Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #31
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyeileen View Post
This isn't really true anymore. I think at one time it was true, but currently a 150k biennial contract is equivalent to a 75k annual contract with regards to fees.

I'm a happy Wyndham owner. Glad to see some other Tuggers have already directed you that way. Over the past year I've purchased 245k points for $1500 total (including fees/closing costs) and I got about a full years points included with the MF already pre-paid. My husband says we now have a moratorium on Wyndham points....

As far as remaining 2013 points, are you sure you won't be able to book a last minute getaway? Wyndham always has specials where the points needed for a stay get reduced up to 30-40% when you are booking something within about 60 days. Availability isn't usually too much of a problem for most of the resorts. You'd be surprised at what you can get!
The contract I am looking at right now just got it's points deposited in it on July 1st of this year so the points are actually good until next July. I just wish I had gotten to the contract before July so those points could be pooled.

The 2 other contracts have all of the 2013 points on them and we will probably try to get a trip in to Disney between now and the end of the year but not one that will use up 233,000 points. So I guess we will deposit what is left over at the end of the year into RCI so we don't lose them.

Am I to understand that you have to pay the $198 fee to RCI to start an ongoing search looking for an exchange? So you may have two hundred dollars tied up looking for a reservation and not even end up getting it through RCI?

I have asked a few questions over on TUG and found a guy who is very helpful. At first nobody seemed to want to answer a question and basically told me to go search for the answers myself. But eventually a guy came along and has been very helpful.

I have been reading on TUG and on the WYndham owners forum.
I have been reading the directory and researching completed sales on Ebay.

I have been trying to figure out how much we want to spend.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
staceyeileen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
The 2 other contracts have all of the 2013 points on them and we will probably try to get a trip in to Disney between now and the end of the year but not one that will use up 233,000 points. So I guess we will deposit what is left over at the end of the year into RCI so we don't lose them.
Yep, that's your best bet. Don't worry, you can still get some great deals trading through RCI especially DVC even after you factor in the $199 fee.

Quote:
Am I to understand that you have to pay the $198 fee to RCI to start an ongoing search looking for an exchange? So you may have two hundred dollars tied up looking for a reservation and not even end up getting it through RCI?
Yes, to start an ongoing search you do need to pre-pay the booking fee. If your search does not get a match, you get your money back. An ongoing search is good if you have a specific time period at a specific resort you are looking for. However, ongoing searches are not the only way to trade through RCI. You can just log in anytime and browse what is available. If you see something you want, you book it and pay the fee at that time. On TUG there is a "sightings" board where people post especially desirable resorts when they pop up as available on RCI. I've never started an ongoing search but have still seen DVC availability TONS of times that I could have booked had I had the points available.
staceyeileen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #33
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyeileen View Post
Yep, that's your best bet. Don't worry, you can still get some great deals trading through RCI especially DVC even after you factor in the $199 fee.

Yes, to start an ongoing search you do need to pre-pay the booking fee. If your search does not get a match, you get your money back. An ongoing search is good if you have a specific time period at a specific resort you are looking for. However, ongoing searches are not the only way to trade through RCI. You can just log in anytime and browse what is available. If you see something you want, you book it and pay the fee at that time. On TUG there is a "sightings" board where people post especially desirable resorts when they pop up as available on RCI. I've never started an ongoing search but have still seen DVC availability TONS of times that I could have booked had I had the points available.
Good deal. Glad to know that.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #34
icydog
DIS Veteran

Sorry to open up an old thread but I have no experience with Wyndham. My neighbor wants to give me 154,000 points-- maintenance fees are $850. Can I use those points to book a week in a two bedroom Disney Vacation Club resort? Maybe you can explain how it's done? Do I deposit the points into RCI and are they worth what a two bedroom say, Disney's Old Key West would be? Thanks

BTW, If you have any Disney Vacation Club or Marriott Vacation Club questions, those I can answer. I just don't have much knowledge when it comes to Wyndham and RCI. The $199 fee is the exchange fee and then Disney charges another $95, right?
icydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #35
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydog View Post
Sorry to open up an old thread but I have no experience with Wyndham. My neighbor wants to give me 154,000 points-- maintenance fees are $850. Can I use those points to book a week in a two bedroom Disney Vacation Club resort? Maybe you can explain how it's done? Do I deposit the points into RCI and are they worth what a two bedroom say, Disney's Old Key West would be? Thanks

BTW, If you have any Disney Vacation Club or Marriott Vacation Club questions, those I can answer. I just don't have much knowledge when it comes to Wyndham and RCI. The $199 fee is the exchange fee and then Disney charges another $95, right?
That would be enough points for a week during value season for a 2BR at Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

The rub is that you could probably rent the same week on ebay for around $700.

You are on the right track about depositing the points into RCI if you want to trade into DVC. (and pay those extra fees) There are lots of experts about this over at tugbbs.com that would know more.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #36
littlestar
DIS Veteran

Those maintenance fees are higher than my 154,000 Smoky Mountain contract. I pay $700 a year in maintenance fees on my Smoky contract with an $84.70 program fee (program fee varies by how many total points you own). Maintenance fees include an RCI account, though, which is nice.

Trading Wyndham points with RCI involves a grid with varying point requirements depending on time of year and size of unit. Look on Page 237 of the member directory for the grid. Sometimes they reduce the points slightly.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wynd...irectory11-12/

I wouldn't specifically buy/obtain Wyndham points for trading in RCI for DVC, but if you want access to the Wyndham system for their stable of resorts then that's different. We recently downsized our Wyndham points and bought more resale DVC points at SSR.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #37
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydog View Post
Can I use those points to book a week in a two bedroom Disney Vacation Club resort?
Yes, with some planning and a little luck. As you might guess, 2 BRs are harder to get than 1 BRs, but not impossible at all. This past December, we got an OKW 2 br, Dec 14-21, for 126,000 Wyndham points.

Like littlestar, we own at Wyndham Smoky Mountains and our MFs are about $1 per thousand less than yours (we have a 501K contract, so some economy of scale there). Our cost for the week, including the MFs on the points, the $200 RCI fee and the $95 DVC fee, was a little under $860. Using your figures, I get a little less than $1,000 for the week, provided you get it for 126K points.

You can do your own math comparing the costs between your DVC points and Wyndham including the $300 or so in fees. I know my cost was WAY lower via Wyndham/RCI than using my OKW points would have been.

Quote:
Maybe you can explain how it's done?
The best chance is to set up an ongoing search in RCI. DVC seems to do most of their deposits about 7 months out. If you put in a search 10-12 months out for a one bedroom, your chances are quite good. A 2 BR would be more difficult, but I've seen a lot of 2 BR success reported on TUG.

You can increase your chances of getting a match if you have flexibility in resorts and dates. I used a fairly wide range of dates, but limited my search to an OKW 2 BR -- nothing else. I put mine in at the last minute -- right at 7 months. I matched almost immediately, but when I checked the dates before confirming, I had a conflict. A couple of weeks later, I got the 12/14-21 match.

Quote:
The $199 fee is the exchange fee and then Disney charges another $95, right?
I think the RCI fee has now gone up to $209 online/$219 by phone. DVC will tell you the $95 fee is for transportation etc, but you're a savvy DVCer and you know better than that. It's just a "because-we-can fee."
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #38
skylizard
DIS Veteran

For those that own points and have set up an ongoing search, did you have to pay a fee? I'm an owner myself and called RCI to ask about and set up an ongoing search. The rep on the phone told me it was a $200 fee to set up the search (refundable once you book something). Does that sound right?
And do you have better success with the ongoing search than with checking the site throughout the day?
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #39
monagh10
Earning My Ears

To do an ongoing search with RCI you have to have a week or points deposited. I am not super familiar with how the points work but we have a week timeshare that when you want to deposit that week & exchange it for something besides your home resort requires the $209 exchange fee. The fee is only refundable if you don't find something through the search, if you find an option that you reserve they keep the $209 fee
monagh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #40
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monagh10 View Post
To do an ongoing search with RCI you have to have a week or points deposited. I am not super familiar with how the points work but we have a week timeshare that when you want to deposit that week & exchange it for something besides your home resort requires the $209 exchange fee. The fee is only refundable if you don't find something through the search, if you find an option that you reserve they keep the $209 fee
Thanks! The rep was wrong and I'm glad I didn't pay her ahead of time to set up the search. I was able to set up a search on my own and now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote