Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
smorkovsky
Earning My Ears

Do we need a stroller?

I know that's a individual decision, but from your experience....

My youngest will be almost 5 when we go (trip Sept, birthday Dec.). I doubt we will spend more than 5-6 hours at a time in a park, and her daddy will undoubtedly carry her on his shoulders from time to time. I have a great jogging stroller I'd rather take (rather than rent, I mean) if I'm going to need a stroller, and based on what a lot of you guys have said, I'm starting to think I'd be an idiot not to take it, but I originally thought we'd be fine without. We are flying, so I'm not lugging it unless you guys tell me I'm an idiot, lol!
smorkovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Our family cut-off has always been 4, BUT many on the DIS feel that up to 9 or 10 is fine! I would never push a 10 year old around in a stroller, if anything they can push me around in one at that age, but hey if it works for them!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Personally, I would bring a stroller for a four year old.

We bought a cheap umbrella stroller ($20) before we left and gate checked it at the airport. It was small and easy to fold but perfect when we needed it.

It was especially useful when we rode the bus back to our resort in the evenings. My daughter always fell asleep on the bus, so as we exited the bus, we would pop the stroller open, put her in it and then grab a coffee or snack from the food court. Perfect!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

Not another stroller thread. Do what's best for your family.

Next Trip Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

We only rented one once when my DD was 4 (in Epcot). The rest of our days in the parks she walked or her father carried her. Mostly she walked. Our other child was 6 and didn't need one at all.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
fflmaster
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I remember a time when my twin boys were 7. We thought there was no need for a stroller. They were out of that at home why would we need this?

After the second day of exhausted children in the heat (even though we only spent half a day in the park) we found the stroller was just a necessity for them and for Mom and Dad's sanity.

Now we would usually go at rope drop and leave for lunch/break then head back to the park at 5/6pm for the evenings.

I would recommend renting a stroller from an outside company for the week. On one evening toward the end of our trip the boys were just too tired and fell asleep in the "disney" rented stroller. Mom and Dad had to carry them to the monorail and back to room after we returned the stroller at the gate (stayed at the Poly). However, being this was July 4th time frame the entrance to get on the monorail was a very long wait. We still tease the boys about that today.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
WishingMom
DIS Veteran

I used one when first DD was 4, would never have though about going without one then. With the heat, and the crowds etc, it was better for her to be in a stroller.
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
Me DH DD15 DD3
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Mickeymagic123
Mouseketeer

I say yes to the stroller. Crowds, heat, pace are things to consider. We don't use one at home but will use a small umbrella stroller that we can gate check, for our upcoming trip.

1st trip - I was 28 years old () Offsite
Jan 2011 - Grand Floridian
Sept 2012 - Pop Century
Sept 2013 - Caribbean Beach
May 2014 - Disneyland
Sept 2014 - WDW

Mickeymagic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Aquatic
Earning My Ears

My DD is 5 and we were there in May. She doesn't normally use a stroller, but we brought ours which is a Combi... So the stroller was not big, but it has a good canopy.

I found it helpful to have a stroller. The canopy help shield her from the sun, too.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Bring it. Better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it. DD2 will be nearly 5 this year and we're taking one. Last year for her 4th birthday DD1 was 7 and still wanted in it and we didn't bring a second stroller for her so we had to share despite the fact that my wife and I didn't think she should be in one. She's too big for it now so she'll have to walk and we've expressed that to her many times over. At age 5 though I would definitely bring it. Dad's shoulders get sore after a bit and sweaty and yucky.

If you get through the first day and she's not wanting it then leave it in the hotel afterwards. You will also find they are great for schleping stuff.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

Next trip -
squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I wouldn't bet on daddy wanting to do the shoulder thing a whole lot. It can be very hot, and there are many low hanging signs you just don't notice until you have a little one up high. My brother in law managed to crack his son's head pretty hard on one during a shoulder ride. That was the last time he was up there.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I am not even joking.... I saw a 13/14 year old in a stroller last week at DHS. So people go up to ALL kinds of ages.

We stopped strollering when our youngest turned three... you know your own child and what he/she can do.
Suellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
We bought a cheap umbrella stroller ($20) before we left and gate checked it at the airport. It was small and easy to fold but perfect when we needed it.
Yeah, that sounds ideal to me, too. It's easy to fold and unfold, light enough to carry when you're not using it, and not cumbersome like a large stroller when you are. Plus, as you say, it's cheap enough that you don't really care if it gets banged up or even if you don't bring it home with you afterwards.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
Murron
Murron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
Not another stroller thread. Do what's best for your family.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Better to bring it and not need to use it than to not have it and want it.

Otherwise, I agree with the others, do what is best for your family once you arrive.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: