Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #31
jamalana
Earning My Ears

I remember and miss the old Disneyland entrance sign and the Mary Blair mural in Tomorrowland. I also remember when It's a Small World was pink and white, before they restored it to the current/original colors.

I also remember when Tomorrowland was redone and the color scheme was brown and golds. I think they were going for more of a desert planet type theme?

I remember the other stuff mentioned too. And I still always flashback to that Inner Space ride whenever I'm in the queue of Star Tours! It's funny, because in my child's mind, I always thought it was called the The Mighty Microscope ride and am only now learning that wasn't the real name!
jamalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #32
dnamertz
DIS Veteran

I also remember many of the things others have listed:

Adventures Thru Inner Space
The mine train ride where BTMRR is now
The boats near Small World
The People Movers
I vaguely remember the ticket books

I also seem to remember the pathway or entrance to the area where Country Bear Jamboree was (not sure if it was called Critter Country bank then). I just remember as you're walking toward that area there was a cave up high to the left (probably where Splash Mt is now) and you could hear a bear snoring in there.

Probably my oldest DL memory was being put on my Dad's shoulders to see the Main Street Electrical Parade. It had to be in the early 1970's sometime, and I'm not even sure if it's a real memory, but it seemed like the parade was so far away.
dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #33
Congo Queen
DLand Devotee Since 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnrhi View Post
I remember when innovations spun.
Yes Innoventions spun for a while didn't it. But even before that it used to be America Sings! which was an attraction my sister worked on when she was a CM. (Of course we all know those animatronics migrated over to Splash.) But before America Sings! the building housed Carousel of Progress which was one of my all time favorite rides as a kid. It used human animatronics to tell a v optimistic story of the benefits of in-home technological innovations. It ended with taking an escalator to the top of the building where you could see a big scale model of Walt Disney's city of the future w/ little cars running on the streets and lighting at night. That model was so cool.
Congo Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #34
SFMommy
Mouseketeer

People Mover
America Sings
Country Bear Jamboree
The original Submarine Voyage
Skyway to Tomorrowland
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse

taking the monorail to the Disneyland Hotel
SFMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #36
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I remember when...

Tomorrowland was really cool. I couldn't wait to go on the "microscope ride" (Adventures thru Inner Space) and the People Mover. Calling Grandma and Grandpa on the futuristic phones where we could all talk at once with no handset.

Taking a sky basket to the other side of the park.

Getting an all day pass instead of a ticket book. We pinned the tickets to our shirt (I still have the Minnie Mouse pin) and we could ride any ride we wanted ALL DAY LONG!

The sold food on Tom Sawyer's Island and I tasted beef jerky for the first time and loved it.

The only food they sold in DL was blah hamburgers so we went over to the DLH to try to find something different.

3 days was plenty of time to visit Disneyland.

The pirates were real and really shooting so I had to duck down in the boat. Ok, I was 4 years old then.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #37
DaveNinja
Mouseketeer

What was the 360 degree screen thats where the Buzz Lightyear ride is now?
Does the Disneyland Hotel still have an arcade that is under the pool?
I remember staying at the Emerald Hotel that was a couple doors south of the DL hotel
Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #38
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalana View Post
I remember and miss the old Disneyland entrance sign and the Mary Blair mural in Tomorrowland. I also remember when It's a Small World was pink and white, before they restored it to the current/original colors.

I also remember when Tomorrowland was redone and the color scheme was brown and golds. I think they were going for more of a desert planet type theme?

I remember the other stuff mentioned too. And I still always flashback to that Inner Space ride whenever I'm in the queue of Star Tours! It's funny, because in my child's mind, I always thought it was called the The Mighty Microscope ride and am only now learning that wasn't the real name!
It was a Jules Vern/HG Wells theme; the influences for Steampunk.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #39
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
What was the 360 degree screen thats where the Buzz Lightyear ride is now?
l
Circlevision! That used to make me so sick. I much preferred it as the line for Rocket Rods, but it was always sooooo long because it would break down so much.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #40
elaw
DIS Veteran

Lots of great info on the subject here: http://www.yesterland.com/
Old 07-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #41
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

I remember going to the Golden Horseshoe Review when they served Pepsi.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #42
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I remember too many things to even begin to start listing them. I am very old. I could form a long list just based on what the Disneyland Hotel used to be like, let alone Disneyland itself. (The late Disney voice actor and famous voice of Tony the Tiger in the old Frosted Flakes ads, Thurl Ravenscroft, was a member of the church I attended as a child, and my first visit to Disneyland was to ride a couple of the rides/see attractions that Thurl had done voices for.)

I actually remember when the DL admission tickets were $15 (or in that range), and I remember another time when the Goofy's Kitchen breakfast buffet cost...wait for it...$11.00!!!!! (Anyone who has eaten at Goofy's in recent years knows that the price is far from $11!)

I moved this thread to the DL Community forum as it's not related to trip planning.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 07-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #44
CanadienneDisneyfan
Earning My Ears

I still have a plastic toy Donald Duck that I bought from a machine when I was 9. I put in some coins, chose the character, then watched the machine make my plastic toy. It is green, and it looks just like the statue of Donald in the park.
CanadienneDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #45
lisachrystine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
I remember when...

The pirates were real and really shooting so I had to duck down in the boat. Ok, I was 4 years old then.
Me, too! I was so scared of the "open water" part. I was convinced that one of those cannon balls was going to blow up our boat! I still remember my parents trying to convince me that it wasn't real ("but, HOW do you know it won't hit us???") Fast forward 30 years and I'm having the same conversation with my kids.

This is such a fun thread. Can't think of anything new to add that hasn't been said already.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: