Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #31
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyStory3 View Post
I've never been to Boma but it was at the top of my list to try next time based on all of the positive reviews I've read. I recently started listening to Dis Unplugged and just listened to a scathing Boma review. I know that everyone's taste is different and it's always subjective. And, anyone can have a bad experience even in a great restaurant. But, it was multiple reviewers who all had a bad experience. And, they commented that they've gone several times and don't understand why everyone raves about it. They think the food is terrible. They were going to the kiddie station to try to find something to eat. Just wondering what others think???
I feel exactly the same way as these reviewers do and I've given Boma 2 shots.

I would not, however, choose any WDW restaurant based on reviews. If the restaurant sounds enticing to you, try it!!
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #32
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Have to say we have been once and I wasn't blown away but I didn't hate it either and I would go back. The soups were a disappointment as they were not refilling them and each time I went up there was nothing left the meats were good but I wanted more veg type things I didn't particularly like the salads and I hated the deserts. Our server was particularly useless and the tables are very close together so it is noisy and feels crowded. I will give it a second try as we were very jet lagged that night and may nave not enjoyed it because we were tired but I am not in a hurry to return.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #33
Mazz519
DIS Veteran

Boma has become a must do for our family on every trip... Dont go there if you just wasnt a plain Prime rib roast or fried chicken.. The flavors and spices that they use are very different almost comparable to Indian Cusine.... The soups are always empty because they are so good and go rather quickly. Me and my familyjust love the whole general atmosphere of the AKL Resort... Give it a try... but be prepared for a different style of food
Mazz519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #34
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

We've gone to Boma 4 times,and have never had a bad experience,and will return each time we visit"The World".We enjoyed the fact that it WASN'T just "run of the mill",regular food...We appreciated the different tastes,spices,and types of food,and the ambiance of the place..really neat.Can't wait to go back!!! We were chosen as "Family of the Day"twice,and that made it even more special! Try it;you may or may not like it....but judge for yourself,not other peoples opinions.
Don Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #35
retlaw_yensid
Mouseketeer

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking to myself "this will probably get me kicked off these forums."

When it comes to listening to podcast restaurant reviews, it didn't take me long to realize that the folks of the DIS Dining Reviews podcast seem to hate every restaurant and experience out there. They often turned into podcasts of "what else can I say that is scathing about the place? The service was terrible, the food was terrible, the atmosphere was terrible, but the breadsticks weren't too bad, if you got over their staleness..."

At some point, you just realize never to listen to another review...
retlaw_yensid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #36
picprincess
Earning My Ears

We have enjoyed it every time we have eaten there. We enjoy the variety!
picprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #37
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

I thought that it was just okay the first time we went. However, I have also come to realize that in past trips I pushed myself much harder then I should and thus might not have been feeling that well for some meals. As such, I will be giving it another chance next year. It was good enough to deserve a second chance.

There was a soup that I just fell in love with. It was a curry based soup and I actually ate more of that instead of more dessert!

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

I totally love Boma. If it sounds like something you might like, give it a try - then if nothing else, you'll know! Some places everyone around here seems to love, I don't, and vice versa.

Mmmm, Boma! One of my faves!!

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #39
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

We just tried Boma again last year. I wouldn't give it a negative review, but it was not to my taste. Nothing bad, I just didn't like the spices they uses on the food. I did find things I enjoyed, however, I probably would wait a few trips before going back. However, I love Sanaa!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #40
aliyasmomma2003
Earning My Ears

My family and I ate at Boma once. I ate happily and then I realized my four kids and my DH were staring at me. They were five unhappy people! We had to stop at the food court at POR for snacks on our way back to our room. I have been forbidden to make a reservation there again. A similar thing happened in the Morocco pavilion. I always try to sneak in something new and it doesn't always go so well.

Port Orleans Riverside: 2009, 2010
AllStar Music: 2011

POP Century 2013
aliyasmomma2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #41
msd1776
NebraskaDisneyFan

When I ate at Boma I wanted to try as many things as I could. I literally took 2 tablespoons of each soup so I could try each one! That was the secret to me enjoying the restaurant -- experimenting! Now, my husband didn't like it so much so we haven't been back.
msd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #42
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyStory3 View Post
I've never been to Boma but it was at the top of my list to try next time based on all of the positive reviews I've read. I recently started listening to Dis Unplugged and just listened to a scathing Boma review. I know that everyone's taste is different and it's always subjective. And, anyone can have a bad experience even in a great restaurant. But, it was multiple reviewers who all had a bad experience. And, they commented that they've gone several times and don't understand why everyone raves about it. They think the food is terrible. They were going to the kiddie station to try to find something to eat. Just wondering what others think???
Try it once, at least. Check out tripadvisor for the most objective recent reviews.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #43
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer

I know some will think this is a poor comparison but here goes... Ask yourself this question are you a A. plain fried chicken eater or B. spicy cajun was that really chicken eater? If your A. stick to places like 50's Prime Time if your B. Def try Boma... If your a little of both, hey go for it, it's the only way you'll know

9/13(POP) 3/13(AKL) 3/09(Pop) 3/07 (ASM)
9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
DonoMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #44
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by retlaw_yensid View Post
As I'm typing this, I'm thinking to myself "this will probably get me kicked off these forums."

When it comes to listening to podcast restaurant reviews, it didn't take me long to realize that the folks of the DIS Dining Reviews podcast seem to hate every restaurant and experience out there. They often turned into podcasts of "what else can I say that is scathing about the place? The service was terrible, the food was terrible, the atmosphere was terrible, but the breadsticks weren't too bad, if you got over their staleness..."

At some point, you just realize never to listen to another review...
Thank you. I tried listing to the podcast several times and just realized they must have quite depressing lives if all they can do is whine and moan about every last restaurant in WDW

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #45
sotoalf
DIS Veteran

Well, it's their job to evaluate. Sometimes the Mickey waffles aren't so magical.
sotoalf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: