Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
CuppieCake04
Mouseketeer

getting a GAC for 2 people?

Hello I was wondering if this is allowed?

My son has Aspergers, ODD, ADHD, stranger Haphephobia, and was just recently rx'd as bipolar.

I have a statement from his doctor wrote on prescription pad paper as I did last year. I just gave them the prescription paper and the CM only asked me what Haphephobia was. and handed us a GAC card.

Wondering if it will be much different this year with the abuse of the card?

2nd, my mom has her own issues, and while we will be together for most of our trip, we will be separated. So she would like her own card if they will give her, her own.

Again because of abuse, will they issues 2 cards to one family?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

Getting 2 GACs shouldn't be a problem. If you're really worried, your mother can just get hers separate from when you're getting the one for your son.

You may find that the CM at GS asks more questions about what accommodations your son needs. You don't need to bring a note from a doctor and giving them a list of diagnoses doesn't tell the CM all that much because two people with the same diagnosis don't necessarily need the same accommodations. As you saw, as well, CMs aren't trained to know what medical diagnoses mean. Sue has a great example of a fake letter with a diagnosis that sounds fancy and impressive and just means that the person's toe is hurt, but a CM wouldn't know that just from the diagnostic term. CMs are not allowed to ask for a letter from a doctor and some will not look at them (they're not really supposed to look at them). You really just need to be able to explain what he needs and you need to have him with you or somewhere that the CM can see him.
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: