Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #46
DebD4T
I cannot sleep in an unmade bed. If for some reason my bed is not made, I have to make it before I get into it to go to sleep
My money must all face the same way in order of denomination
Lik
 
DebD4T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 888

DH and I recently purchased a large backyard shed from Costco. It came in 3 LARGE boxes. The boxes were so large that they would not fit in my minivan even with the stow-and-go seats down.

One of the employees were sent out to help us load the shed. He informed us that the only way we could fit the purchase in the van was to take all the pieces out of the boxes and load it that way.

The poor guy spent about 15-20 minutes, in the blazing sun, opening the boxes and loading my car.

When he finished, DH tried to tip him. The employee said they were not allowed to accept tips.
__________________
DebD4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #47
cfriend416
DIS Veteran
 
cfriend416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebD4T View Post

When he finished, DH tried to tip him. The employee said they were not allowed to accept tips.
In this case, I would call the employee's manager and express how helpful he was and how much you appreciated his service. I do this often. It may not be a tip, but it's certainly more thoughtful and personal than just throwing money at someone. Comments such as these come into play during annual performance reviews, raises, and references when changing jobs.
cfriend416 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #48
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwildernessishome View Post
Just curious, but when you say, "not relying on your customers to pay their salaries" do you mean all jobs, or just those in food service?

Just curious, what you thought about my question of tipping a tour guide and bus driver on a trip that you have spent a good amount of money to go on.
To me, any job that typically pays under standard wages and relies on tips to make up the difference, I have no problem tipping and tipping well. I also have no problem tipping somebody who has done me a personal favor, such as helping me set up a washing machine when I am only paying for curbed delivery service.

I am not sure if tour guides are paid a sub-standard wage. I do know that the tour guide has long been considered a tipped position, so I have no problem with it.

Any other job, that pays at least minimum wage, it is the responsibility of the employer to reward good employees, not the customer.

Putting tip jars out tells the customer that tips are expected. The establishment owner has now relieved him/herself of the responsibility of encouraging and rewarding employees for going above and beyond. They are maximizing their profits and now putting the responsibility of rewarding good employees on the customer by asking them to pay more for their product. It is greedy.

The good thing is that it is starting to backfire, as evidenced by this thread. Customers are becoming more and more annoyed at being coerced to pay more for a product. I know many of my friends who are so fed up that they will actively avoid retail establishments that put out tip jars.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #49
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebD4T View Post
DH and I recently purchased a large backyard shed from Costco. It came in 3 LARGE boxes. The boxes were so large that they would not fit in my minivan even with the stow-and-go seats down.

One of the employees were sent out to help us load the shed. He informed us that the only way we could fit the purchase in the van was to take all the pieces out of the boxes and load it that way.

The poor guy spent about 15-20 minutes, in the blazing sun, opening the boxes and loading my car.

When he finished, DH tried to tip him. The employee said they were not allowed to accept tips.
And that is why I LOVE Costco. Their employees are well compensated with excellent benefits. The CEO refuses to take a salary above an x% of the floor employees because he doesn't believe he is that he is that much greater than his employees.

And the customer gets outstanding service from Costco because the employees are happy because they are treated so well. There is not a huge turnover at Costco.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #50
MomofIndigo
Mouseketeer
 
MomofIndigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 242

I worked fast food/quick service for 15yrs. So anyone in that catergory (starbucks, ice cream shoppe, Whataburger, etc..) I will not tip. These people get paid full wages and it is part of the job.

Sonic is franchised and some can pay someone lower if they are in the "car hop" category. These people are on roller skates. They mainly work on tips and are young kids so I tip them. But not all Sonics are created equal. The one near me now does not have car hops and it has a drive thru so they move up to my category that I do not tip.

I think we are all in agreement of tipping waitstaff at full restaurants. If there is bad service, I still tip but then I am the person that calls the manager over and explain what I thought was bad service. If the employee and management do not know, then they cannot fix it. (coming from experience).

Other than that I tip the pizza delivery guy, or any catering/food delivery to the office I work. I tip my hairdresser because he is honest with me about what I want and what will actually happen (and he make my hair look great for at least a day )
__________________
Honeymoon-10/2006 * 1st Anniversary-10/2007 * As a Mom-12/2011 * Halloween trip 10/2012 * 5th Birthday Surprise trip 01/2014
MomofIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #51
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 4,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
Putting tip jars out tells the customer that tips are expected. The establishment owner has now relieved him/herself of the responsibility of encouraging and rewarding employees for going above and beyond. They are maximizing their profits and now putting the responsibility of rewarding good employees on the customer by asking them to pay more for their product. It is greedy.

The good thing is that it is starting to backfire, as evidenced by this thread. Customers are becoming more and more annoyed at being coerced to pay more for a product. I know many of my friends who are so fed up that they will actively avoid retail establishments that put out tip jars.
If I like the product a business sells I'm going to buy it.

It's a tip jar, it's not a gun and a mask.

I can ignore the tip jar.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #52
clarkshel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post

And that is why I LOVE Costco. Their employees are well compensated with excellent benefits. The CEO refuses to take a salary above an x% of the floor employees because he doesn't believe he is that he is that much greater than his employees.

And the customer gets outstanding service from Costco because the employees are happy because they are treated so well. There is not a huge turnover at Costco.
Costco does pay their employees a lot higher than Walmart. I think I read it is like 84% higher at Costco, plus they get benefits. Costco's latest CEO made $650,000 in 2012 an $200,000 in bonuses and $4 million in stock options. But this is still a lot less than other CEO's of their competitors. The founding CEO took a salary of only $325,000.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #53
debknight
On the road to nowhere...
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: chicago
Posts: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueInBoston View Post
Although I haven't been on a bunch of tours but the few that I've gone with outside the US all have similar tipping guidelines.

My retired aunt and her friends go to the casinos often on those one day bus trips and there is also a guideline to tip the bus driver and guide.

What is a "bus driver" being tipped for? Because he did not get into an accident?!
debknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #54
clarkshel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by debknight View Post

What is a "bus driver" being tipped for? Because he did not get into an accident?!
I only tip bus drivers if they handle my luggage. We tipped the Budget Port Canaveral shuttle driver. He was really great and helped us get all our luggage onto and off the bus. I gave him a good tip. But the Budget shuttle driver at the Oahu airport didn't do anything by drive. Didn't help anyone with luggage. I didn't tip him one penny.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #55
ironpig70
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv'sTink View Post
Tipping is out of control!

In WA State, the minimum wage is almost $10 and hour with a raise almost yearly. Waitstaff receive the $10 an hour no exceptions.

A few weeks back we were in BJ's Restaurant and they had a suggested tip amount on the bill. The problem I had with it is, they used the full amount including tax, unless they are paying the Dept of Revenue a tip, I feel that is wrong. (Our restaurant tax rate is almost 10%)

Here is what many people do not understand. The waitstaff is making minimum wage in many places.

Lets say for simple math they wait on 4 tables in 1 hour. Each table is $40 and each person leaves 10%. So that's $4 a table or $16 for all 4.

So $16 in tips and $10 in wages. Really $26 an hour for doing the bare minimum of your job. Most folks tip 15-20%.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #56
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,964

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandynd View Post
Maybe you didn't read closely. My kids are well-paid. The lowest paid is getting $9.60 an hour for their training period and will rise to $10.25 when they have proven themselves ready.

I put out a tip jar because my kids also try and go above and beyond to be entertaining and give good service, so if someone wants to tip them for that, good for them! And the only way I can see to be fair about it is to have them split tips at the end of their shift - otherwise the ones assigned only to backroom duties that day would not have a chance at any tips that shift. My kids appreciate the tips they get because they know they are for good service only, not because they're paid poorly.
I wouldn't allow that at my business.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #57
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one
 
declansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 19,037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
To me, any job that typically pays under standard wages and relies on tips to make up the difference, I have no problem tipping and tipping well. I also have no problem tipping somebody who has done me a personal favor, such as helping me set up a washing machine when I am only paying for curbed delivery service.

I am not sure if tour guides are paid a sub-standard wage. I do know that the tour guide has long been considered a tipped position, so I have no problem with it.

Any other job, that pays at least minimum wage, it is the responsibility of the employer to reward good employees, not the customer.

Putting tip jars out tells the customer that tips are expected. The establishment owner has now relieved him/herself of the responsibility of encouraging and rewarding employees for going above and beyond. They are maximizing their profits and now putting the responsibility of rewarding good employees on the customer by asking them to pay more for their product. It is greedy.

The good thing is that it is starting to backfire, as evidenced by this thread. Customers are becoming more and more annoyed at being coerced to pay more for a product. I know many of my friends who are so fed up that they will actively avoid retail establishments that put out tip jars.

To me any job that doesn't pay the regular minimum wage is putting the responsibility on the customer to pay the wages. Pay the minimum and let the customer if they want to tip for the reason tipping was created, a reward.
__________________
Darcy
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr




declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #58
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 11,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
Here is what many people do not understand. The waitstaff is making minimum wage in many places.

Lets say for simple math they wait on 4 tables in 1 hour. Each table is $40 and each person leaves 10%. So that's $4 a table or $16 for all 4.

So $16 in tips and $10 in wages. Really $26 an hour for doing the bare minimum of your job. Most folks tip 15-20%.

It may be that way where you live, but not here. They make a portion of minimum wage--a very small portion.

Waitstaff usually does depend on tips to bring there wages to at least minimum
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #59
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran
 
runsandjumps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post

Costco does pay their employees a lot higher than Walmart. I think I read it is like 84% higher at Costco, plus they get benefits. Costco's latest CEO made $650,000 in 2012 an $200,000 in bonuses and $4 million in stock options. But this is still a lot less than other CEO's of their competitors. The founding CEO took a salary of only $325,000.
I had a patient tell me she made $10 an hour working for Costco. However she had good benefits so she made it work.

Ana
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #60
hereyago
DIS Veteran
 
hereyago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,965

I don't donate to the tip jar. I have wanted to write a note that says"get some self respect,professionalism, and stop begging", but I have refrained.lol.
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.