Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

End of June Crowds?

How bad are the crowds at the end of June?

We're thinking of planning another Disney trip, but it won't be until 2015. DS11's birthday as well as mine, are both in June (and two days apart). I've done the summer months back in 86, 90 and 93 and I remember how crowded the parks were and how hot is was back then. Has it gotten any worse over the years? Based on having done this before, I'm a little leery about going in the summer again.

One other thing, we will only have between June 15 and December 17, 2015 to take this vacation. We are joining another bowling vacation league and those are the dates where bowlers can take their vacations. Last time we did this league, we earned $1500 total credit over the course of 2 years, which was a huge savings off of our last Disney vacation

Thanks.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Still crowded. Probably even more so than before.

Still hot. Probably even more so than before (global warming).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
DaughterOfTriton
Earning My Ears

We just got back from our trip on Sunday. I expected incredibly hot temps and an overwhelming number of people. It was very hot when you would expect it to be (between 10 and 3 in the afternoon) but the early morning and evening were tolerable. I think crowds were around an 8 on average, and we also found that tolerable. I was expecting a lot worse to be honest. For reference, we were on our honeymoon and don't have children, so maybe perspective is different for an adult trip.

I'm a teacher and summer is my only option for an extended trip, and we would definitely try going at the end of June again.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Thanks ghtx

We're going to have to do a lot of thinking on this one as to when the best time would be for us. We might even be able to scale back on the number of days since we did 9 days last time.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
dimndgal1
One little spark...

We did June 24-30 last year and used RD, FP and EMH to our advantage, along with midday breaks and had no problems. Admittedly, we had two days of monsoon rain, which gave us emptier parks, but even on the dry, sunny days, we knocked out everything we wanted.

Lines midday were crazy, but we often left the parks just after lunch and came back around dinner when crowds thinned out. We made sure to always have a FP on us, especially if we had to wait standby - that way we were waiting for two rides! - and we got to see all the evening shows and parades with no issues.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
think-like-tink
DIS Veteran

We go in July. I can only assume that the crowds would have picked up a bit because all of the schools are at by that time.

I am sure its hot, hot. hot. Like I said, we go in July but, I can't imagine the temps. are that much in difference.
[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/qclo93tkqequauum.png[/img][/link]
think-like-tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
itradehilton
Mouseketeer

We arrived on the 16th of June and compared to this past week the parks did not seem to bad. We are on a 3 week trip. The only exception was MK which was packed. Also the big 2 or 3 rides at each park needed fast passes as wait times were up to an hour or more within an hour of park opening.

me DH: DS #1 DS #2
itradehilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

Quote:
Originally Posted by itradehilton View Post
We arrived on the 16th of June and compared to this past week the parks did not seem to bad. We are on a 3 week trip. The only exception was MK which was packed. Also the big 2 or 3 rides at each park needed fast passes as wait times were up to an hour or more within an hour of park opening.
I agree. We usually go in early June, during SWW. This year we arrived and went to DHS. We were pleasantly surprised at how not crowded DHS was compared to our past trips.
MK, however, was crazy!!! We still did all we wanted by arriving at RD almost everyday, utilizing FP, and spending 2 days at MK and Epcot each (1 for AK and 1 for DHS).
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
valeriemouse
Mouseketeer

Honestly, I just got back and it was fine. I expected a lot worse. We got EVERYTHING done at a leisurely pace, park hopped, had a few early nights and late mornings and the weather, besides a few rain moments, was VERY tolerable. We were even chilly at night sometimes! I come from hot and humid summers, so the weather in FL never really bothers me, but even so, it was pleasant.

The key is getting up early, and using fastpass. We fast-passed all of the big rides, multiple times. And everything else was pretty much walk on. I'm a teacher and have gone at all points of summer - early, mid, late June, July and August. The last week of August is my fave, followed by the last week of June.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
KTMEMOMMY
Mouseketeer

We were at Epcot this last Sunday, 6/30, then BB Monday and MK Tuesday. I expected much, much heavier crowds, esp. with it being 4th of July week. We were there for RD on Sunday and Tuesday and walked on to the rides we most wanted to do without sprinting through the park to get there! Weather was not great so maybe that kept the crowds lower but we were pleasantly surprised. Everything felt quick and efficient.
KTMEMOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

The only time my family has been in June was last June from roughly the 22nd to the 26th.

Look at my signature for all the different times we have been down, it was probably one of the quietest times we have been there. Most rides had 20-30 minute waits (which I don't think is that bad) and the major ones never went over a hour. We've waited up to 3 hours in line for some of the major rides, so a hour isn't bad for us. Some might think differently. I'd compare it to early December and mid January.

Tropical Storm Debbie was the weekend we were there however I don't think that effected crowds. If people already had a trip booked, they weren't going to change it because of a TS! Also, the day we went to the MK was before Debbie really hit.

disneylovin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Oh yeah, forget to mention the weather.

Was nowhere near as hot as we expected! May have been due to Debbie but still, a pleasant surprise. For months people thought we were dumb because it would be so hot but it wasn't. 70's most days and a few nights it was cool enough for us to wear sweatshirts.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
Oh yeah, forget to mention the weather.

Was nowhere near as hot as we expected! May have been due to Debbie but still, a pleasant surprise. For months people thought we were dumb because it would be so hot but it wasn't. 70's most days and a few nights it was cool enough for us to wear sweatshirts.
THIS! We were there same time and I had warned family to bring sweatshirts or light jackets and they were so glad they did. Especially when you factor in that most parks are open super late.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
THIS! We were there same time and I had warned family to bring sweatshirts or light jackets and they were so glad they did. Especially when you factor in that most parks are open super late.
We had jackets packed just because we saw it would be wet and wet and cold usually go together.

Definitely check the weather before you go. Just never assume anything. Just because it's June does not mean it is going to be hot!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
TTA Rider Matt
Earning My Ears

I have been here since Sunday 6/30 and crowds have not been anything close to what I expected. Longest I have waited for anything has been 35 minutes for Soarin' between FP use and getting to the parks relatively early/hitting MK favorites late at night (the other night we got Splash, Space, Buzz, Peter Pan all done in the last hour the park was open). I have been here 4 days and have ridden all my favorites twice with the exception of Toy Story Mania, as it was closed much of our last day at DHS. Last day in the parks for about 5 years tomorrow
1999 - Yacht Club, All Star Sports
2000 - Old Key West
2001 - Boardwalk
2002 - All Star Movies, Boardwalk
2003 - Boardwalk
2004 - Boardwalk
2005 - Caribbean Beach, Pop Century
2007 - Boardwalk
2010 - Boardwalk, Dolphin

2013 - Beach Club Villas
TTA Rider Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread