Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Kanga1
DIS Veteran

AKL- Anyone prefer PV over SV?

We are looking at staying at AKL for our next trip and I'm having a hard time with which view to book. My brain is telling me to book SV because that is the best and how can you stay at AKL and NOT have a SV!? However, my heart is telling me to book a PV because, to me the view is much prettier than looking out over the savannah. Let alone the fact that it is cheaper and closer to the pool, lobby, and bus stop...which are very important to us.

Anyone else prefer pool view over savannah?

Kanga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga1 View Post
We are looking at staying at AKL for our next trip and I'm having a hard time with which view to book. My brain is telling me to book SV because that is the best and how can you stay at AKL and NOT have a SV!? However, my heart is telling me to book a PV because, to me the view is much prettier than looking out over the savannah. Let alone the fact that it is cheaper and closer to the pool, lobby, and bus stop...which are very important to us.

We had a savanna view and loved it. I'd get up in the middle of the night and the first thing I'd see is a giraffe standing outside. However, it is true that the pool views are more lush, cheaper, and people on the boards seem to love them. But for me I could get this kind of view at another hotel. We happen to love animals. Our view was all about the animals and not noteworthy otherwise if that makes a difference.
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
anjalee6
DIS Veteran

We book PV most of the time. We really like it. It's convenient to the bus stops, pool of course, restaurants, lobby. We don't spend tons of time in our room so for us, it makes more sense to save money. When we want to see the animals, it is a very short walk to one of the savanna viewing areas. The whole resort is so pretty that we never feel like we are missing out. We have done savanna views and they are very nice, but we don't miss them when we stay PV.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

Pool view is not necessarily closer to everything -- our first stay at AKL, we had a pool view, and it was just above the Mara on the Zebra trail. It was actually further along the trail than the savannah room we had on our next stay.

It can also be noisy. And I really don't remember it being that scenic. In fact, it has kind of disappeared from my memory. When I think of AKL, the ONLY views from a balcony that I recall are those of the savannah.

I don't really think I'd pay extra for the pool again (in fact, that pool view was an unexpected upgrade they gave us that time). We are currently booked in a standard view room for late August, but I think i've pretty much convinced myself to spring again for the savannah upgrade. The savannah is what makes AKL unique.

And you can always ask for a room close to the lobby. I know it's only a request, but they have always been very accommodating.
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
paradesintherain
Earning My Ears

I loved our pool view room at AKL. I've never had a savannah view, but there's so many opportunities to see the savannahs while walking through the resort I never felt deprived.
paradesintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
paradesintherain
Earning My Ears

Here's our view. I don't remember it being noisy at all, but our room was pretty far from the lobby, which was ok. I think if I did it again I'd want to make sure to request a room on the highest floor because some of the trees have gotten really tall and there probably wouldn't be much of a view on lower floors.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Kanga1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post

Here's our view. I don't remember it being noisy at all, but our room was pretty far from the lobby, which was ok. I think if I did it again I'd want to make sure to request a room on the highest floor because some of the trees have gotten really tall and there probably wouldn't be much of a view on lower floors.
Thanks for the pic! Do you recall what trail you were on?

Kanga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
paradesintherain
Earning My Ears

Looking at the map I think it must have been Zebra trail between rooms 4451-4486. I remember for sure it was the fourth floor and based on how the pool is in the view I think that has to be correct.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post

Yes, that's a good point. We were on a lower floor.

Also, although there are plenty of places to see the animals, depending on where you are, you might have to go out of your way a bit. None of the restaurants face a savannah. The pool is not on the savannah. The lobby is grand and faces out on Arusha rock, but the rock obscures the savannah. If you had a pool view on the Giraffe Trail, you would be far from the animals. If you are on the zebra trail, you *can* catch glimpses between the building sections.
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

We have stayed SV twice and PV once. I love animals so of course I prefer the SV rooms but they do come at a premium cost. That's why we tried PV. We were in room #4418 on the Zebra Trail in the block of rooms closest to the lobby etc. Although we were there in February there was still a lot of noise from the pool, especially during the afternoon. For us, that was only a problem on arrival day when DH would have liked a short nap. Otherwise we were in the parks during the day. Here is the view from our room:
Kathy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

We stayed PV and LOVED it! DS was in Kindergarten and thank goodness DH could still carry him...he would always fall asleep on the bus. There is a handy dandy door that goes directly into the Giraffe arm very close to the bus stop. You use your room key to enter and bam, there you are. I think we had to go up one flight of stairs to get to our lobby level room? LOVED that easy walk at the end of the day.
TxRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at AKL 3 times. Twice we stayed in a PV room and LOVED it. This past trip we booked a PV room and were upgraded to a SV room.

While we enjoyed the SV room, after experiencing the resort from both views - we all agreed we would never pay the significant cost difference for a SV. In fact we much prefer the location of the PV. We find them to be more centrally located and more convenient to the Mara, pool and lobby. AKL is very high on our list for next years May trip - if we stay there we will definitely be booking a pool view.

~ In May 2012 our pool view was on the second floor near the pool slide. It was super quiet. Even with the nightly movie going on, we never heard a thing.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

We have only stayed at AKL once (thus far!). We booked a standard room and either we were upgraded or our room was a "good standard". We looked out over the savannah. Not sure which one - we were on the zebra trail all the way down on the last out cropped wing (2541-2566). We had animals all over the place. However...it was TOOOOO quiet. We love hearing the noise of the resort. Being out on the balcony I really felt like I couldn't talk w/o disturbing anyone around me. So, I am glad I didn't pay for Savannah view b/c I don't think it's worth it - FOR ME!

We are staying there in 36 day (whose counting??) and we have paid for a pool view. i want the NOISE and the VIBE and the ELECTRICITY of the resort!

Hoping for a high floor. Not so much so I can see the pool. but so I can see ANYTHING thru the trees. Just got back from San Diego and we had a 3rd floor room but a palm tree RIGHT in front of our deck. It was very claustrophobic...couldn't really see around it at all..

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
Cappy81
Mouseketeer

We were very happy with our pool view room. We were on 4th floor, Zebra Trail.

3/12 Poly, 9/12 AKL, 9/13 WL, 9/14 AKL
Cappy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga1 View Post

We've stayed in both and while the savanna view was nice, we loved the pool view just as much and wouldn't hesitate to book pool view again. We had a pretty view and our room was close to the lobby, pool, and Mara.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: