Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran
 
jwhtewolfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Arabi, LA
Posts: 866

Do I have this ticket procedure correct?

I have a package (room, tickets - 6 day PH, DDP) booked for two adults (booked on Feb 7, added free dining on May 6). I want to upgrade only my one ticket to an AP and possibly purchase a TiW card.

Upon check in, I should have the resort front desk separate my ticket from my KTTW. (KKTW then simply becomes my room key but retains charging privileges.) Then I need to go to either guest relations at DTD or any ticket window in front of a park or any guest relations inside a park and can have my separate ticket upgraded to an AP without fear of it messing up my current reservation or DDP credits. After I'm in possession of an AP, I can purchase a TiW right away (but I must be at a guest relations, not a ticket window). I can then use my TiW card for any appetizers or alcohol not covered by DDP at participating restaurants.

Is all of this correct? My only other question is since I booked the package before the June 3 ticket increase, should I enter a park before upgrading to the AP, or will it not make a difference since I bought the ticket directly from Disney through the package (ie. not discounted through UT)?

Thanks for any insight. I'm new to this; the most complicated thing I've ever done is add a sixth day to a five day ticket.

ETA: Reading the FP+ thread reminded me to ask: are all APs RFID now? Meaning I can use those silly Mickey heads instead of the traditional turnstiles? If it's implemented at the time of my trip (late September) what will become of the MagicBand once the ticket is separated from the room key? Is the band just a room key, or will I not be eligible for a band at that point (not that I care if I have a band or not)? I guess this is speculation at the moment, unless someone else understands a little better what is going on with the whole RFID switch over.
__________________



Hurricane Pet Preparedness
'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR

Last edited by jwhtewolfd; 07-02-2013 at 01:17 AM.
jwhtewolfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 22,961

You don't need to have the ticket removed from your KTTW card. Just hand them that when upgrading.

Since you purchased your ticket before the price increase, use it before upgrading.
__________________
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran
 
MHSweb79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 3,909

Use your KTTW card for park admission, then take it to guest services to do your upgrade. You don't need to have it separated beforehand.

We traded our AP's (bought in Jan) for RFID cards in May, so I assume all new AP's are RFID. Yes, we used the Mickey heads instead of the turnstyles, but frankly, it didn't make the line go much faster. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out before our next trip!
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.
 
Fire14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ashley, OH/ Holland, MI
Posts: 8,847

Our party of 3 has rfid AP's we each got to pick our character for our AP from 4 choices. Yes use ticket before doing upgrade and KNOW YOUR PRICES!!! I had a mini go around with CM about price and what my ticket was worth and this was before ticket prices went up. My ticket was part of pkg. and I never separated it from KTTW card and it never effected my DDP credits.
__________________
Fire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #5
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran
 
jwhtewolfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Arabi, LA
Posts: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
Use your KTTW card for park admission, then take it to guest services to do your upgrade. You don't need to have it separated beforehand.

We traded our AP's (bought in Jan) for RFID cards in May, so I assume all new AP's are RFID. Yes, we used the Mickey heads instead of the turnstyles, but frankly, it didn't make the line go much faster. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out before our next trip!
Thanks. My friend will have a regular KTTW so I wanted to be sure we could enter from the same line. In January the Mickey heads were all the way to the right and the turnstiles were all the way to the left with construction walls in between. Not a fun way to start the day if we had to wait separately. I used the Mickey heads and didn't notice much difference. It still has to "think" before it turns green and people were still just as confused. But I tend to be first or second in line, so no big deal to me either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
Our party of 3 has rfid AP's we each got to pick our character for our AP from 4 choices. Yes use ticket before doing upgrade and KNOW YOUR PRICES!!! I had a mini go around with CM about price and what my ticket was worth and this was before ticket prices went up. My ticket was part of pkg. and I never separated it from KTTW card and it never effected my DDP credits.
I checked my invoice and reservation details, and of course prices are not itemized, just one big lump sum for the package. Does anyone know where I can find out what the tickets cost, or is my best bet to play around with pricing the same package now and doing the math?
__________________



Hurricane Pet Preparedness
'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR
jwhtewolfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #6
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 75,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtewolfd View Post
I checked my invoice and reservation details, and of course prices are not itemized, just one big lump sum for the package. Does anyone know where I can find out what the tickets cost, or is my best bet to play around with pricing the same package now and doing the math?
Exactly what you actually PAID for your ticket is irrelevant (to YOU) in the upgrade.

Once you have USED your ticket to enter a theme park, it will "become worth" the current gate price of a NEW unused ticket with the same assets as your ticket had before you used it.

Subtract that new gate price of the ticket that you HAVE from the new gate price of the ticket that you WANT... and that's the price you owe in the upgrade (plus 6.5% tax on that difference price.)

----------------------------------------------
Current ticket prices HERE.


6-day PH = $358.
Tourist AP= $609.

609 - 358 = 251 x 1.065 (tax) = 267.32

Cost to upgrade = $267.32

Last edited by Robo; 07-03-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Jestocost
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kirkwood, MO
Posts: 6,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtewolfd View Post
My only other question is since I booked the package before the June 3 ticket increase, should I enter a park before upgrading to the AP, or will it not make a difference since I bought the ticket directly from Disney through the package (ie. not discounted through UT)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Exactly what you actually PAID for your ticket is irrelevant (to YOU) in the upgrade.

Once you have USED your ticket to enter a theme park, it will "become worth" the current gate price of a NEW unused ticket with the same assets as your ticket had before you used it.

Subtract that new gate price of the ticket that you HAVE from the new gate price of the ticket that you WANT... and that's the price you owe in the upgrade (plus 6.5% tax on that difference price.)

----------------------------------------------
Current ticket prices HERE.


6-day PH = $358.
Tourist AP= $609.

609 - 358 = 251 x 1.065 (tax) = 267.32

Cost to upgrade = $267.32
Robo of course is correct. One point to clarify based on your original question is that tickets sold as part of a package are, in fact, considered discounted tickets and should be bridged to the current gate price for purposes of an upgrade. It's only separate tickets purchased directly from Disney online or at WDW that are not eligible to be bridged to the current gate price when upgrading.
__________________
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean



Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran
 
jwhtewolfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Arabi, LA
Posts: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Exactly what you actually PAID for your ticket is irrelevant (to YOU) in the upgrade.

Once you have USED your ticket to enter a theme park, it will "become worth" the current gate price of a NEW unused ticket with the same assets as your ticket had before you used it.

Subtract that new gate price of the ticket that you HAVE from the new gate price of the ticket that you WANT... and that's the price you owe in the upgrade (plus 6.5% tax on that difference price.)

----------------------------------------------
Current ticket prices HERE.


6-day PH = $358.
Tourist AP= $609.

609 - 358 = 251 x 1.065 (tax) = 267.32

Cost to upgrade = $267.32
I guess in the back of my head I knew that, but was trying to over think it b/c that's the price I came up with. Thanks for confirming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
Robo of course is correct. Of course! One point to clarify based on your original question is that tickets sold as part of a package are, in fact, considered discounted tickets and should be bridged to the current gate price for purposes of an upgrade. It's only separate tickets purchased directly from Disney online or at WDW that are not eligible to be bridged to the current gate price when upgrading.
I didn't realize that; thanks.
__________________



Hurricane Pet Preparedness
'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR
jwhtewolfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.