Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
maiyasmom
Mouseketeer
 
maiyasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englishtown, NJ
Posts: 121

Need Reviews on Best Friends Kennel

Planning to board our 5 year old Shih Tzu in November at the kennel on Disney property. I'm super nervousness because he's never been boarded before. My mom has always cared for him while we traveled but can no longer do so. So, I'm in need of any info/reviews from anyone who has boarded their dog with Best Friends recently. I reserved an indoor/outdoor suite. Thanks!
__________________
Maiyasmom
maiyasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
disnut8
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brasleton, GA
Posts: 15,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiyasmom View Post
Planning to board our 5 year old Shih Tzu in November at the kennel on Disney property. I'm super nervousness because he's never been boarded before. My mom has always cared for him while we traveled but can no longer do so. So, I'm in need of any info/reviews from anyone who has boarded their dog with Best Friends recently. I reserved an indoor/outdoor suite. Thanks!
Well, I don't have personal experience since I have four cats but my dad and stepmother regularly board my fur-sister, Kaycee, at Best Friends. And I can tell you Kaycee is a rescued neglected dog who has severe anxiety issues and does NOT like to be aware from her parents. But she's absolutely fine at Best Friends. My stepmother has shown me the photos the place will send her during the day. And Kaycee gets ice cream every day (for a small price).

I don't think you will be disappointed. My dad is 83 years old, has Parkinson's and Kaycee is the reason he's still around. And he lets her go to Best Friends without complaint.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
maiyasmom
Mouseketeer
 
maiyasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englishtown, NJ
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post

Well, I don't have personal experience since I have four cats but my dad and stepmother regularly board my fur-sister, Kaycee, at Best Friends. And I can tell you Kaycee is a rescued neglected dog who has severe anxiety issues and does NOT like to be aware from her parents. But she's absolutely fine at Best Friends. My stepmother has shown me the photos the place will send her during the day. And Kaycee gets ice cream every day (for a small price).

I don't think you will be disappointed. My dad is 83 years old, has Parkinson's and Kaycee is the reason he's still around. And he lets her go to Best Friends without complaint.
That's awesome! Thank you!! I appreciate the feedback.
__________________
Maiyasmom
maiyasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
nkereina
Wendy Darling
 
nkereina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 6,783

I have not used it myself but have read good reviews. Where are you staying? It is directly across the street from POR, in walking distance, which a lot of people like so they don't feel too far away from their pet.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
maiyasmom
Mouseketeer
 
maiyasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englishtown, NJ
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I have not used it myself but have read good reviews. Where are you staying? It is directly across the street from POR, in walking distance, which a lot of people like so they don't feel too far away from their pet.
We're DVC member and are staying at Saratoga Springs. I'm just hoping the suite I reserved is large enough and not cage like and that he will be ok. I'm very nervous but have no choice.
__________________
Maiyasmom
maiyasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Napria
It really *is* the Happiest Place!
 
Napria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Milton, GA (north of Atlanta)
Posts: 494

We usually camp at Fort Wilderness so we can have our (unusually timid) corgi with us. I paid for extra play time and extra doggie ice cream. She had never been boarded before. My anxiety level was pretty high. Guess what... When I came to pick her up at the end of her stay, she almost seemed like she was saying, "aw mom, can't you let me stay a little longer?". I think the people who work there really love what they do. Now I'm sorry I paid for extra play time. I get the feeling they played even more with her than I paid for!

Yep, I recommend them and would definitely use them again if we needed to.
__________________

Polynesian July 2013 Ft. Wilderness May 2012 Off property March 2012 Ft. Wilderness June 2011 Ft. Wilderness June 2009 Ocala Camping April 2008 Ft. Wilderness January 2007 Tropical Palms RV Resort December 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Beach Club Villas December 2003 Wilderness Lodge Villas December 2002 Boardwalk Villas December 2001 Ft. Wilderness February 1981
Napria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
DisneyDreamer1974
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 220

But they charge for "cuddle time". Really? How can you charge for love?
DisneyDreamer1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
maiyasmom
Mouseketeer
 
maiyasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englishtown, NJ
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napria View Post
We usually camp at Fort Wilderness so we can have our (unusually timid) corgi with us. I paid for extra play time and extra doggie ice cream. She had never been boarded before. My anxiety level was pretty high. Guess what... When I came to pick her up at the end of her stay, she almost seemed like she was saying, "aw mom, can't you let me stay a little longer?". I think the people who work there really love what they do. Now I'm sorry I paid for extra play time. I get the feeling they played even more with her than I paid for!

Yep, I recommend them and would definitely use them again if we needed to.
This makes me feel much better. Thank you!! I'm searching for photos of the indoor/outdoor suite and can't find any.
__________________
Maiyasmom
maiyasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
kimysbug
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 774

Go to a kennel by you, and do "day care"

Drop off in am, pick up in pm to get your dog use to it, and they will know you are coming back for them. Then they won't be so stressed at WDW
__________________
1995- Disneymoon Grand Floridian-July
1997- Hilton Down Town Disney- April
1998- Caribbean Beach-May
1999/2000-Board walk/Disney Wonder New Years Cruise Dec/Jan
2000- All Star Sports- September
2001- Port Orleans French Quarter- June
2003-Polynessian - October -MNSSHP
2005-Disney Vow Renewal Grand Floridian -July
2005- Pop Century- December MVMCP
2006- Wilderness Lodge-December- MVMCP
2007-Polynessian- 9/27-10/1- MNSSHP 9/28 W/ Momma Bear
2009 -Coranodo Spring-Surprise trip-Graduation trip-May
2011-Wilderness Lodge-December-MVMCP
kimysbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
wdwtink
Earning My Ears
 
wdwtink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 55

best friends

We take our baby there all the time. She is a 4 year old, 4 pound Pomeranian. Best Friends at Disney is the only place we have ever left her and only place I want to leave her. I am always nervous when I drop her off but they do a wonderful job taking care of her. She usually stays in a vip suite or villa if the vip suites are booked. I love watching her on the vip suite web cam! We have two trips reserved for her in 2014. Let me know if you have any questions
wdwtink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,083

I haven't tried the kennel, but did consider it at one time. If you book a villa or suite it's apparently very nice, but pricey 54-71 a night. They are hard to get. The other kennels are stacked cages from what I have read. I couldn't find any pictures of them anywhere. I would not put my dog anywhere without seeing pictures or taking a tour first.
__________________

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.