Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
CMCTxMom
Earning My Ears

First-timers out of Galveston - POC question

Hi all,

I've been reading Dis for quite a while - this is my first time posting.

I've just booked our family of 4 on the Wonder for our first cruise (taking advantage before they leave the Port at Galveston) leaving right after Christmas.

Does anyone know what kind of weather to expect at that time of year? We have 2 days at sea, and one in Cozumel. Any suggestions what excursion to do with a 5 and 8 year-old? Or can we just choose to stay on the ship and take advantage of the amenities there with lower crowds? Not really super-excited to go to Cozumel - more excited about the Disney Cruise!!!!

Thanks.
CMCTxMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

We went on a four night in February out of Galveston. It was hot at sailaway, nice in Cozumel and chilly when we headed back.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

I did an 8 night out of Galveston mid January. Weather was AMAZING!! It was sunny and about 65 when we left. Upon arrival back there, it had gotten warmer and was sunny and about 75. The weather was as fantastic as it was on the cruise.

Seeing as it seems January was beautiful, and Feb as well, I think that December should be good for you
Old 07-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
queenofeverything
Mouseketeer

Galveston could be anything from 50 to 80! Winters here are very mild for the most part. Fronts come thru and cool things off, but it is not usually cold for more than a couple of days. It is always warm in the Caribbean. The weather should be great in Cozumel. If your kids like the beach, there are some lovely beaches there. Do a search for Cozumel and you will find all kinds of information.
queenofeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
CMCTxMom
Earning My Ears

Cruisecrasher, can I ask you a question? I noticed your signature - Any extra advice for cruising with my DS5 who is allergic to dairy and eggs??? I've read a couple of sites, and have it noted in our reservation. We've traveled to WDW twice this year, so we're pretty versed on the Disney-awesomeness when it comes to allergies, but not sure if there was anything extra to be aware of in terms of the DCL. (I'm assuming I can get him soy milk from room service, even though it's not on the menus I've seen online...)

(So stinkin' excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 07-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Are you on the 12/27 cruise? Curious because I am and would love to see you on our meet thread if you are.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
CMCTxMom
Earning My Ears

We ARE on the 12/27 cruise! Is there a meet on that trip???
Old 07-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCTxMom View Post
We ARE on the 12/27 cruise! Is there a meet on that trip???
Wonder - 12/27/2013

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Cruising with Allergies/Dietary Restrictions and Kids

1.) Please note this on your reservation ahead of time so that proper ingredients/foods can be stocked on board.
Ex: if no one on board has noted a gluten allergy, there may not be any GF bread/pastas on board. They can still accommodate you, but in a much more limited way. Even worse, if only one GF child is noted, but 15 sail, they probably will run out of nearly everything over the sailing.

2.) When you register with the kids clubs (at the port) they will ask about your allergy needs in detail.
What foods, what degree (epi pen?), form of allergy (ingestion, skin contact), whether you anticipate issues with certain activities (if they are making cookie dough, would you prefer your child to participate in another activity away from that, or is that okay) will you plan on your child eating lunch/dinner in the clubs? The counselors will get to know your allergy child pretty well. Expect that the counselors may recheck this information every time you check your child in near a mealtime or possible problem activity.

3.) If you choose to go to Tea With Alice(or whichever character it is on your sailing) mention it to guest services when you pick up tickets on boarding.
They may be able to arrange an alternate snack for the tea. Normally it's juice and cookies. In a pinch, or if you forget, asking the cast member at the tea may get you a fruit plate in place of the cookies...or bring your own.

4.) Lunch on boarding is at one of two buffet locations. Mention your dietary issues to any server and they should fetch a chef to walk you through the buffet and let you know what is safe, or if you would prefer something specific, to make it expressly for you and bring it out to you. This will take a little patience as they are making the food freshly for you. Sometimes I've had language barriers with the chefs, but they're always willing to talk until your questions are satisfied about the foods available.

4.) Go to the designated lounge (on the classics, Rockin' Bar D or Wavebands) check your personal Navigator, but often around 2:30 the afternoon of boarding to make sure the allergy is noted with the dining team. If you're planning on specialty dining at Palo or Remy, check that they are expecting your dining needs.

5.) Room Service, can be allergy free, again if you're not worried about cross contamination, a fruit platter can be a quick snack, and wonderful before dinner. Generally special request like allergy free cookies may be requested through room service, but again patience beyond the normal cruiser is required (as in preorder for the next day) also not every person who answers the phone for room service will say yes. If you're persistent you can get some foods. Soy milk is available as well as some prepackaged foods.

6.) Quick service locations- fruit again is plentifully available on deck. There is a cross contamination risk with any of these locations.

7.) Dinner. Get comfortable talking to your servers, and most importantly your head server. The first night they will get to know your particular food issue. The head server generally handles all of the allergy meals for your table. My main issue was getting given adult size portions for my allergic children and the servers assuming DD4 didn't like Pad Thai (one of her favorites) because she ate a small serving. Chefs can talk to you. You can request things. They have burgers, fries, pasta, etc...kid friendly food as well as hummus and veggies and pretty well any variation of the adult options you can think your child would enjoy (grilled chicken, steak, grilled fish, etc also available.) dinner may take a little longer the first night as they prep allergy food on request.

8.) After dinner. Please stay and talk to your head server. The good ones will stop by before dessert. I've also had to hunt them down if there are rough waters and they're busy sending dinners down to rooms of their other tables. This will be when you can preorder lunch to the club or lab for the next day and preorder dinner for the next evening. After this, pretty nearly every evening will end with you preordering one or both of these...you can ask for specifics, or not. Usually we would say "chefs choice" for dessert. Got some really good options out of that and one that tasted oddly like a chocolate marshmallow with Hershey syrup all over it. Win some, lose some. Your head waiter will make sure that your child's allergy free meal arrives in the club when they're having lunchtime.

9.) Breakfast and lunch for the rest of your cruise. Either go through the same processes as on boarding afternoon or go to one of the sit down locations. I find there are pretty good options for breakfast with allergies and that special requests go faster here than in the buffets but that if you can eat off of the buffet, that is faster.

10.) Please let me know if there are any specific areas I've missed at you'd like me to explain in further detail. This listing includes all the double checking, much of which isn't necessary, but...
Sometimes I'd rather be safe than sorry. Most of it was stuff I had to find out my self over three cruises and if it helps anyone out, so much the better.

Happy sails!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Last edited by cruisecrasher; 07-11-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWQuestie View Post
Yes, this is us. Come join.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
CMCTxMom
Earning My Ears

Cruisecrasher - thanks for the awesome post! So much great information!!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCTxMom View Post
Cruisecrasher - thanks for the awesome post! So much great information!!!!
Any time. And it includes all the double checking, much of which isn't necessary, but...
Sometimes I'd rather be safe than sorry. Most of it was stuff I had to find out my self and if it helps anyone out, so much the better.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Tags
cozumel, galveston

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: