Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Haygar2
Mouseketeer

Mom and her hubby going to WDW with us

My mom and her husband decided they wanted to go to Disney, next year, with us. I should say, they want to go at the same time. I love my mom, don't get me wrong. She is fabulous and I couldn't ask for better. Her hubby can get a little bit grumpy, at times. We are staying at either WL or AKL. They are staying at POR. I think that this will be a good thing. We will hang out for a bit in the parks (neither one of them ride any rides) and then they will, probably, go back to their room to go to the pool and relax. We will then meet up for dinner and fireworks. We are going in September so I know it is going to be hot. I am concerned that they are going to get "testy" because of the heat and humidity. Has anyone gone on vacation with their parents?
Haygar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
dimndgal1
One little spark...

We did WDW with my MIL, FIL, SIL, and BIL last summer, and it was a first trip for all 4. I was VERY nervous - they are from the West with no humidity and are not big walkers. It definitely took a lot of effort and planning on my part to make sure we had all our ducks in a row, and A LOT of convincing why taking a midday break was necessary and having a resort day was a good thing, but in the end it was a great trip.

We did a split-stay at POR/YC, but had 2 rooms, which (as you point out) was great. The first two days, they were very "we need to do everythign as a group" which DH and I kept trying to get away from: we felt more like doing first part of the day together, break up after lunch (for those that want to go back to the resort), meet up around dinner or even later in the evening. On our resort day, we all hit SAB and we finally broke into our respective couples for the better part of the afternoon, and met up for our Fireworks Cruise that night... it worked so well! Everyone did different stuff that afternoon, we weren't stressed from each other, and it was just relaxing - not to mention a wonderful cruise. The last two park days, we did the AM together, and broke up around lunchtime. One day, we met for dinner and split up again, the next day we met at the resort after dinner and went over to MK for EMH together and stayed together until 2 am.

I HIGHLY recommend spending some time away once your parents 'get' the way things move at Disney - we spent the first day explainng Fast passes and Dining Plan so they would be able to use both. They will tour at a different pace and may want to take in shows that you and family don't, or they may want a midday break when you are ready to press on. Just make sure to schedule some full family meals or times so that they don't feel 'slighted' but explain the virtues of some QT where they can feel like kids again with the magic!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haygar2 View Post
My mom and her husband decided they wanted to go to Disney, next year, with us. I should say, they want to go at the same time. I love my mom, don't get me wrong. She is fabulous and I couldn't ask for better. Her hubby can get a little bit grumpy, at times. We are staying at either WL or AKL. They are staying at POR. I think that this will be a good thing. We will hang out for a bit in the parks (neither one of them ride any rides) and then they will, probably, go back to their room to go to the pool and relax. We will then meet up for dinner and fireworks. We are going in September so I know it is going to be hot. I am concerned that they are going to get "testy" because of the heat and humidity. Has anyone gone on vacation with their parents?
Yep. My parents and our little family both stayed in the same resort two years ago. I initially had the same worries as you -- about the heat and humidity. They seemed fine with the heat actually; the only issue we ran into was my mother not being able to make a decision about where to eat or tell us when she was hungry, so then MEGA-grumpitude reared its ugly head. Despite that bit of unpleasantry, it was a nice vacation. My dad still mentions how great a time he had.

From your strategy, it doesn't seem like you'll be around them TOO often so you probably won't have often. I think staying in two separate resorts and your "limited exposure" plan sounds quite good.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
kathie859
DIS Veteran

I've done a few WDW trips with family (see my countdown--next Jan with DD, DSIL and DGK, ages 10, 7, 5) and make sure we all have time away from each other. It makes for a much more pleasant trip!

I've traveled with my DSis, DBIL, DN and a few friends, too, and I think it's really important to set expectations early in the planning process; I.e., dining preferences for making ADR's etc.

Happy planning!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Haygar2
Mouseketeer

Thank you for responding. I know it will make my husband feel better knowing that others have done the same thing. I know we will have a good time. I just want to make sure that I have some family time with my husband and our 2 kids. I know my mom will get bored waiting while we wait in line for rides. I am hoping they will go and do other things. Maybe we can look at the show schedule when we get there and pick one out. A little early to be worrying about that. Last year, when we went, we drove and ended up getting a good deal on a mini van rental. I am hoping we can do that again next year. If not, fine by me, as long as we get a decent car. My mom, is flying. I had to put a stop to her thinking we were going to be their car and driver while they are there. I reminded her that they have buses that go to all the parks and that she shouldn't rely on us having a mini van again. We might have to go with a small SUV.
Haygar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Thank you for responding. I know it will make my husband feel better knowing that others have done the same thing. I know we will have a good time. I just want to make sure that I have some family time with my husband and our 2 kids. I know my mom will get bored waiting while we wait in line for rides. I am hoping they will go and do other things. Maybe we can look at the show schedule when we get there and pick one out. A little early to be worrying about that. Last year, when we went, we drove and ended up getting a good deal on a mini van rental. I am hoping we can do that again next year. If not, fine by me, as long as we get a decent car. My mom, is flying. I had to put a stop to her thinking we were going to be their car and driver while they are there. I reminded her that they have buses that go to all the parks and that she shouldn't rely on us having a mini van again. We might have to go with a small SUV.
One thing that helped my MIL and FIL was the summer concert series at EPCOT - they found a BeeGees tribute band and spent a couple hours munching on some Mickey Ice Creams and jamming to the 70s. I had never seen them so giggly and jazzed up when they got back to the hotel. It might be worth checking if there are any concerts playing when you're there (they usually publish a list closer to dates)
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A lot. A heck of a lot. And my son and his family have gone to Disney World with us. It's the perfect place since everyone can do what they want.

Don't get so hung up on the potential heat and humidity. If the parents are uncomfortable, they can simply leave the park and do what they want.

You have a lot of time. Be honest with them. That's what we've always done with every single family trip. Discuss before you go that splitting up is a key point so everyone, everyone, can have a good time. Make sure they know that. Make sure your husband and kids know that. Reinforce that all the time should someone get "testy".

Trust me, open and honest communication is the key to any family trip. Disney World or any other place in the world.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
hill6
DIS Veteran

The best thing is that they will be at a different resort. The contact for meals and maybe some other stuff may be just the perfect thing.

We have gone with my mom who has shared a room with my daughter. That has been nothing but WWIII on any vacation that has occurred on. Cruises or Disney.

Saratoga Springs Nov 8-13 our First DVC trip
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post

You have a lot of time. Be honest with them. That's what we've always done with every single family trip. Discuss before you go that splitting up is a key point so everyone, everyone, can have a good time. Make sure they know that. Make sure your husband and kids know that. Reinforce that all the time should someone get "testy".

Trust me, open and honest communication is the key to any family trip. Disney World or any other place in the world.
TOTALLY AGREE! My parents often like to do weekend trips with my DH, DD, and myself. They are very vocal people, as are we, and we have had no problem splitting up for a meal or to do a different activity. When we lived in Hawaii, we went to the Big Island for 5 days, and probably only spent meals and an occasional pool time as a big group - some days we would be just the girls while the boys did whatever, or they would take DD so DH and I could wander alone, or they would split off from us. It was awesome, but we talked about it up front.

My in-laws seemed to take offense when DH mentioned splitting into groups, almost like we were insinuating we didn't like their company... but it didn't take long for them to realize splitting off for awhile saves everyone's sanity! As PP said, as long as you are open and (since they have never been) even offer suggestions for things they might like to do, it will make it more fun for everyone. They may even want to take your 2 kids around for an afternoon so you and DH can have some time and they get grandparent time... never hurts to ask!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
DisneyHardin
DIS Veteran

We vacationed at WDW with my in-laws a few years ago. The first few days we tried to do everything together and the more we tried that, the grouchier I got. DH idolizes his parents, but even he realized we needed to do our own thing or my vacation was going to be ruined. When we agreed to split up and meet up for meals things went much better.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: