Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #31
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandynd View Post
I own a takeout restaurant. We have a tip jar at the window. Sometimes the person you talk to will take your order and make your drinks while someone else in the back cooks your food and then calls your name to come get it. Other times, depending on the day, the person you talk to will be doing it all alone - taking your order, making your drink, cooking your food, packaging it and serving it out the window. My kids (they're all mine once they're hired!!) make more than minimum wage, and they split the tips between them that they get on their shift. They rarely get more than a couple of dollars on a 5 hour shift. If I am working by myself, I do not put out the tip jar, nor do I split tips with my kiddos - technically, I am getting the most benefit from their work, so I don't think it's fair to take part in the tips. At sit-down restaurants, I tip 20%, but that's about as far as I take tipping, except for hotel maids who have to clean up in personal areas like bathrooms. Other positions, I hope they're getting paid enough or they set their own prices(mailman, massage etc.) Guess I'm probably a cheapass but so far nobody has said anything to me!
All this sounds like a regular job description.

Why don't you pay "your kids" a decent wage for doing their job rather than having them beg for tips?

I hate when places that pay a regular wage put out tip jars. That is their job. They are not being paid a sub-wage that depends on tips.

Can't wait for the time I walk into my local bank and their are tip jars on the teller counter. Oh wait, banks are professional. That wouldn't happen.

The only time I will tip is if I go in with a huge order for a party. But for a regular order, ridiculous. And I worked at Arbys through my entire college career. We were forbidden to accept tips. And we were proud of it. We would have been mortified to accept tips for just doing our job.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #32
cfriend416
DIS Veteran
 
cfriend416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post

I've had dozens of parties out, so I know that the hostess is tipped.

I also know that tour guides are also tipped, and although I never knew tattoo artists were tipped (since I never had a tattoo), it does make sense. I've have my hair highlighted and cut, and have spent $250 or so, and I tipped 18%. A tattoo would take the same amount of time (with no down time for the tattoo artist), and be even more of a personal service (since it lasts a lifetime). As for the cost, one wouldn't spend a few hundred dollars on a meal at a restaurant, and not tip, because of the cost.
The haircut comparison is fair I suppose (though the artist did take a break halfway through), and I admit that had I known people typically tip tattoo artists we would have at least given him something, though definitely not 20%. Especially because I am pretty sure the two artists who work there co-own it. However, the expensive meal comparison makes less sense. Waitresses make a reduced hourly wage because tips are expected and I would never dream of not tipping a waitress well simply because I already spent a lot on the meal. But I would also never spend a few hundred dollars on a meal.
cfriend416 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #33
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!
 
Minerva Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
If I offend you well my apologizes.

I am so baffled at all the who to tip and what to tip that my head may explode.

So I tip you if you work for the company doing the job but I don't tip if you own the company.

I don't tip repairmen but tip movers.

I tip waitstaff but not the kid who brings out my food at fast food.

I tip the barber at the chain hair cut place but not the one who owns the shop

I don't tip the mail man or garbage man

Enough already how about this we let businesses pay there employees and let the employees decide if that's enough for them to work. Even better is its a state to state thing on how people are paid.


Rant over/
Oh, my gosh OP, I almost posted the exact same thing last night. Actually I did around 11:30 pm then deleted it. I couldn't agree more. I feel it's gotten completely out of hand, I mean where do we draw the line? It’s called your job, do it, and collect your hourly/salary wage.

I understand tipping wait staff because they don’t make minimum wage, but anyone and everyone beyond that who makes an hourly wage, shouldn’t expect anything from anyone. If you get a “tip” congratulations for a job well done!

Thank you and have a nice day!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran
 
fortwildernessishome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva Mouse View Post
Oh, my gosh OP, I almost posted the exact same thing last night. Actually I did around 11:30 pm then deleted it. I couldn't agree more. I feel it's gotten completely out of hand, I mean where do we draw the line? It’s called your job, do it, and collect your hourly/salary wage.

I understand tipping wait staff because they don’t make minimum wage, but anyone and everyone beyond that who makes an hourly wage, shouldn’t expect anything from anyone. If you get a “tip” congratulations for a job well done!

Thank you and have a nice day!
This is what I think too!! I get that wait staff don't make a minimum wage and rely on tips. But for the people that get paid a fair hourly wage, I don't think tips should be expected. Of course, I say this and I tip everybody; maids, hairdresser, driver to the airport etc.

I guess, what I don't like is to see it written down, like in my Moms case. But, hey, that's just me!!!
__________________
New Hampshire
fortwildernessishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #35
sandynd
Rookie Desperado
 
sandynd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
Why don't you pay "your kids" a decent wage for doing their job rather than having them beg for tips?

I hate when places that pay a regular wage put out tip jars. That is their job. They are not being paid a sub-wage that depends on tips.
Maybe you didn't read closely. My kids are well-paid. The lowest paid is getting $9.60 an hour for their training period and will rise to $10.25 when they have proven themselves ready.

I put out a tip jar because my kids also try and go above and beyond to be entertaining and give good service, so if someone wants to tip them for that, good for them! And the only way I can see to be fair about it is to have them split tips at the end of their shift - otherwise the ones assigned only to backroom duties that day would not have a chance at any tips that shift. My kids appreciate the tips they get because they know they are for good service only, not because they're paid poorly.
__________________
October 2013 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, OOP dining, extended due to car troubles - read my trip report!
January 2011 - POP, free QSDP - Daddy couldn't make it
May 2009 - CBR, DxDP, room! - DD's 7th birthday
December 1990 - One day in MGM Studios
sandynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
Disney st8 of mind
Mouseketeer
 
Disney st8 of mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mid michigan
Posts: 257

I don't disagree with tipping wait staff by any means, but reading all these posts has me thinking .... why is there a percentage rate attached to it? Does the waitress work harder or do more for me if I order the $30 steak as opposed to the $8.99 chicken special? No, so why does her tip now triple?

I'm also surprised by the number of people that are adamant about tipping valet (when all they do is walk a bit and drive) yet they won't tip housekeeping that scrubs your toilet and deals with your used soggy towels. Does anyone happen to know what base salary is for Disney valet and bellhops?
__________________
Disney st8 of mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #37
momz
DIS Veteran
 
momz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney st8 of mind View Post
I don't disagree with tipping wait staff by any means, but reading all these posts has me thinking .... why is there a percentage rate attached to it? Does the waitress work harder or do more for me if I order the $30 steak as opposed to the $8.99 chicken special? No, so why does her tip now triple?

I'm also surprised by the number of people that are adamant about tipping valet (when all they do is walk a bit and drive) yet they won't tip housekeeping that scrubs your toilet and deals with your used soggy towels. Does anyone happen to know what base salary is for Disney valet and bellhops?
In response to your first paragraph. The wait staff is tipped a percentage and as a result, this is incentive for them to up-sell. That is why they tend to promote things like appetizers, drinks, deserts, etc. They want you to spend more, therefore, they will be rewarded for their selling by getting a larger tip.
momz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #38
cfriend416
DIS Veteran
 
cfriend416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney st8 of mind View Post
I don't disagree with tipping wait staff by any means, but reading all these posts has me thinking .... why is there a percentage rate attached to it? Does the waitress work harder or do more for me if I order the $30 steak as opposed to the $8.99 chicken special? No, so why does her tip now triple?
Great point! Why is it that our tipping culture is based on a percentage and not, let's say, a certain amount per course and per person. So, for example, a waitress(er) serving a table of 4 who all ordered apps, entrees, and desserts would get a larger tip than someone serving a table of 4 who only got entrees. Likewise, someone serving a table of 8 would get a larger top than a table of 4. Makes sense to me!
cfriend416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #39
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandynd View Post
Maybe you didn't read closely. My kids are well-paid. The lowest paid is getting $9.60 an hour for their training period and will rise to $10.25 when they have proven themselves ready.

I put out a tip jar because my kids also try and go above and beyond to be entertaining and give good service, so if someone wants to tip them for that, good for them! And the only way I can see to be fair about it is to have them split tips at the end of their shift - otherwise the ones assigned only to backroom duties that day would not have a chance at any tips that shift. My kids appreciate the tips they get because they know they are for good service only, not because they're paid poorly.
As an employer, you should be rewarding your employees that go above and beyond with a bonus. Not relying on your customers to pay their salaries.

Tip jars for standard, or in your case, above standard wages, is an insult to your customer. And greedy on your part that you keep your maximum profits and put the onus on your customers to fork out more for your product when you have excellent staff who should be rewarded.

That is how I feel about tip jars. It is the establishment owners who are becoming inordinately greedy. They have found a way to maximize their profits by not rewarding their employees. They are putting the responsibility for rewarding their employees for excellent work on the customer. If an employee is going above and beyond, their profit needs to be minimized a bit to reward that employee. The customer should not be expected to pay more for their product.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 07-03-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #40
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,823

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I've had dozens of parties out, so I know that the hostess is tipped.

I also know that tour guides are also tipped, and although I never knew tattoo artists were tipped (since I never had a tattoo), it does make sense. I've have my hair highlighted and cut, and have spent $250 or so, and I tipped 18%. A tattoo would take the same amount of time (with no down time for the tattoo artist), and be even more of a personal service (since it lasts a lifetime). As for the cost, one wouldn't spend a few hundred dollars on a meal at a restaurant, and not tip, because of the cost.
I have had dozens of parties out too. Only one other place had an actual host, so most places don't even have anyone to tip.

Actually, if a party of 10 (going by the number of kids in the party) went out to eat most places WOULD in fact, add an 18% tip to the bill.

I don't have an issue with tipping and I didn't mean that it cost too much to tip, I meant the business could make sure the girl is properly paid for her services.

She probably gets overlooked a lot. I happened to notice the little jar because my camera was sitting by it.

This place (like many others) charged $210 for 10 kids. If those same 10 kids had just came together to jump it would have been $80. They included 2-2 liter drinks ($2) and 10 little cups of ice cream (you can buy in bag of 12 for $3 so we will add $3). If 18% of the total cost went to the hostess the place would still make twice as much as they would have if 10 kids had just showed up to jump. And the girl was not just there for the party, she worked at the door too.
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #41
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 2,124

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread. This has been on my mind for years. It started with me at a donut shop. How much work does it take to turn around and put 2 donuts in a bag?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)



EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #42
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst
 
powellrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 16,375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney st8 of mind View Post

I'm also surprised by the number of people that are adamant about tipping valet (when all they do is walk a bit and drive) yet they won't tip housekeeping that scrubs your toilet and deals with your used soggy towels. Does anyone happen to know what base salary is for Disney valet and bellhops?
OK I'll bite, your maid is paid at least minimum wage because its not considered a tipped position. A valet is paid $2xx a hour some places and its an expected tip position. I was talking to a friend whose DS works as a valet at our casino and she said they are paid $5 an hour and then they have to tip-out their managers a percentage of their tips. I always tried to tip the valet well because I don't pay to valet park with my handicap tag, I am glad to know I did now that I know they have to share their tips!
__________________



powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #43
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!
 
mamacatnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Texas Y'all by way of N. Nevada
Posts: 9,799

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandynd View Post
I own a takeout restaurant. We have a tip jar at the window. Sometimes the person you talk to will take your order and make your drinks while someone else in the back cooks your food and then calls your name to come get it. Other times, depending on the day, the person you talk to will be doing it all alone - taking your order, making your drink, cooking your food, packaging it and serving it out the window. My kids (they're all mine once they're hired!!) make more than minimum wage, and they split the tips between them that they get on their shift. They rarely get more than a couple of dollars on a 5 hour shift. If I am working by myself, I do not put out the tip jar, nor do I split tips with my kiddos - technically, I am getting the most benefit from their work, so I don't think it's fair to take part in the tips. At sit-down restaurants, I tip 20%, but that's about as far as I take tipping, except for hotel maids who have to clean up in personal areas like bathrooms. Other positions, I hope they're getting paid enough or they set their own prices(mailman, massage etc.) Guess I'm probably a cheapass but so far nobody has said anything to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
All this sounds like a regular job description.

Why don't you pay "your kids" a decent wage for doing their job rather than having them beg for tips?

I hate when places that pay a regular wage put out tip jars. That is their job. They are not being paid a sub-wage that depends on tips.

Can't wait for the time I walk into my local bank and their are tip jars on the teller counter. Oh wait, banks are professional. That wouldn't happen.

The only time I will tip is if I go in with a huge order for a party. But for a regular order, ridiculous. And I worked at Arbys through my entire college career. We were forbidden to accept tips. And we were proud of it. We would have been mortified to accept tips for just doing our job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandynd View Post
Maybe you didn't read closely. My kids are well-paid. The lowest paid is getting $9.60 an hour for their training period and will rise to $10.25 when they have proven themselves ready.

I put out a tip jar because my kids also try and go above and beyond to be entertaining and give good service, so if someone wants to tip them for that, good for them! And the only way I can see to be fair about it is to have them split tips at the end of their shift - otherwise the ones assigned only to backroom duties that day would not have a chance at any tips that shift. My kids appreciate the tips they get because they know they are for good service only, not because they're paid poorly.
Honestly, I have no idea why you would put a tip jar out. I, as a patron used to feel obligated to drop my spare change etc. into that jar. I don't anymore, I now go out of my way to avoid places that have a tip jar that is unjustified. A take out restaurant with a tip jar is unjustified IMO. You pay your kids well, that is great, I assume you charge a decent price for your product so that you can afford to pay the kids well. I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm trying to understand, how it is you justify a tip jar for your employees who are doing what you pay them (well) to do?

I hand out the payroll every week, maybe I should put a tip jar around my neck.

OP, I'm with you, the tipping issue is getting out of hand.

I tip my hairdresser, wait staff when at a sit-down type restaurant with an assigned waitress/waiter who takes my order, brings my meal and tends to me throughout the meal. I also tip for hotel services (valet, bell man) and skycaps at the airport.
__________________
MamaCatNV
DH56 Me48DS 25 DD16
Baxter, Simon & Wilson the Gryffindor The Great Pyreneese
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #44
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran
 
fortwildernessishome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
As an employer, you should be rewarding your employees that go above and beyond with a bonus. Not relying on your customers to pay their salaries.

Tip jars for standard, or in your case, above standard wages, is an insult to your customer. And greedy on your part that you keep your maximum profits and put the onus on your customers to fork out more for your product when you have excellent staff who should be rewarded.

That is how I feel about tip jars. It is the establishment owners who are becoming inordinately greedy. They have found a way to maximize their profits by not rewarding their employees. They are putting the responsibility for rewarding their employees for excellent work on the customer. If an employee is going above and beyond, their profit needs to be minimized a bit to reward that employee. The customer should not be expected to pay more for their product.
Just curious, but when you say, "not relying on your customers to pay their salaries" do you mean all jobs, or just those in food service?

Just curious, what you thought about my question of tipping a tour guide and bus driver on a trip that you have spent a good amount of money to go on.
__________________
New Hampshire
fortwildernessishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #45
Disney st8 of mind
Mouseketeer
 
Disney st8 of mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mid michigan
Posts: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
OK I'll bite, your maid is paid at least minimum wage because its not considered a tipped position. A valet is paid $2xx a hour some places and its an expected tip position. I was talking to a friend whose DS works as a valet at our casino and she said they are paid $5 an hour and then they have to tip-out their managers a percentage of their tips. I always tried to tip the valet well because I don't pay to valet park with my handicap tag, I am glad to know I did now that I know they have to share their tips!
That's why I asked how much a valet typically makes. I would never just assume that they are considered a tipped position and make less than minimum wage based on the fact that places CHARGE for valet services. Why aren't these charges used to pay the staff that directly provides the service?
__________________
Disney st8 of mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.