Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West on I-4, stop at the Gulf.
Posts: 8,726

AP holders who drive... have ID ready.

There was a thread on this subject a while back - I never posted, but read it with interest. I suppose I could search for it, but since it's been a while, anyway...

I'm fresh back from a week at WDW and can report that I had an equal number of times that I was asked to show ID with my AP for free parking and times that I was waved right through without showing ID.

The times that I did need to show ID, I was asked in what I would deem not particularly friendly manners. Not quite rude, either - just... militant-ish. Twice I asked why, as I'd never before been required to show ID for parking, and was told by one CM at the MK gate, "it's a new rule that went into effect 3 weeks go," and by a CM at DHS, "too many passholders were loaning their passes out to family and friends for free parking."

Note that I was asked for ID in the early morning and 3 hours before park closure. I was waved through without showing ID in the early morning and late afternoon. So I don't think time of day had anything to do with it. Maybe the "new rule" is being slowly released to the CMs in training/meetings?

The first time, I accidentally handed my son's AP instead of my own and received a dirty look when I showed my own ID... realizing my mistake, I apologized and showed my own pass. But it got me thinking... my 11yo son's AP includes free parking, too, and he was right there with me, so we certainly weren't in the wrong in using his pass. As an 11yo, though, he doesn't have a state ID card; I can't help but wonder how the interaction would have continued had I wished to use his card for parking.

Anyway, I suggest passholders just have their ID ready to show from now on. You may not need it, but if you do, things will move much more quickly if you don't have to get out of your vehicle and dig around the back seat for your wallet... like me.
__________________
V's Fuzzy Running. Updated 6/23: Confessions of a Run/Walking Princess

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
kathie859
DIS Veteran
 
kathie859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 3,433

This really isn't a "new " thing. My last trip was Oct. 2012 (I'm taking this year off) and was usually asked for my ID when driving into a park. They had me trained after the 2nd time--had my AP and DL ready. Easy peasy.
Usually the DL got a quickie view at best.
__________________
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan
 
JennyDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,131

I'm an AP holder heading down in 6 weeks. Thanks for the heads up!
__________________
Jenny Drake
JennyDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 11,915

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
There was a thread on this subject a while back - I never posted, but read it with interest. I suppose I could search for it, but since it's been a while, anyway...

I'm fresh back from a week at WDW and can report that I had an equal number of times that I was asked to show ID with my AP for free parking and times that I was waved right through without showing ID.

The times that I did need to show ID, I was asked in what I would deem not particularly friendly manners. Not quite rude, either - just... militant-ish. Twice I asked why, as I'd never before been required to show ID for parking, and was told by one CM at the MK gate, "it's a new rule that went into effect 3 weeks go," and by a CM at DHS, "too many passholders were loaning their passes out to family and friends for free parking."

Note that I was asked for ID in the early morning and 3 hours before park closure. I was waved through without showing ID in the early morning and late afternoon. So I don't think time of day had anything to do with it. Maybe the "new rule" is being slowly released to the CMs in training/meetings?

The first time, I accidentally handed my son's AP instead of my own and received a dirty look when I showed my own ID... realizing my mistake, I apologized and showed my own pass. But it got me thinking... my 11yo son's AP includes free parking, too, and he was right there with me, so we certainly weren't in the wrong in using his pass. As an 11yo, though, he doesn't have a state ID card; I can't help but wonder how the interaction would have continued had I wished to use his card for parking.

Anyway, I suggest passholders just have their ID ready to show from now on. You may not need it, but if you do, things will move much more quickly if you don't have to get out of your vehicle and dig around the back seat for your wallet... like me.
It's possible that the CMs have been asked to "spot check" -- like, asking every third or fourth AP they see as opposed to asking EVERY AP they see. That could account for why you were asked some of the time, but not all of the time.

As for the "not really, but sort of" attitude, I imagine that the CMs at parking have been asked many many MANY times, "Why do I need to show my ID?" over the past several weeks, and I imagine that many AP holders have not necessarily been pleased when asked to dig out their ID. Could be that the CMs are getting a lot of grief for something that isn't their fault, so they've put themselves on auto pilot when that happens. Not an excuse, just a possible explanation.

RE: your son's AP ... yes, he does have the priviledge of free parking even though clearly he's not the one driving the car . But there's no way for the CM to instantly know that the AP you're showing is for the kid in the car, nor do they have any way of knowing that you're that kid's mom. I mean ... YOU know all that, but they've never seen you before. Seems like it would be obvious, but it's not always. Particularly if there's been a lot of people using other peoples' APs to gain free parking.

If it makes you feel any better, I doubt that the CMs are any happier about it than the AP holders are!

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West on I-4, stop at the Gulf.
Posts: 8,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie859 View Post
This really isn't a "new " thing.
Totally new to me - and I'm local and have averaged 30-40 days at WDW a year for 20 years, lol! Must've just been lucky all that time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
It's possible that the CMs have been asked to "spot check" -- like, asking every third or fourth AP they see as opposed to asking EVERY AP they see. That could account for why you were asked some of the time, but not all of the time.
I was thinking that might be the case, too.

Quote:
As for the "not really, but sort of" attitude, I imagine that the CMs at parking have been asked many many MANY times, "Why do I need to show my ID?" over the past several weeks, and I imagine that many AP holders have not necessarily been pleased when asked to dig out their ID. Could be that the CMs are getting a lot of grief for something that isn't their fault, so they've put themselves on auto pilot when that happens. Not an excuse, just a possible explanation.
Well... let's just say that I agree and there was an awful lot - an AWFUL LOT - of "auto pilot" during our trip. Sadly, it was a pretty bad trip overall, customer service-wise. CMs everywhere - including parking attendants - seem very overwhelmed and overworked. Makes me sad for them and irritated with upper management.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just to clarify, I am in no way upset or angered by this new procedure! I've just never seen it happen and was ill-prepared (despite the previous thread mentioning it; I confess, I totally brushed it off as an isolated incident). Thought others might benefit from another first-hand account.
__________________
V's Fuzzy Running. Updated 6/23: Confessions of a Run/Walking Princess

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
kmb584
DIS Veteran
 
kmb584's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 3,367

This is good to know! We're AP holders as well and on our April / May trip I wasn't asked once for ID. There were times when I accidentally handed them my DD's AP (no ID there since she's 4). I'll have to make a mental note to have mine ready as well as my DL when we go in October.
__________________



Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran
 
tndisneyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 2,864

Just wanted to add....When we were there a month ago, a couple of times they actually took our AP and scanned it to see if it was active.
__________________
tndisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
disnut8
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brasleton, GA
Posts: 15,034

Just reminded my husband about this for this weekend (and it will be busy). He said "no problem!" I think he's thinking "at least we don't have to pay the $15".

And, I'm sure he'll make certain he goes through the entrance so the security guard is on MY side of the car!
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
BridgetBordeaux
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,975

Thanks for the update.
__________________
Fort Wilderness 1972, 1978
Honeymoon 1993 offsite
Shades of Green Sept 2000, April 2006, June 2008, Sept 2008, June 2009
POP Dec 2009, June/Sept 2010, June/Sept 2011, May/Sept 2012, May/Sept 2013, May/Sept 2014
BridgetBordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran
 
MrsDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 147 miles from WDW
Posts: 5,045

Good to know! Thanks!
__________________
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,911

We had APs to Sea World/Aquatica/Busch Gardens last year and they did the same thing. There were signs as you pulled to the parking booths saying to have ID ready or it was on the pass itself. They asked for ID less than a fourth of the time.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
MrsNnr
Earning My Ears as a Mommy
 
MrsNnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida!
Posts: 137

We were just there Friday (June 28th) and arrived about 12:30pm at DHS. The vehicle in front of us was asked for ID so we just handed ours with the AP when we pulled up. Did the same at Epcot so we didn't waste time.
__________________
Me = DH = DD = DS =
MrsNnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #13
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better
 
aubriee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Dallas
Posts: 14,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb584 View Post
This is good to know! We're AP holders as well and on our April / May trip I wasn't asked once for ID. There were times when I accidentally handed them my DD's AP (no ID there since she's 4). I'll have to make a mental note to have mine ready as well as my DL when we go in October.
We were there May 10th-20th and was asked to show ID, but only sporadically that week (maybe four or five times). The first time they asked for ID, my husband had handed them his AP, but was sitting on his wallet, so without thinking, when the CM asked for ID, I just handed him mine. The CM took a glance at it, gave us a disgusted look and said he needed either my husband's ID or else my AP. I then handed him my AP. He was the only CM that bent down and really looked at me and the ID. He was really rude about it too. They were the new APs with the parking stripe on them, so they knew they were current and valid for parking and my last name is the same as my husband's. Sorry, I just wasn't thinking. After that I just made sure I handed them my AP with my ID. Most barely glanced at them and no others really looked into the car at me. Most days they didn't even ask for ID, but after that first day, we just made sure we had them handy. We did ask one CM why they were asking for ID sporadically, and he stated too many AP holders were letting friends and family use their APs, so Disney was cracking down. He did laugh and tell us to be sure and not loan our APs out to anyone to try to get into the parks, because if we were caught Disney would take up the annual passes and we would not be able to get them back. Huh, all we asked was why we were having to show ID to park when we never have had to before. I'd never loan our APs out. I'm not stupid!

Last edited by aubriee; 07-02-2013 at 04:49 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 11,915

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
We were there May 10th-20th and was asked to show ID, but only sporadically that week (maybe four or five times). The first time they asked for ID, my husband had handed them his AP, but was sitting on his wallet, so without thinking, when the CM asked for ID, I just handed him mine. The CM took a glance at it, gave us a disgusted look and said he needed either my husband's ID or else my AP. I then handed him my AP. He was the only CM that bent down and really looked at me and the ID. He was really rude about it too. They were the new APs with the parking stripe on them, so they knew they were current and valid for parking and my last name is the same as my husband's. Sorry, I just wasn't thinking. After that I just made sure I handed them my AP with my ID. Most barely glanced at them and no others really looked into the car at me. Most days they didn't even ask for ID, but after that first day, we just made sure we had them handy. We did ask one CM why they were asking for ID sporadically, and he stated too many AP holders were letting friends and family use their APs, so Disney was cracking down. He did laugh and tell us to be sure and not loan our APs out to anyone to try to get into the parks, because if we were caught Disney would take up the annual passes and we would not be able to get them back. Huh, all we asked was why we were having to show ID to park when we never have had to before. I'd never loan our APs out. I'm not stupid!
The CM who looked in your car, taking the extra time to really LOOK at you, reminds me of a TSA guy I got once at an airport in Maine.

I had a tube of toothpaste in my luggage, which apparently had more fluid ounces than it was supposed to (it was a full-sized tube, but there was maybe a quarter of the tube left, so it couldn't have been over 2oz). The guy pulled it out of my Ziploc bag and made a HUGE deal over the fact that I had a FULL TUBE of toothpaste. I apologized and told him that he was free to toss it, and I'd just buy another tube at my destination. He looked at me suspiciously and then opened the toothpaste to check it -- maybe he thought there was something in it and that's why I was so nonchalant about throwing something like that away. Who knows. He squeezed out all of the remaining toothpaste and then tossed it, after which he went through my ENTIRE carryon bag, including riffling through every book I had and checking them to be sure nothing was hidden. He even read the summaries on the back, I guess to be sure that nothing was subversive. He unpacked everything -- to the point where the other TSA guys were all, "geez, Todd, let the lady go." Nope. Not Todd.

He finished, gave it all to me in a heap and then said, "Bet you wish you didn't bring that big tube of toothpaste now, don't you?" I just smiled at him and said, "Thank you for helping keep us safe." Then I took my stuff and spent ten minutes re-folding and re-packing, with the help of one of the TSA ladies, who apologized saying that "Todd's just in a mood." Indeed.

When you mentioned the hyper-vigilant parking CM, I couldn't help but think of Todd. Good times.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
disnut8
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brasleton, GA
Posts: 15,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
We were there May 10th-20th and was asked to show ID, but only sporadically that week (maybe four or five times). The first time they asked for ID, my husband had handed them his AP, but was sitting on his wallet, so without thinking, when the CM asked for ID, I just handed him mine. The CM took a glance at it, gave us a disgusted look and said he needed either my husband's ID or else my AP. I then handed him my AP. He was the only CM that bent down and really looked at me and the ID. He was really rude about it too. They were the new APs with the parking stripe on them, so they knew they were current and valid for parking and my last name is the same as my husband's. Sorry, I just wasn't thinking. After that I just made sure I handed them my AP with my ID. Most barely glanced at them and no others really looked into the car at me. Most days they didn't even ask for ID, but after that first day, we just made sure we had them handy. We did ask one CM why they were asking for ID sporadically, and he stated too many AP holders were letting friends and family use their APs, so Disney was cracking down. He did laugh and tell us to be sure and not loan our APs out to anyone to try to get into the parks, because if we were caught Disney would take up the annual passes and we would not be able to get them back. Huh, all we asked was why we were having to show ID to park when we never have had to before. I'd never loan our APs out. I'm not stupid!
I'm not sure why you were upset the last attendant was joking with you. You already knew to have your ID out and it was an innocent remark to your question. I would have laughed and continued on. I'm sure they get asked that question a hundred times a day and have to have some way to deal with it. It was a harmless joke.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.