Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #46
seethruguy
Mouseketeer

Boma seating

How is the seating at Boma. Do you have your own table or are you seated with another family? There are 4 of us. Its hard to tell from the pictures.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #47
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruguy View Post
How is the seating at Boma. Do you have your own table or are you seated with another family? There are 4 of us. Its hard to tell from the pictures.
Own table
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #48
shburks
DIS Veteran

Boma is one of our favorites and we often go out of our way to get there. Love the food there!

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014, Feb 2015 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #49
collegeprogram01
Mouseketeer

its a great place to eat...from the food to atmosphere...it is an all around great experience and offer samples of food that is hard to find both in and out of Disney!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #50
SandiR
Mouseketeer

My two kids, DH, and I all agreed that Boma was our favorite Disney restaurant. Yes, these things are subjective. I've hated books, TV shows, and movies that other people have raved about. That doesn't mean they weren't good. They just weren't my taste.

That being said, I think most people would enjoy Boma very much. If you end up going there, I hope you have a great time!
SandiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #51
Alexander
DIS Veteran

Just an FYI in case you didn't realize, but Boma rotates their menu. I'm not sure of the schedule, but you could very likely eat there two times in a week and have different food. I think primarily the main course, but they are also likely to vary the other dishes based on the season and what they can get fresh.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #52
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeprogram01 View Post
its a great place to eat...from the food to atmosphere...it is an all around great experience and offer samples of food that is hard to find both in and out of Disney!
Plus, we have always had wonderful wait staff!
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #53
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Disney View Post
We've gone to Boma 4 times,and have never had a bad experience,and will return each time we visit"The World".We enjoyed the fact that it WASN'T just "run of the mill",regular food...We appreciated the different tastes,spices,and types of food,and the ambiance of the place..really neat.Can't wait to go back!!! We were chosen as "Family of the Day"twice,and that made it even more special! Try it;you may or may not like it....but judge for yourself,not other peoples opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellitinkerbelli View Post
But to each his own. As my
Grandpa used to say "that is why there is Chocolate and vanilla"
Smart man, your Grandpa!!

BOMA
Liked it very, very, much.
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #54
Patience
DIS Veteran

We really enjoyed Boma when we ate there in October, 2011. We loved the hummus, the watermelon rind salad, the couscous, the bobotie, the salmon, the chicken, the soups, well, you get the idea. We are not, however, a meat and potatoes kind of family. In fact, steak and baked potato is one of our least favorite meals. If you are a meat and potato kind of family, you probably won't like Boma.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #55
TokyoSunrise
Earning My Ears

We have had breakfast and dinner at BOMA and were pleased both times.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #56
ConnieB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyStory3 View Post
I've never been to Boma but it was at the top of my list to try next time based on all of the positive reviews I've read. I recently started listening to Dis Unplugged and just listened to a scathing Boma review. I know that everyone's taste is different and it's always subjective. And, anyone can have a bad experience even in a great restaurant. But, it was multiple reviewers who all had a bad experience. And, they commented that they've gone several times and don't understand why everyone raves about it. They think the food is terrible. They were going to the kiddie station to try to find something to eat. Just wondering what others think???
I think the answer lies in the statement "they were going to the kiddie station to try to find something to eat".

The "kiddie station" has mostly typical Americanized child friendly foods. Boma is known for its cultural mix of foods, and for being one of the LEAST typical.

So....I would conclude that those complaining about it are the type that think anything with a spice they've never had is "weird".

My husband would fit that category....he'll try "weird" food....but not on his own. He travels a lot (like 200+ nights a year). My girls and I would be in SEVENTH HEAVEN being able to travel and try something new all the time....he goes for the chain restaurants only. the only "weird" food he gets is when he's home and we're cooking something new....he'll eat it because we made it, but he seldom finishes it and will get a sandwich or something an hour or two later. We keep trying....but there are only a small handful of "weird" foods that he actually enjoys. I would NEVER dream of taking him to BOMA...because he would be joining those cruising the chicken nuggets and mac n cheese on the kiddie station.

So....think about your own eating habits. Do you enjoy trying new things, exploring a bit? Then give it a try!

However, if you are not an adventurous eater, then I would not recommend Boma.
ConnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #57
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestavern View Post
We enjoy the food at Boma very much, but it's the atmosphere that's a big turnoff for me. It's a glorified cafeteria. I just can't bring myself to go back and spend that kind of money for that atmosphere when there are better options out there.
Interesting perspective. I disagree with it wholeheartedly, but interesting.

To me the point of a restaurant is the food with atmosphere being secondary. This is why I pass on so many places recommended on the boards; you know the ones... "the food is just ok but you're paying for the atmosphere"

I'm in it for the food - at Boma the food is top notch. I'd hardly consider it to be a glorified cafeteria, but we can chalk that one up to definition.

Op , I'd say give it a go - unless you're party is really the basic child menu type; in that case pass. Hope you have a good time either way
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #58
ConnieB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestavern View Post
We enjoy the food at Boma very much, but it's the atmosphere that's a big turnoff for me. It's a glorified cafeteria. I just can't bring myself to go back and spend that kind of money for that atmosphere when there are better options out there.
Gee, I think I'd like to eat at your cafeteria! Yes, Boma is a buffet and by definition that means that there are rows of heating lamps and food and short lines to get said food, therefore people milling about.

But heavens....the restaurant is beautifully decorated (I'm fairly sure a short search on google and you can locate photos), lighting is pleasantly dimmed, the chairs are padded, the table sure doesn't look like any stained, scratched, burned plastic top to me. I will agree that sometimes the noise level can get a bit loud at times....but I'd say that about any restaurant in or out of Disney that seats several hundred people at once....it certainly not as noisy as some of the steakhouses in my town though!
ConnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #59
kathie859
DIS Veteran

It's so true that food preferences are so subjective. I love Boma and usually don't make it past the soups and unusual salads. The soup chef is a master of flavors and textures. OTOH, I've tried Ohana 3 times and haven't had a decently served or properly prepared meal. And others rave about it
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #60
ToyStory3
DIS Veteran

We are somewhat adventerous eaters but we've never tried any type of African foods so I think we would just have to try it and see. What types of non-African or non-adventerous foods do they have in case we find that the African flavors are not to our liking?

ToyStory3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: