUSE ME " Lol, sorry, now I'm staring to ramble off
bayla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
WDWsweetsixteengirl
Mouseketeer

I saw a showing tuesday night and I thought the movie was fantastic! I absolutely loved it and I can't understand why it's getting so many bad reviews.

Some day my prince will comebecause a dream is a wish your heart makesand I saw him once upon a dream so I want to be a part of his worldbecause this is the tale as old as timeand it feels like a whole new worldpainting with the colors of the windO now I feel like I'm almost therebecause at last I see the lightAnd now I feel so brave

WDW 2006: Pop Century
WDW 2009: All-Star Movies
WDW 2011: Caribbean Beach
WDW spring 2013: ?
WDW summer 2013: Caribbean Beach?
WDWsweetsixteengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Actually the reviews are mixed, not all bad, and the rating from movie goers is very good.

While it will get "killed" by DM2, that doesn't matter in the long run. It is yet expected to have a decent opening for a western and may have a good long run. No it is not going to be another POTC, but it may yet do very well and spawn a sequel. Wednesday's data is too soon to tell.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Apples to Oranges argument as they are two very different movies... DM2 is a classic little kid movie with adult appeal, safe to take all ages from the 3 year old to the 47 year old. Lone Ranger is NOT a little kids movie, has more subtle and complex plot nuances... and lots of ultra violence. Except for money earned, there is not much to compare the two by IMHO.

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suger Mag View Post
Apples to Oranges argument as they are two very different movies... DM2 is a classic little kid movie with adult appeal, safe to take all ages from the 3 year old to the 47 year old. Lone Ranger is NOT a little kids movie, has more subtle and complex plot nuances... and lots of ultra violence. Except for money earned, there is not much to compare the two by IMHO.
Seriously.... Who doesn't enjoy a little milk before their Ultra Violence?

DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWsweetsixteengirl View Post
I saw a showing tuesday night and I thought the movie was fantastic! I absolutely loved it and I can't understand why it's getting so many bad reviews.
Me neither!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Forget lone ranger, disney should be more concerned about how Monsters University does overall against despicable me 2.

MU isnt out here in the UK yet, but I have a feeling after seeing DM2, MU wont be the best kids film of the year I've seen.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
Forget lone ranger, disney should be more concerned about how Monsters University does overall against despicable me 2.

MU isnt out here in the UK yet, but I have a feeling after seeing DM2, MU wont be the best kids film of the year I've seen.
If it were me, I'd care less about what MU does against DM2 and more about what it does in relation to it's own budget, MI, Pixar films in general, etc.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
dwheaton
Mouseketeer

I expect that the Lone Ranger will end up doing okay, but its budget is a huge crutch. If the reviews and word of mouth are mixed, then it's not going to have staying power (see Man of Steel) and will struggle to make a profit. I expect it will do well overseas and probably not hurt Disney's bottom line, but it's not going to be the POTC-like success they wanted. I'm not that interested in it.
dwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Seriously.... Who doesn't enjoy a little milk before their Ultra Violence?

Milk +

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #14
swebb0310
Mouseketeer

Despicable Me 2 was pretty much amazing. I loved it, and commented afterwards that those two movies are pretty much the only non Disney animated films I love. We saw monsters university and I super loved it too. I think it will do very well. The Lone Ranger has a totally different base of fans I think. I personally don't feel like I have to see it in the theater, but will probably rent it at some point. I don't think Lone Ranger can really be compared to Despicable Me.
swebb0310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Echo7Solo
Earning My Ears

The Lone Ranger was every bit as fun as POTC. It was a blast and my kids (9 and 5 both girls) loved every second of it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: