Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #76
excited4disney2012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
I wonder how many Cast Members go home and tell their partners, "I smiled at this guest and she didn't smile back so that ruined my day".
This made me laugh!
excited4disney2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #77
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post

To the pp who mentioned that this problem is miniscule, I agree. So, it should not take too much effort on the employees part to do it.
Agreed. But it also shouldn't be a huge deal if 2 CMs a day out of the many you encounter don't verbally acknowledge you.
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #78
gogo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Agreed. But it also shouldn't be a huge deal if 2 CMs a day out of the many you encounter don't verbally acknowledge you.

Shouldn't the "Happiest Place on Earth" have Happy CM's? LoL Apparently OP and millions of others buy into this notion and when it is less than expected I think its natural to be disappointed.

Believe me I get that in everyday life there are stressors and especially in the workplace. But, when your job is dealing with thousands of guests a day at the "Happiest Place on Earth", I think it is important for CMs to acknowledge guests. It is such a small gesture that would make a guest feel welcome that I can't believe a bad day would prevent them from doing it.

I'm more apt to belive that they just are not that friendly or outgoing in the first place. I'm not saying every single CM you come in contact with but if the OP was referring to crossing paths with a CM in a hallway and eye contact is made, then yes the CM should acknowledge that person.

I haven't read the original post for a while, but I don't remember this issue ruining the OP's vacation. This is a person's personal experience and I'm always interested in reading the good, bad and the ugly.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #79
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post

I'm more apt to belive that they just are not that friendly or outgoing in the first place. I'm not saying every single CM you come in contact with but if the OP was referring to crossing paths with a CM in a hallway and eye contact is made, then yes the CM should acknowledge that person.

I haven't read the original post for a while, but I don't remember this issue ruining the OP's vacation. This is a person's personal experience and I'm always interested in reading the good, bad and the ugly.
I bet Disney is smart enough not to hire a bunch of Gloomy
Guses. However people can have a bad day, and out of the bunch of CMs we run into on a daily basis it isn't that hard to believe that 2 are having bad days. And while most people can usually hide it, some days they don't.

And if you (in general) let that upset you to the point that you consider them lazy and then decide to count how many people ignore you, then I'm not surprised it has a negative impact on your vacation. Deciding to count is deciding to focus on the bad instead of the good. So while the CMs were not doing the best job, deciding to focus on that fact, instead of trying to enjoy the vacation, is what made the OP feel like a ghost. I don't know how anyone could have a great vacation if they run counting the times they feel ignored.

Make a conscience decision to find the bad in your vacation, and you will. That is not a surprise.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #80
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

I bet Disney is smart enough not to hire a bunch of Gloomy
Guses. However people can have a bad day, and out of the bunch of CMs we run into on a daily basis it isn't that hard to believe that 2 are having bad days. And while most people can usually hide it, some days they don't.

And if you (in general) let that upset you to the point that you consider them lazy and then decide to count how many people ignore you, then I'm not surprised it has a negative impact on your vacation. Deciding to count is deciding to focus on the bad instead of the good. So while the CMs were not doing the best job, deciding to focus on that fact, instead of trying to enjoy the vacation, is what made the OP feel like a ghost. I don't know how anyone could have a great vacation if they run counting the times they feel ignored.

Make a conscience decision to find the bad in your vacation, and you will. That is not a surprise.
I have the same response to the post above yours.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #81
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara

I have the same response to the post above yours.
When I hear people so-and-so made me feel.....I always say you make yourself feel that way because you allow it to get to you.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #82
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbDave View Post
It has been mentioned before that Traditions training has been scaled back
We spent the weekend at the Renaissance Vinoy while attending two Ray's games. The employees were beyond kind and warm. At one time, Disney was that way.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #83
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1 View Post
We spent the weekend at the Renaissance Vinoy while attending two Ray's games. The employees were beyond kind and warm. At one time, Disney was that way.

Still is.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #84
Sammie
DIS Veteran

They have 65,000+ employees, most will be Happy, but a few will be Sleepy, Bashful, at certain times of the year Sneezy and maybe a little Dopey and possibly even Grumpy.

They are human, it happens.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #85
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
They have 65,000+ employees, most will be Happy, but a few will be Sleepy, Bashful, at certain times of the year Sneezy and maybe a little Dopey and possibly even Grumpy.

I like what you said right there. I like it a lot.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #86
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie

OMG, I just spit wine out of my nose. That is great....

Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #87
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1

Yes, let us compare one hotel to an entire complex of multiple resorts, parks, services, etc.

Disney did not change, the world did. For some reason, people think the entire world has to fall all over them. Sadly, it is the norm.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #88
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

It takes two to acknowledge each other to smile and say hello.

It even makes you feel better if you are the first to say Hi!

Wilderness Lodge Club Level - 2010, 2013
We'll be home soon...
CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #89
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

I always smile and say "Hello" to any CM or other guest I see in a hallway. But that's just me, it's a habit. Now I'm curious to do an experiment and try to walk down the hall with a straight face and see what happens! I don't think I can do it!!!

Grand Floridian 2012, 2003, 2001, 1994 * Polynesian 2013, 2011, 2008, 2008, 2005, 2003 * Contemporary 2014, 2008 * Bay Lake Tower 2013 * Boardwalk Inn 2013, 2006, 1998 * Boardwalk Villas 2014, 2006, 2004 * Wilderness Cabin 1998 * Dixie Landings 1999 * All Star Music 2001 * Caribbean Beach Resort 2012, 2002 * Animal Kingdom Villas 2012, 2011, 2008 * Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006, 2005 * Old Key West 2009, 2008, 2004, 2003, 2002 * Yacht Club 2013, 2012, 2010, 2002 * Beach Club 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008 * Beach Club Villas 2014, 2003 * Swan 2006, 2005, 2003 * Pop Century 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 * Wilderness Lodge 2004 * Port Orleans French Quarter 2014, 2013, 2004 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge 2011, 2004 * Saratoga Springs 2007
Up next, LIVE from the BWV - June 2014
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #90
gogo
DIS Veteran

hope this is my last post on this but where did the original post indicate that she wanted CM's to fall over her. She simply stated that when two of them were crossing paths and SHE DID SMILE FIRST, she was ignored.

I've read responses that she should have acknowledged them first, SHE DID SMILE FIRST,

I've read that people want CM's to fall all over them, where was it that the OP posted this?

And, I've read that her vacation was ruined. She actually stated that the 15 or so CM's who ignored were the only real negative in an otherwise SMOOTH trip.

I think as a post goes along for pages, the original message is definitely lost, exaggerated and others start posting things that were never indicated by the OP. Not just in this thread, but this happens alot.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: