Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
smorkovsky
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
Not another stroller thread. Do what's best for your family.
Wow, that feels so welcoming. Thanks. Apparently I should have spent a bit longer scrolling through old threads since that is easier than dealing with snark from people who can't be bothered to skip over disinteresting threads.

Otherwise, thanks for the responses. I thought I had most of these things figured out, but reading thread after thread makes you think you need to reconsider some things and ask the people who have BTDT. I don't want to schlep one through an airport, and I don't think we'll need it, so I guess I'll just figure that one out on the fly. That sounds like a cheap way of doing things. (eye roll)
smorkovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

If you are asking "do I need a stroller" = the answer is yes!

My DS7 used a stroller in DL because "we" wanted to have a great full day from rope drop to fireworks. We are going back to WDW in October and plan to use a strolled on several of our crazy day.
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
DavidNYC
DIS Veteran

Our twins are just about to turn 4 and I can't imagine going without a stroller. At this point, Disney, airports and other crowded carnival-like places are the only place we actually use one.

However, once they got to the point where we used strollers for only these limited things, we got rid of our jogging stroller and got a nice lightweight but sturdy double. That City Elite that first year was a PAIN to travel around wtih. Our new one is about half the weight and folds really easily and compactly.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorkovsky View Post

Wow, that feels so welcoming. Thanks. Apparently I should have spent a bit longer scrolling through old threads since that is easier than dealing with snark from people who can't be bothered to skip over disinteresting threads.

Otherwise, thanks for the responses. I thought I had most of these things figured out, but reading thread after thread makes you think you need to reconsider some things and ask the people who have BTDT. I don't want to schlep one through an airport, and I don't think we'll need it, so I guess I'll just figure that one out on the fly. That sounds like a cheap way of doing things. (eye roll)
Having it in the airport is a big reason we bring one! MCO is a pretty big airport, imo, plus you have to get on the tram, probably have carry-ons, etc. That and back to the resort at night.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #20
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

We put DD in a stroller when she was 18 months and that was the last time. Our plan when she was younger since we went in the summer was rope drop then back to hotel for a break and then back in the evening when things were cooled down. We didn't have a problem carrying and plus we enjoyed it so we could here her reactions and join in on the conversations.
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14
Kimi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #21
MomofIndigo
Mouseketeer

We bought an umbrella stroller w/ a basket at the bottom. It cost about $25. Now we take it on trips to WDW only. We didnt always need it during the day. We would park it and then come back for it when we wanted to go to another land or leave the park. By the end of the day when DH and I were tired it was nice to have. She fell asleep on the bus almost every night. By having that stroller we were able to open it up and plop her right in it...

It is up to you but like others have said "better to have it and not need it than not have it and want it".
Old 07-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
IslandAdventure4
Salt Life Livin

This was a hot topic right after we booked our trip. we have a 7 and 5 yo. the last time we went we used our double stroller. There was two areas where were going to miss it. 1 to hold all our stuff. it was perfect to hold backpacks, souvenirs, and had plenty of cup holders 2nd the DW and I enjoy strolling (no pun intended) with an adult beverage around the World Showcase at night, and Kids would always fall asleep in the stroller making it quite enjoyable for us both

1/12 Saratoga Springs - 11/09 POR - 1/08 All Star Sports - 01/07 Saratoga Springs - 01/01 All Star Movies - 2/99 Caribbean Beach
IslandAdventure4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
smorkovsky
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
Having it in the airport is a big reason we bring one! MCO is a pretty big airport, imo, plus you have to get on the tram, probably have carry-ons, etc. That and back to the resort at night.
Thanks! Airports with little kids are so hard!!
smorkovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #24
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorkovsky View Post

Stick around, you will see this question posted at least once a week. :-)

Here is my answer based on our trip just a few days ago. My kids I expect to walk where ever and when ever. They are active and athletics kids who play competitive sports. By this I mean as a family we can go on a 2-3 mile run together. We recently started taking the kids to swim laps at our community pool.

We just went with relatives and a 4 year old (one month shy of 5) who is not use to walking. I mean, she gets tried walking one block and wnats to her dad to carry her from because she is too tired. She needed a stroller, which we had because of her little 10 month old sister anyways (rented a double). If your kids are not use to walk a lot, more than likely you will need the stroller or to start taking them on long walks to build up their endurance. Personally, I would try to build up my kids endurance level as much as possible. Actually, this is a good idea for adults as well. There are many adults who are not use to walking distances who need to build up endurance.

Taking a stroller... or not... really is an individual preference based on the parent's expectations and knowing their own kids.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #25
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
Stick around, you will see this question posted at least once a week. :-)

Here is my answer based on our trip just a few days ago. My kids I expect to walk where ever and when ever. They are active and athletics kids who play competitive sports. By this I mean as a family we can go on a 2-3 mile run together. We recently started taking the kids to swim laps at our community pool.

We just went with relatives and a 4 year old (one month shy of 5) who is not use to walking. I mean, she gets tried walking one block and wnats to her dad to carry her from because she is too tired. She needed a stroller, which we had because of her little 10 month old sister anyways (rented a double). If your kids are not use to walk a lot, more than likely you will need the stroller or to start taking them on long walks to build up their endurance. Personally, I would try to build up my kids endurance level as much as possible. Actually, this is a good idea for adults as well. There are many adults who are not use to walking distances who need to build up endurance.

Taking a stroller... or not... really is an individual preference based on the parent's expectations and knowing their own kids.
I agree with the bolded. DD walked most of a week at Disney when she was 22 months old. She is 3 and we go on family hikes/nature walks. She walks them on her own. She walks everywhere all the time. She can walk over 3 miles before she needs/wants a break. When we go back to Disney she will be the same age as your daughter. Sept/Oct trip with 5th birthday in December. I have no plans to use a stroller for her. She can walk it so she will. Shows and ice cream breaks are a great rest.

BUT, if your DD is not used to walking a lot then you will most likely need a stroller.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
rt2dz
DIS Veteran

My kids are out of a stroller at home by about 3. At Disney, more like 6. It's just....different. And my kids walked 2 miles to school at 5! I am offering no other opinions because it is such a hot button topic.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #27
aprilmay
Earning My Ears

YES! We took our five- and three-year-olds in April, and we must have said a thousand times that renting from Apple Strollers was one of the best decisions we made in preparation for our trip. I absolutely would not go with small kids without one. By the way, neither of my girls uses a stroller at home. We don't even own one anymore. But, again, the heat, the crowds....it's just too much without some place of reprieve...
aprilmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
charminnie
Mouseketeer

I have a 7 and 5 year old. We rent Disney strollers. My 5 year old is big enough to deal with traveling from hotel to park, but in the park she needs a place to sit and rest her feet. When they were younger we used side by side. Disney is alot of walking espevially for those little legs.
charminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
navywifetill2002
Mouseketeer

My DD is about the same age and I will be taking one for our Sept trip. We go from rope drop to park close for 8 days and while she has never been a napper and doesn't want to stop what we are doing for a rest her little legs just can't keep up all day. We use it to get into the park and to an area then we park and do that whole area by foot the she gets a ride to the next area and back to the resort at night.
navywifetill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #30
Cappy81
Mouseketeer

DD is the same age and we will be renting a stroller, not sure yet how much we will have to use it but want one on hand just in case.

3/12 Poly, 9/12 AKL, 9/13 WL, 9/14 AKL
Cappy81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: