Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #46
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
I have to laugh at myself because I did both orange and green, and for some reason green makes me feel sick but orange doesn't! What is wrong with me?
Have you ever tried to eat a green orange?

That'll do it.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #47
kmb584
DIS Veteran

I love orange! However, one must take into consideration that it's the only attraction anywhere that comes complete with a barf bag. The intensity of it isn't for everyone but it's just fine for me!

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #48
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

I've only done orange. While it does push you back in your seat I didn't think it was anything to get sick over. it didn't have any effect on me. So what is green like- could a 4 year old go on it? (he's 43 inches).
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #49
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Having read all the bad stuff about the ride when it first came out, I was petrified of it. When they came up with different versions, I definitely went to the green side. It was okay, but definitely not the most thrilling thing I'd ever experienced. Then, last year, I decided to give the orange side a shot. LOVED it! The g-forces make a huge difference in the ride experience. Now, I only do the orange side, and it's one of my favorite rides!
Trek Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #50
bluwater
Mouseketeer

Orange! And I can be wimpy. It isn't intense the entire ride - just at the start and then a short spin in the middle ( slingshot around the moon). The first time I rode it, I was really worried and tense when it lifted off and I felt the pressure, but then it eased up and was fun. Now I know what to expect when it lifts off and I just yell"woo hoo" and that helps. By the time I finish my woo hoo, the intensity is over :-)
bluwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #51
MagicalMerida
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone, all the replies really helped me to decide- I WILL BRAVE THE ORANGE!!!

TR- AHHH!!! Not another EMH morning! A July/August told by a teen!

MagicalMerida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #52
briane13168
Earning My Ears

What happens differently compared to Green?

I've been reading this thread and nobody really explains the differences except at launch and the moon slingshot. What about when you go weightless or when you are hanging over the cliff at the end of the ride? I've been on GREEN multiple times and am an avid coaster rider. I've never gotten sick on any rides but am a bit concerned about doing Orange since I do take Blood Pressure meds. I've riden the Gravitron, the round up and even something called Devils Hole where you literally stick to a wall and the floor drops out. I really just want to understand all the different sections of the ride to see if I can give Orange a try
briane13168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #53
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by briane13168 View Post
I've been reading this thread and nobody really explains the differences except at launch and the moon slingshot. What about when you go weightless or when you are hanging over the cliff at the end of the ride? I've been on GREEN multiple times and am an avid coaster rider. I've never gotten sick on any rides but am a bit concerned about doing Orange since I do take Blood Pressure meds. I've riden the Gravitron, the round up and even something called Devils Hole where you literally stick to a wall and the floor drops out. I really just want to understand all the different sections of the ride to see if I can give Orange a try
Orange spins, Green doesn't. They use the spinning to make certain scenes more intense. Sounds like you can handle this if you handled those others you listed.

By the way, I have mild hypertension and take meds for it. The feeling on Orange can be unsettling for me, but it's just a few seconds or so and the feeling goes away. Your experience may be different.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #54
BrianL
Doom Buggy Driver

I have a back problem, so I am cautious with certain rides. I opted for Green my first few times, and enjoyed it. I decided to try to brave Orange, as it doesn't spin for very long, and , honestly, experience-wise, I barely noticed a difference. Spinning just doesn't affect me, and I didn't find it all that thrilling either. My back hated me for a few hours, so I'll do Green from now on.

Apparently, it is quite common for people to be wheeled out of Mission Space though, as I have seen EMTs on scene several times as I exited that ride.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #55
BrianL
Doom Buggy Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by briane13168 View Post
As far as I can tell, it only spins for about 30 seconds twice during the ride (takeoff and moonshot). The hanging over the cliff scene does not use the spinning, and is identical in both versions. If you can ride a gravitron, you should be all set.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #56
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

I agree, Orange is basically just a more intense Gravitron ride. Just a lot more intense, and only for two brief (but definitely long enough) periods. There isn't any real weightlessness or air time at all. It's just the sensation of the spinning stopping while the cabin tips you forward. Not a great effect IMO.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR Sep 2014 DLH (HalloweenTime) | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime) | Moving to L.A. 2015!
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #57
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I like the Orange side... The first time I went on it, I took Dramamine beforehand just in case, but it was no big deal. Spinning and G-forces have never bothered me, though.
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #58
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

I loved orange when I went on it in 2007! We're going in September with a six and seven year old who are tall enough to ride, and who I think would enjoy the ride as well. I'm thinking we'll probably do green with them though, as I'm unsure whether they'd be able to handle orange.
Autumnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #59
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
Hahahaha.

Seriously, I've done orange many times and it never bothers me. Tried green last time and it made me sick. Orange didn't.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've done Orange a bunch of times, and loved it, no problem. One day we tried Green, just to see the difference, and I felt sick. I also thought it was a LOT more bumpy feeling. To me, it seemed the spinning pinned you back in the seat so you didn't bounce around as much.

So, go ORANGE.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #60
DizzyStitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalMerida View Post
Which Mission Space do you prefer, Orange or Green. (trying to decide wether to brave Orange)
I did Orange this year for the first time. I have motion sickness and I came out walking. I did amuse my children as I screamed about my eyeballs and other stuff moving to new locations, but I had fun.
Pop Century May 2006Pop Century September 2006Pop Century September 2007All Star Music September 2008Pop Century September 2009Free Dining Bounce Back Pop Century August 2010 Universal June 2012DVC Boardwalk Villas June 2013 DVC SSR June 2014
DizzyStitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: