Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

Embarkation Lunch - Cabanas or Enchanted Garden?

Last cruise we had lunch at Enchanted Garden and really liked the ambience. I noticed that a lot of people tend to go to Cabanas instead. Is that because of the view or do many consider the food at Cabanas better? What is your preference and why?

Trying to decide where to have lunch on our next cruise. If it makes any difference there will be 8 adults and two children in our group.

Thanks!
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
jjnshane
Enjoying some "Invisabili-TEA" with a crazy kid!

Most like it because of the view and the proximity to the pools. I believe the food is exactly the same in both places. If the weather is nice Cabanas will tend to be more crowded. I have sailed when a rather cold and windy storm front was rolling through Florida, and was really grateful to be more inside! With 8 adults you might prefer the more relaxed atmosphere of EG.
jjnshane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

We prefer the view from Cabana's. If weather was bad we'd either sit inside or hit EG.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
Callymum
DIS Veteran

I go to Cabanas because its a nice area to sit in the sun, I am going to try EG this Cruise though as I haven't done it yet.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

It depends on how crowded EG is, and how hungry your group is. If there's a wait, it's quicker to go to Cabanas.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
huffjoann
DIS Veteran

I like EG it is less chaotic and you don't have to find a table,, food same. The view in port to me isn't that special.

Pop Century 6/10; All Star Movies 6/11; off property 11/11; Dream 5/24/12 3 night;
Dream 5/26/13 4 night; Magic TBA
huffjoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

I like EG (as adults) but then i like to go to Parrot Cay on the classics too. Cabanas is nice but it can get very hectic and less room for those carry on's you are dragging around. I enjoy relaxing and having them bring our drinks to the table (one less thing to balance). I prefer that to getting a hot plate of food only to have to sit it down while someone stays at the table to preserve your space, then go over to get your drink(s) and come back to sit down to a lukewarm plate. If you only plan on getting something small and heading out to the tables around the pools, then it works great!

And if you are there during the peak lunch times (ie arrive as it's opening or not long before it closes) then you could have issues trying to find spaces together for 8 adults and 2 children.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
TgrFans
Second time around....

Is EG a buffet on embarkation day? I've only cruised once, and chose Cabana's. thinking about trying EG for my next cruise (in 11days!)
TgrFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

On the classic ships we always preferred Parrot Cay over Topsiders/BBB on embarkation day.

But, found we enjoy Cabanas much better than EG on the new ships on embarkation day. I felt very closed in and felt EG had less choice than Cabanas.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

We ate at Cabanas because it was our first cruise and we didn't know there was any other option (should have spent more time in this forum before we went!). The CM who greeted us as we boarded directed us to Cabanas and didn't mention anything else. We enjoyed it.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
tweis
DIS Veteran

On our first cruise we went to EG because we thought it would be less hectic with the kids and it was. A CM seated us and took our drink orders which was great. On our last cruise it was just DH and I and we were literally some of the first people on the ship so we went to Cabanas. They had a lot more choices than EG and we were able to sit out on deck and enjoy the view. If we had a later PAT or the kids had been with us we probably would have gone to EG just for the convenience factor.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnDRader View Post
We prefer the view from Cabana's. If weather was bad we'd either sit inside or hit EG.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Msmit002
Family Concierge

If you are dealing with food allergies, you might want to stick with EG so the staff can work with your personally to make appropriate choices. Although, I have heard they will do the same at Cabanas. My worry would be that if it is hectic already, try for the less hectic to be more assured that care is given.

Just my $.02.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callymum View Post
I go to Cabanas because its a nice area to sit in the sun, I am going to try EG this Cruise though as I haven't done it yet.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
princesspwrhr
DIS Veteran

When we got onboard the CM by the elevators simply stated that lunch was being served in the Enchanted Garden so that's where we went. I remembered about Cabanas later but I am SO glad we did Enchanted Garden. It was very good, was a great calm start to the voyage and we later discovered that we didn't particularly care for Cabanas. If we had started out there it might have set the wrong tone for our cruise.

(There's nothing wrong with Cabanas at all, the general noise and din of the restaurant bothered my husband who has crowd issues and we weren't find of the way the stations were laid out. The food and staff were still great)
princesspwrhr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: