Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake

I was going to say the same thing. If you are there during a crowded time, you need to allow at least 15 minutes to get from the park to your car, then at least a 30 min. drive. So there you have "lost" at least an hour and a half round trip before you even took your break.
This is untrue. Let's say you drove... valet at the resort walking distance to the park. Then 15 minutes to WH or other similarly close off site locations: 20-25 each way. Let's say you are onsite value or mod..wait for transportation from park and ride...20-25 minutes each way. It is the same. Can there be traffic...yes can there be long waits for a bus/ monorail...yes, but it is the same for both. I just got back from WH and not once did we hit traffic. We were at a park or resort every day of our one week vacation and at varying times.
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #32
bdink921
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71 View Post
We stayed at a Windsor Hills 3 bedroom condo in January/February of 2011. We usually stay onsite and even though we had large accommodations for cheap ($99 a night!) we will not stay offsite any time soon. We prefer just hopping on Disney transportation for afternoon breaks and for our family, we prefer the Disney bubble (and the service that goes along with it.
We found this to be true for us too. It became a huge hassle for us staying off site. We like to split up, DH can only take so much of the parks. Staying on site was great for this...want to go back to the room, hop on the bus. With only one rental car, this was not happening. For us, what we saved in $, we spent in aggravation. Didn't like meals in the condo (you mean I have to COOK on vacation?!), no housekeeping, didn't care for the pool (moldy when we went), small small game room. Not a heck of a lot to do. Would have been awesome for a beach vacation, but not our style when it comes to WDW. We like the hustle and bustle of the Disney resorts. Lesson learned, on site for us. And this is from a girl who is always looking for a bargain! YMMV. Good luck with your decision.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #33
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

For us, NOT having to drive to MK alone is worth it to stay on site! The boat or monorail is such a nuisance, and the bus is SO easy and convenient, and MK is the resort we usually go back and forth to, to see the nighttime parades and fireworks.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #34
smorkovsky
Earning My Ears

Thank you ALL for this thread!!!! It was INCREDIBLY helpful!! We are staying at the Poly! I put pen to paper and as long as we get FD, the cost is virtually the same as staying off site, and just a tad cheaper to stay at AofA (because I would upgrade our dining if we stayed value). We'll just stay in a Garden View room (would have to stay in a suite at AofA). I.CANNOT.WAIT!!!!
smorkovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #35
kmb584
DIS Veteran

We've been staying off-site as of late (either WBC or SVV) and have yet to regret it. WBC is located on Disney property (but isn't Disney property) and right next door to Epcot. SVV is a bit further away but still a mere 5-8 minute drive. We reserve a 2 bedroom unit complete with 2 bathrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, lanai or balcony. It's like living in a super upscale hotel for 10 days for pennies on the Disney dollar ($740 is what I paid for our stay at SVV in April). Off-site is becoming more and more popular. We're AP holders and I purchased the TiW card 3 years ago (initially) so while we aren't able to participate in free dining I'm getting 20% off of all of our meals where TiW is accepted.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #36
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb584 View Post
Off-site is becoming more and more popular.
As you have made this statement as fact, can I ask what your source is?

If Disney was having trouble filling up their rooms they would be offering more discounts than they are. They would also not have spent money on adding rooms as they have. I don't doubt some people who used to stay on site are now staying off, but I bet the opposite is true too.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #37
Andrea817
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorkovsky View Post
Thank you ALL for this thread!!!! It was INCREDIBLY helpful!! We are staying at the Poly! I put pen to paper and as long as we get FD, the cost is virtually the same as staying off site, and just a tad cheaper to stay at AofA (because I would upgrade our dining if we stayed value). We'll just stay in a Garden View room (would have to stay in a suite at AofA). I.CANNOT.WAIT!!!!
So glad to hear!! I'm local (3 hours South) and have had more off-site stays than on-site and I can tell you the experience for me and my DH is immensely different. We only recently have started staying on site (moderates only) and refuse to go back. I'm the one with the Disney obsession but even DH agrees that on-site makes the trip SO much more enjoyable and convenient. Not to mention there is nothing like staying in the "bubble". For a first trip, I think on-site is the way to go for the FULL Disney magic. From there you can decide what works best for your family in the future, but I have a feeling you will all be hooked
Andrea817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #38
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

For us a couple of big reasons keeps us on-site for now, both DD's LOVE riding disney tthe bus and we always use EMH. I will say that if disney prices keep rising and their discounts keep shrinking, then we will think harder about staying off-site.

DW DH DD(9) DD(4)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #39
amfie928
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorkovsky
I don't think you will regret it! Its been a realllllly long time since I stayed at the Poly (82 ish? Geesh!) But its still my favorite resort. Every trip I stop by even if its for a quick look around.

Now I have stayed off site maybe as often as on. Granted I haven't always 'paid' for it so I can't quite compare pricing but just being able to hop a bus and go back to the room in the middle of the day is worth it for me. Not that you can't do that offsite but the trip from MK alone makes me cringe! Its not so bad from the other parks.

If staying on site with free dining means no cooking for an extended period of time...count me in! I will be doing my first September stay this year too. I think you and your family will have a fantastic time at WDW and the Poly!
amfie928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Way to go....
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #41
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
In another post you made it sound like you want to take it kind of easy and take some breaks, which might make off-site a bit time consuming for you. Also, I'm not sure what time of year you are thinking of going, but take into consideration the traffic you might have to face when you hit the parking lots.
Great points. If you are going during a low season (especially around January), park hours are shorter and so is daylight, so any extra travel time is more significantly time consuming than if you were going in say July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2 View Post
This is untrue. Let's say you drove... valet at the resort walking distance to the park. Then 15 minutes to WH or other similarly close off site locations: 20-25 each way. Let's say you are onsite value or mod..wait for transportation from park and ride...20-25 minutes each way. It is the same. Can there be traffic...yes can there be long waits for a bus/ monorail...yes, but it is the same for both. I just got back from WH and not once did we hit traffic. We were at a park or resort every day of our one week vacation and at varying times.
At MK, you also have to factor in the trip through TTC which can be messy and time consuming, especially after Wishes and/or during a busy season.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #42
MOM POPPINS
I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) when I go to WDW!

Quote:
Yay You will not regret it! We stayed off-site once and we said never again. Occasionally we will for a few days before moving onsite, but never totally offsite, it's just not the same!

Me DH DD24 DD19 DD16 DD13 DS11
2000 Dixie Landing HIFS '01 Contemporary/Dolphin 2 Trips '02 Dolphin '03 Dolphin '04 BWV/WLV '05 BWV/BCV 2 Trips '06 BWV/Dolphin/Saratoga/OKW 3 Trips '07 BWV/SSR 2 trips '08 BWV May/November '09 BWV March/May/Nov 10 20th. POR AKL Villa's May 11BWV September 11 BWV January 12 AKL Villa's May 12 SSR December 12 May 13 AKL BC Sept 13AKL March 14 OKW June 14Boardwalk January 15

MOM POPPINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #43
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post

At MK, you also have to factor in the trip through TTC which can be messy and time consuming, especially after Wishes and/or during a busy season.
That is a good point. And if you like to stay until park close, the parking lots are usually a mess. For some reason the drive back to the resort always seems to take way longer than the drive to the parks.

Also, many resorts are closer to the parks than 20-25 minutes. POR/POFQ are a 10 minute ride away from Epcot. The All Stars are 10 minutes way from the Animal Kingdom Park. Plus you don't then have to spend time parking the car, and waiting for the shuttle to pick you up and drive you to the park entrance. You are just a short walk away!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #44
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
As you have made this statement as fact, can I ask what your source is?

If Disney was having trouble filling up their rooms they would be offering more discounts than they are. They would also not have spent money on adding rooms as they have. I don't doubt some people who used to stay on site are now staying off, but I bet the opposite is true too.
Judging from the number of hotels in Orlando I would conclude that staying offsite has always been more popular. This is a Disney resort board so obviously the people that post on this board stay onsite. I think overall most WDW visitors are in offsite resorts.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #45
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post

Not if you valet at CR like we did. Leave park, walk to car be home in 15 minutes. I don't know how long it takes from TTC we did valet both days we were at MK.

I see OP has picked the Poly...I think you will have an amazing vacation. We had a lot of fun when we were there...even though we didn't sleep there. It is a beautiful resort
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: