Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

If you are able to choose, then I would choose October.

Most who say summer isnt too bad, IMO,, have no other choice (those with kids, teachers etc.). It is bad, very bad, especially if you are not used to the humidity.

We always go first week in September. The humidity sucks. but we have to as we have kids in school. ( our school starts mid-sept). We deal with it, and to be honest forget about it. But in hindsight there are so many thing we do not do, due to the heat.. Example: we stay at POR or FQ. My mom would love to walk between the two or explore the resorts by foot more. Forget it though, it's too hot for her. She is older, but fit. Walking for her and my kids as a stroll about is too much. At the parks its different you have a destination and AC breaks as many lines are inside. Another thing.. outside seating for eating. Forget it in September. No way in heck wel are sitting outside in 90 degree humid weather. AK is a beautiful park, but QS dining is outside.. We have to pass.

On the otherhand, if you are only able to do summer, accept the heat and deal with it.

It is doable as 1. You are in WDW and having fun,2. lots of AC around and 3. resort pools.
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDreamofPoly View Post
It really depends on your threshold for heat/humidity. We are from LA, and went to WDW last summer (July) with me at 6 months pregnant. It was pretty hot, but we had a great time.
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14

Kimi313 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Last year, we had to move our Feb trip to July because of DH schedule.

I was petrified about the heat in July because of what I could remember of my childhood trips to Disney in July...but, actually, it wasn't that bad. We had one of our best trips.

We are actually going in August next year, on purpose, so obviously going last summer didn't scar us too badly.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
meredith1
DIS Veteran

I live in the deep south and it really is to hot. I don't let my kids outside in the heat of the day. I can't imagine being at a park in the heat and humidity. It's miserable-especially if you're not used to it.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Dis703
DIS Veteran

I was raised in Florida but have lived half my life in NJ and I will not step foot in Florida from June through September. We do May and this trip the third week of May was too hot for me, not unbearable but it made things a little less enjoyable so we are now planning Spring no later than the first week of May for future trips.

Good friends of ours want to plan a big trip where like 5 or 6 families all go together. I was super excited until I heard it has to be in August. I love the idea but just don't see it worth the time and expense to do the summer when I know I'll be miserable.

But if heat and humidity don't bother you much you may be fine.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
LindaLeigh
Earning My Ears

Given the choice, I would, without a doubt, go in October. Even though I've lived in the Midwest for years, I still do not like heat and humidity, and it definitely impacts my enjoyment of a vacation. For that reason, we avoid traveling to Disney during that May-Sept period. Hurricane season is officially June 1-Nov 30, but the most Atlantic hurricanes occur in Sept., followed by August, and then October. You would be decreasing the odds of encountering any problems by waiting until mid-October to go. And, as others have said, the other bonus of going during that time is that Food and Wine and the Halloween party are taking place!

The best Disney vacation we ever had was when we went 6 years ago from Nov 6-14. It was cool in the evening, warm enough during the day to swim, the crowds were non-existent, and to top it off--the resorts were already decorated for Christmas and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party was going on! I would love to go again during that time, but am now reluctant to pull DS12 out of school.

Good luck with your decision!
LindaLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
Dacky619
DIS Veteran

Both DW and I work in education so our vacations can only be between end of May-mid August. We like to try to go as early as possible in the summer, but have taken some late summer trips. We still enjoyed it very much, but it was very different from our early June trips. I really don't think you'd be miserable, but October would be much better.

Dacky619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #23
Karebear
Mouseketeer

Sent you an email

Karebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
Sappermont
DIS Veteran

We went in August of 2011. I live in Colorado where it is dry-VERY DRY! I used to live in CA and CA is like a rainforest compared to CO. So, I was VERY nervous about the heat/humidity in FL in August. I don't do well in humidity.

It was very hot here before we left but not at all humid. Now, don't get me wrong it was HOT and it was HUMID but it really was a fun trip and except for one morning at DTD it really didn't feel all that bad. Now, that's because we were in and out of A/C and pools. I also did a lot of planning in terms of the types of clothes, etc. to bring and we drank a LOT of water throughout the day. I don't think I could operate in that type of heat/humidity on a normal go to work day (in and out of cars, wearing work clothes) but I wouldn't hesitate to go back for a WDW vacation during that time.

Have fun!!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #25
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

We go in August and coming from NJ there's really not that much of a difference temp wise, although it is more humid in FL. Like someone else mentioned, there are plenty of indoor attractions to keep cool, plus the pools feel great in the heat. The only downfall is it will rain every day, but that does cool it down.
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Teacher schedule - We go to WDW every July. Yes, it is hot. I have never spent a July in PA which was cold. However, I don't feel that the heat is intolerable. Simply put - it is July.

We added a late November trip to WDW this year. We were soooooo cold - we all hated it! I guess we have become used to WDW being hot, so it doesn't feel wrong at all for our July trips. It felt wrong in the cold!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
bluepirategrl
Earning My Ears

We go the last two weeks in September and have great weather! Not to hot and doesn't get cold. Crowds are low and the longest wait for anything was about 45-60mins on major attractions and 20mins on everything else. Also it only rained maybe 20mins the whole week!
bluepirategrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #28
JVP1
Mouseketeer

We like going in the summer and pace ourselves. So much of Disney world is based around warm weather activities. We love staying at the poly and enjoy pool time for a few hours every afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate4Ever View Post
It depends on your tolerance for heat and humidity. We live in Nebraska where we can have some pretty miserable summers- some with long stretches of dry heat waves and others with long stretches of humidity and heat together. So for us, we don't mind the summer trips to Disney. Just drink lots of water and take breaks! There are so many indoor attractions/restaurants to cool off in, so you would be fine.
JVP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
TrentzMom
Earning My Ears

I'm a teacher in VA so we don't have an option, summer is the only time to go. We always go in mid to late August... in 2009 we went August 20-27, last year August 18-23, and this year August 7-15. We did a Fourth of July trip back in 2005 and I will NEVER do that again. By the end of summer we are accustomed to heat and humidity so I don't find August to be miserable. We are a family that likes to go early in the morning, come back to eat lunch and swim, and then go back later in the day till close. We also mix up the attractions...do a few outside and then cool down with a show or inside ride.

With the exception of our July trip, I don't find the crowds to be bad. We always try to stay away from the park that has EMHs as usually that is the busiest park.
**June 1996 - Contemporary***July 2005 - Off-Site****August 2009 - 10th Anniversary Trip with All the Family @ Saratoga Springs****August 2012 - 13th Anniversary Trip (just the 2 of us) @ All-Star Music****August 2013 - @ All-Star Sports** **December 2013 - Band Trip @ Saratoga Springs (The band stayed at ASMusic)*****August 2014 - 15th Anniversary Trip @ Dolphin******June 2015 - Youth Group Trip @ TBD***

TrentzMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #30
deakam
DIS Veteran

I have been there the week of Christmas and had to wear winter coats. I have been there over Thanksgiving and in the evening it was too cold to swim. I have been there for Halloween and it gets very chilly at night. Mid May was too hot for me. I actually had to sit down I thought I was going to faint. My daughter got me on the mono rail and we rode between the MK and Epcot until I cooled down. I was just there in February and we had 1 pool day which was nice and every other day we needed a light jacket for part of the day. We have been going the last week of September since discovering free dining. I book the trip to start the last day Free dining is available. Crowds are low and the weather is wonderful. A few times we had rain but just a down pour or 2 and it was over. It is not quite boiling but no jackets are needed at any point. I would say mid to upper 80's.

We always do an indoor air conditioned lunch and all is well. Even at the AK for QS there is Pizzafari and the Burger place in Dinoland but we prefer Yak and Yeti's. They have wonderful cool drinks.

So my point is, I think, if it was to hot Mid May there is no way I would go in July or August. September at least the end of September is my new favorite time.
deakam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: