Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

AKL .... is it too far from everything?

probably staying MK resort this time but a little intrigued by AKL. Is it too far out? Did you feel like bus commute took too long because of this?

We stayed BC last couple times and I love the ease of getting to EPCOT and the studios. I am afraid AKL will seem soooo far away. Just wonder...may be its not so bad.
chrismartinique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismartinique View Post
probably staying MK resort this time but a little intrigued by AKL. Is it too far out? Did you feel like bus commute took too long because of this?

We stayed BC last couple times and I love the ease of getting to EPCOT and the studios. I am afraid AKL will seem soooo far away. Just wonder...may be its not so bad.
Everyone's opinion on AKL transportation is different, but with that said, we didn't find it bad at all. Since the buses only go to Kidani and AKL, there is no sharing with any other resort(s). We found it to take maybe 5 extra minutes getting to the parks compared to other resorts. AKL is out away from everything, but we thought the buses were fine and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. One advantage, IMO, with AKL being away from everything is that it's a quiet resort. We do like the hustle and bustle of Disney, but it's also nice sometimes to have peace and quiet.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

This is our favorite resort to stay at. As pp said, it does not share transportation with other resorts so we do not find it to be too bad. Since you mentioned probably staying at an MK resort this time, maybe take some time to go from the parks to Animal Kingdom Lodge and see how it may or may not work for you. Everyone's opinion seems to be different on this topic.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean, 11/2014 Celtic Thunder Cruise 2--MSC Divina
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran

AKL is beautiful and really a destination itself. Also, really enjoyed relaxing pool time. I thought the bus transportation excellent both times we stayed there---i love BC, but bus transport is quite tedious - they share w/like 5 resorts right?! It is really nice know when the bus rolls up you will have a seat and won't have to tour numerous other resorts before you are actually on your way to your destination.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

I remember that we did think that AKL seemed so far away, but again as mentioned the buses were never crowded so that was nice.

We really love going to Epcot the most, so we prefer Boardwalk now so we can just walk in.
Tinkerboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Are you getting a rental car or just using disney transport? We usually stay at SSR as it's our home resort so although we loved the theme of AK we were worried it was remote. However we didn't feel that during our first stay in May this year at all. The bus times felt similar to the parks ( apart from to DTD ) . But we did have a rental car we used also which reduced the remote feeling maybe. But we really enjoyed our stay and even if the journey times are a little longer. Totally worth it! Beautiful place, friend CM and the animals! Well you won't want to leave anyway :-)
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

The bus only takes about 5min more each way to MK/EP.
About the same distance from MK resorts to DHS

What I love most is that it doesn't share buses, and it's like a vacation in a vacation

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

One thing I did notice was the ME took a lot longer as it dropped off at multiple resorts and AK was the last. Kidani being the very last.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
mrsp1030
DIS Veteran

We rented a car when we stayed at AKL and loved it b/c there is also a great side road that takes you out near a super target we hit up for groceries. To me, AKL and WL are my two favorites simply for theming and variety of food options.
mrsp1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
One thing I did notice was the ME took a lot longer as it dropped off at multiple resorts and AK was the last. Kidani being the very last.
This might be luck of the draw. When we used ME this past January, the first stop was AKL.
tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

We loved the resort. The worst ride is to mk, but honestly what's a few extra minutes when you are at Disney instead of at home?
Old 07-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Funky Chicken
misses the Citrus Swirl at Sunshine Tree Terrace!

We love AKL. It's nice to get away from the faster pace of the monorail resorts-it's like a sanctuary for us and as other posters stated its like a vacation within a vacation.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
MYD714
Please stand clear of the doors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perditamarie View Post
AKL is beautiful and really a destination itself. Also, really enjoyed relaxing pool time. I thought the bus transportation excellent both times we stayed there---i love BC, but bus transport is quite tedious - they share w/like 5 resorts right?! It is really nice know when the bus rolls up you will have a seat and won't have to tour numerous other resorts before you are actually on your way to your destination.
This!

MYD714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
mmmears
DIS Veteran

We always stayed on the monorail or at an Epcot resort but were also intrigued by AKL, so we went there for dinner one night. We really loved the place (the theming, atmosphere, the animals, all of it). So we decided to give it a try (like you, we were worried about the distance to the parks) and did a split stay with a monorail resort. We LOVED it! So now our compromise is to stay part time at AKL and then move to a more convenient resort for the end of the trip. Honestly, the buses at AKL aren't all that bad (IMHO they are better than the buses we've tried at YC/BC/GF/Poly) but they aren't as convenient as that short walk to Epcot from the YC.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
disd55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perditamarie View Post
They only share with 4 other resorts in DD. Its just BC and YC most times, such as AKL and KV. And BC is last stop so then it is right to the parks!

I'm sure the buses aren't very crowded at AKL and the ride isn't terrible but could be better, such as if you stayed at other resorts. I just like staying at resorts that give you the option of more than one transportation option, such as Epcot Resorts (Boat, Walking and of course bus) and MK resorts (Boat, Bus, Walking, Monorail).
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: