Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #46
Janny
Earning My Ears

Smile

I wish there was more "slack" given to the original poster on these boards.
It was an observation being thought out through writing to get some feedback and closure at the same time. The continued coarseness of sociey has given people the right to respond in such a snarky way if that person didn't experience that same treatment. Chill out. Everyone has an opinion, and if that OPINION is expressed, it shouldn't be belittled. I'll give an example of snarky....."Anyone who has been going to Disney for more than the past seven years would have to have their head in the clouds if they did not see a decline in the overall treatment of guests by CM's." See? My reference to "head in the clouds" was not necessary....the other part was just MY observation and I did not need to add that insult to make my point.
Our last trip was filled with many examples of CM mediocrity which we had never experienced prior to this trip.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #47
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny View Post
It was an observation being thought out through writing to get some feedback and closure at the same time.
The thing is, the OP did not just make an observation. They asked a question, which shows in the title of the thread. If you ask people if they agree or disagree with you, then you are going to have people from both sides of the discussion post.

In my opinion, not saying hello to someone who didn't say hello first is not being lazy. And to spend part of your vacation counting the times that people didn't greet you sounds like a waste of precious vacation time. If you go around seeking flaws, you are bound to find them.
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #48
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny View Post
It was an observation being thought out through writing to get some feedback and closure at the same time. The continued coarseness of sociey has given people the right to respond in such a snarky way if that person didn't experience that same treatment. Chill out. Everyone has an opinion, and if that OPINION is expressed, it shouldn't be belittled. I'll give an example of snarky....."Anyone who has been going to Disney for more than the past seven years would have to have their head in the clouds if they did not see a decline in the overall treatment of guests by CM's." See? My reference to "head in the clouds" was not necessary....the other part was just MY observation and I did not need to add that insult to make my point.
Our last trip was filled with many examples of CM mediocrity which we had never experienced prior to this trip.

I have been to WDW in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2013. I haven't noticed CM mediocrity at all. Maybe it's because I'm not looking for it and constantly evaluating the CMs. With the number of people working there, I'm sure you could find some that are not as good but why let that be the focus of your vacation?

As to the OP, she asked a question and people have been answering it.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #49
gogo
DIS Veteran

A few more comments regarding this thread:

When someone posts a question or relates their experience, it's fine to disagree with them. Example: OP noticed less than friendly CM's, the posters that had the opposite experience posted their opposite experience indicating that they encountered only friendly cm's. But, the rudeness is saying this is the strangest comment I've ever read on the dis. Or, if you want to spend your vacation time counting how many cm's don't say Hi is a waste of time, etc.

And, what does rude guests treating the cm's poorly have to do with the OP? Just because there are rude, ignorant people who travel to Disney doesn't have anything to do with the OP. Example: If I go to a restaurant and my server had a bad day dealing with rude people, I certainly should not be treated poorly or ignored by the server. Time to find another job if you treat everyone poorly because the rude guests get to you.

I reiterate, my personal experience with cm's has been fine or I'm sure I wouldn't keep returning but someone else certainly can have a different experience.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #50
Tiggr924
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!

We definitely didn't have this issue at all on our recent trip (just got back a few days ago), though honestly I doubt it would have been something we would pay close attention to. The only slight mishap we had was a housekeeping woman sighing and rolling her eyes when we asked for 15 minutes in order to get out of the room. While we were initially surprised by this, we chalked it up to it being the end of the day (4:30ish) and her being tired. When she came back, she was super nice. We didn't let it disrupt our day in the least.

1986 ~ Hotel Plaza 1988,1991,1993 off-site 1995,1997 ~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort 2008, 2009, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside
Tiggr924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #51
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
It seems a bit unusual but while I find it curious I wouldn't have let it bother me. CMs acknowledging me doesn't make or break my vacations.
CM acknowledgement DOES make or break my vacation! If I receive poor acknowledgement from a CM at any hotel, it upsets me greatly. I feel "unwelcome" and not valued as a customer. I rate a hotel based on the respect of ALL staff.....whether I am at a Comfort Inn or a Disney Resort. 90% of our hotel stays are upscale, with high end rooms, always club level if available/offered. We do stay at Hampton Inns, Comfort Inns when that is really all that is available in the area, and the customer service matters to us. I will overlook many issues, IF I am acknowledged by staff with a simple "hello, good morning or smile" when passed in the hall, or entering/leaving the lobby. I think THAT says a lot about the overall happiness/morale of the organization. So I completely agree with the OP.

too many WDW trips to mention, 2007 Wonder Concierge, January 2013 Wonder Concierge, WDW AKL Concierge Nov 2013, March 2014 Walter E. Disney Suite (finally!!!!)
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #52
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If you look at the OP's trip, it comes out to just over 2 CMs a day didn't great them in the manner they would like. Two a day out of how many they must encounter on any given day? Twenty? Forty? That is a pretty low number not greeting the OP in the manner they expect. And while they may find it complaint worthy and taking note of, many of us don't.

Any time you fixate on the negative, then you will find it, and it will take over your vacation. Kind of sad that the OP had so many good CMs during their trip, and yet chose instead to focus on those they felt slighted them somehow by not saying Hi.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #53
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom
If you look at the OP's trip, it comes out to just over 2 CMs a day didn't great them in the manner they would like. Two a day out of how many they must encounter on any given day? Twenty? Forty? That is a pretty low number not greeting the OP in the manner they expect. And while they may find it complaint worthy and taking note of, many of us don't.

Any time you fixate on the negative, then you will find it, and it will take over your vacation. Kind of sad that the OP had so many good CMs during their trip, and yet chose instead to focus on those they felt slighted them somehow by not saying Hi.
I was hoping the thread would finally go away, but I felt compelled to post after your response. I have a friend who will have a fantastic trip, but it will be all about the negative.

We have concluded it is her way of getting attention; she does not know any other way of getting it.....sadly.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #54
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
I kind of read between the lines and I didn't take it that the OP was disheartened by CM's not saying Hi. It sounded like it was being ignored or acknowledged when there were just the two of them in a hallway, etc. When something repeatedly occurs, I think a person does take notice.

I don't think the post was strange at all. It was something the OP experienced and wanted to comment on it. Let's not make people afraid to post comments or experiences.
Sorry to disagree with you, but I agree with the other PPs, who seem to think the OP's post was a a bit off the charts. As others mentioned, I also wondered why the OP never seemed to acknowledge any of the CMs first. Just how I see it.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #55
gogo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818 View Post
Sorry to disagree with you, but I agree with the other PPs, who seem to think the OP's post was a a bit off the charts. As others mentioned, I also wondered why the OP never seemed to acknowledge any of the CMs first. Just how I see it.

Actually, I think the OP did say she smiled at all of them when there was an encounter. What's wrong with expecting hotel employees to acknowledge their guests? I don't think that is being demanding or unrealistic.
As previously stated by another poster, the way hotel employees treat their guests has a lot to do with return visitors. If others don't care about a smile or acknowledgement that's fine too.

I can respect others opinions without saying they are strange or off the charts just because it does not reflect how I may personally feel. And, you don't have to be sorry because you disagree with my post. That's ok
Old 07-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #56
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Quote:
A few more comments regarding this thread:

And, what does rude guests treating the cm's poorly have to do with the OP? Just because there are rude, ignorant people who travel to Disney doesn't have anything to do with the OP. Example: If I go to a restaurant and my server had a bad day dealing with rude people, I certainly should not be treated poorly or ignored by the server. Time to find another job if you treat everyone poorly because the rude guests get to you.
I stated my observations of rude guests because we are all human, and whether you feel it shouldn't weigh on the castmembers, my opinion is that it does. Yes, if you go out to dine and your server was treated poorly before you they should still treat you kindly and do their job, I agree. Perhaps I should have been more black and white in stating that perhaps the few castmembers that didn't acknowledge the OP were having bad days themselves because others had been unkind to them.

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #57
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And, you don't have to be sorry because you disagree with my post. That's ok
Sorry you don't think I needed to say "sorry that I disagreed with you" I just trying to be polite.

But I still think the original post was a bit off the charts. But I guess we agree to disagree.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #58
gogo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
I stated my observations of rude guests because we are all human, and whether you feel it shouldn't weigh on the castmembers, my opinion is that it does. Yes, if you go out to dine and your server was treated poorly before you they should still treat you kindly and do their job, I agree. Perhaps I should have been more black and white in stating that perhaps the few castmembers that didn't acknowledge the OP were having bad days themselves because others had been unkind to them.
Again, if the cm's that the OP came in contact with were still peeved about a previous rude guest, they should probably look for employment that doesn't come in contact with so many people in a day. But, thanks for clarifying.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #59
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
It seems a bit unusual but while I find it curious I wouldn't have let it bother me. CMs acknowledging me doesn't make or break my vacations.

I'm sure they are told to always smile & speak but honestly come on they are surrounded by thousands of guests a day I think they should be given some slack.. They are human first disney employee second..

Now if a CM is just out & out rude to you like ignoring you when he sees you asking or waiting for help or not very pleasant when you are helped is a completely different story.

I once read a TR where someone complained that they stayed CL and the CMs there didn't call them by name each time they entered the lounge??? I know WDW is expensive & Disney customer service & hospitality is world renown but come on aren't we expecting a bit much for our money?

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013
Couldn't agree more!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #60
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
We are here now...been here for 10 days and leaving tomorrow. We stayed one night at POR and the remainder at BC, club level. I have noticed most all of the castmembers we have encountered-at the resorts, parks, or restaurants-to be friendly and helpful.
I have also noticed a ridiculous amount of unsupervised, loud, badly behaved children everywhere. I have noticed guests YELLING at lifeguards at the pool. I have noticed a woman belittling a club castmember for not having sugar-free cookies at her disposal at 10:00pm. In short, I have noticed an abundance of rude, snarky guests with an extreme sense of entitlement and no sense of ownership for their own vacation enjoyment.
These castmembers come from all over the world, and deal with people from all over the world. I think they do their best to help each guest have a magical vacation.
So sorry your experience wasn't what you had hoped for. Maybe your next trip will be better
Sounds about right (unfortunately) to me. In fact, I just read your post to my husband. He said, 'I like that person!"

2011: WDW, Wilderness Lodge | 2012: WDW, Caribbean Beach/Boardwalk Inn CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge | 2013: WDW, Polynesian CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge CL | 2013: DLR, Candy Cane Inn

Up next: CCI/GCH, August 2014

mirage0306 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: