Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #61
howlongtildisney
Mouseketeer

I am loving your report! I grew up near Wiliamsburg and my grandparents lived in Ford's Colony for about 20 years. (Although not in one of those huge houses!) It's fun to see my hometown through a visitor's eyes.
Me , DH , DS#1 (2) , and DS#2 (born 07.04.13)

Obsessively planning Henry's first trip for summer 2014!

~ 1988 - FW ~ 1994 - CBR ~ 1997 - Offsite ~ 1999 - Offsite ~ 1999 - CBR ~
~ 2000 - CBR ~ 2002 - POR ~ 2008 - Offsite ~ 2009 - OKW ~
howlongtildisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #62
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
This looks like such a beautiful resort. I particularly love the photos of the outdoor pool in the mist. Graham can attest to how difficult taking a photo of cardinals is. They seem to sit all pretty until you have focused the camera on them and then they disappear deeper into the tree or fly off.

Corinna
I swear they would watch me come and as soon as I need one more stop to capture the picture they would fly off. They probably laughed at me all week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlongtildisney View Post
I am loving your report! I grew up near Wiliamsburg and my grandparents lived in Ford's Colony for about 20 years. (Although not in one of those huge houses!) It's fun to see my hometown through a visitor's eyes.
Interesting. And what a small world. it was such a neat area. Living in the flat part of Ohio I did love how pretty Virginia is.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #63
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I really love the grounds. Just gorgeous.

And I love this shot. The backlighting is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post

mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #64
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I really love the grounds. Just gorgeous.

And I love this shot. The backlighting is great.
I thought it was pretty cool too. I wish I could've gotten the bird in a better focus/range.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #65
francis6306
DIS Veteran

I've been reading this on and off all week. I'm caught up now!

I can't believe your dad! He was in some deep denial! Oh well, he got there!!

Your pictures are great, as always!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #66
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
I've been reading this on and off all week. I'm caught up now!

I can't believe your dad! He was in some deep denial! Oh well, he got there!!

Your pictures are great, as always!
Yep!

Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #67
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Another Cardinal spotted!

I walked around the back side of the main building and this was on the other side. I am not sure why they had this fence up. It only went for a short distance and didnít keep anything in or out. You could easily walk around it. My only guess was they were doing some sort of work here and this would keep people from walking right through here.

Another grilling spot.

They had bikes to rent too.

Back around to the front. On the left where it has a gatehouse looking thing was where the pool was.

I went inside to take a bathroom break and these were in there. Amanda loves butterflies.

I donít think I ever took pictures of the lobby or the little store that also had fast food service as well. It was always just too quiet and I felt like I was being watched. Usually that doesnít bother me, but I guess this place just seemed different than where I normally stay.

Back outside.

And here is Dadís gated community. This was the side we were on. He was on the other side of the building trying to get out.

Look. Another Disney Lover is here too!

I worked my way over across the road and found the other part of the Marriott.

These buildings didnít look as nice. But they did have more activities over on that side. A very easy walk from anywhere at the resort though.

Smoking and Tennis go hand in hand, right?

I found another pool, but this one was not filled yet. It did have a neat pool house attached to it and it looked like in summer months they may host events here for the resort guests.

I then put the camera down and wandered a little more and then headed back to the room to get ready for the day.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #68
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

That resort is huge. Strange thing about the fence.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #69
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
That resort is huge. Strange thing about the fence.

Corinna
It was pretty big, but very walkable around the place too. Very peaceful there.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #70
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Once I got back to our room I showered and got ready for the day. The family was NOT moving and I had to get persistent. This was our only chance to go to the park, as they were only open on weekends during our trip. I told them I wanted to arrive early and stay late. That had a lot of grumbles. It got to the point that I was going to leave without them.
As they got ready, Claire and I headed back to the main building and got a local map of the area just in case we needed it. I then gave it to my parents. I shouldíve grabbed 2. I guess I wasnít thinking.

We took both the rental car and Dads truck. My parents are famous for not staying in a park long and my sister is the same way. I never get that and even as a kid we always arrived to parks late and left early. Thatís probably why I am one who wants to get there early and stay late now. I always felt we missed so much back in those days, but being a kid I had no control over it.

We finally headed towards Busch Gardens and my parents followed in the truck. We parked and had to ride a tram over to the park.
I believe we arrived around 11 or so and by 11:20 we saw this.

Now we had to buy Dad a ticket since he was a last minute add on. I had a voucher for 2 free tickets as well. My voucher said to pick them up at any ticket window.

It was pretty busy and we got in line. I asked if this is where I picked up the tickets and was told yes. I was then directed towards a side area that had more windows open with a lessor wait. Ok, that sounds good. UMÖ. not true! The wait was really long. Somewhere along the line we lost the rest of the family as well. We waited and waited and the sun was beaming down on us. Finally they had a few people come out with portable computers to sell tickets. I got one of those people. I told her I had a voucher and I wasnít sure if I would need to go to a window or not. Nope, I needed to go to Guest Service. UGH! But she was sympathetic and said since I waited so long already she would walk me over and just go in herself and get my tickets.

We walked over and I waited outside. I am glad she was doing this because the line there was long also.

After a bit, she came out with a guy. They said they found 3 tickets connected to my name. She read the names and one was for Amanda and one was for Claire and the 3rd was no one we knew, but had the same last name as me. I told her the first 2 were ours, but I bought and paid for those tickets. I just needed the other 2 that went with the voucher, which never required a name.
OK then. They went back in and again were in there for quite a while.

Mom called and wondered where we were and what was taking so long. I told her and they told me where they were sitting so we could find them.

I continued to take pictures as we waited.

The Team Member finally came out again. She said that my voucher just wouldnít scan so they were just going to give me 2 courtesy tickets for the day and also 2 snack vouchers since I had to wait so long. That was so nice of her.
She also noticed us admiring the flowers. She said they had all bloomed over the past week because last weekend they werenít there. I was happy to see we chose the right weekend to come. All the colors were so cheerful.

We then headed off and found Mom and Dad and Amanda. We set forth into the park then.

Of course a little Miss someone had to use the restroom so we looked for one immediately.

We were also getting hungry already. I am one who needs to eat more in the morning or I start getting headaches Öand some might say not very pleasant as well. My Mom swears I am hypoglycemic, and she might be right.
We saw many snack places, but we thought we would find a real meal instead.
After our bathroom break we headed further into the park to see what we may find.

I immediately spotted the Clydesdales.

I have always loved the Clydesdales. Back when we used to have a Sea World in Ohio, that was a highlight to see there and though they really donít do anything special, itís neat to see them.

Claire was only interested in the stuffed Clydesdales, and I told her she could get one with her money, but not till we were ready to leave.

We headed further into the park.

Busch is known for its rollercoasters.

Sadly about 10-15 years ago, my brain and body had a secret meeting. They discussed it and decided it was in my best interest to no longer ride big rollercoasters. They now work together to remind me of that fact. Or perhaps itís old age? Or common sense? Anyways, I now seem to have major issues with heights, something that didnít bother me for years. And after riding a coaster, but my body lets me know about it for days, sometimes weeks after. Sometimes a Dr. visit is even involved.
So you will see lots of pictures of coasters, but you will not get any reviews of them from this family. I was the bravest of them all, so if Iím not riding, no one else is riding.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #71
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Beautiful pictures of the ground! I love sun rays, fog and steam coming off pools, it gives pictures some life.

I'm an early riser! We'd travel well together!

My body and mind had that same conversation just after I had Sammy, so I avoid rollercoaster at all costs, unless I'm pumped full of dramimine and my child gives me the puppy eyes!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #72
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Jen, thanks for the walking tour of the hotel grounds. They are so beautiful. We have so many cardinals in our yard right now. As a matter of fact, we have lots of birds in general. I think that they are all waiting until my sunflowers drop their seeds.

Oh wow! There's no way that you'd get me up on those coasters. Scary!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #73
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, donít drink the Beverly!
If itís still here tomorrowÖ I may ignore it again

WhoaÖ
That was an arduous journey just to get into the park. Itís unfortunate that the electronic transactions that are supposed to make things easier will at times translate into headaches once you arrive at the destination. BG did at least work to fix he problem and that a plus in their column.

But it looks like things improved considerable once yíall got through the gates. When we were here last summer the boys hit every coaster possible about five or six times. There are some really good ones in Williamsburg. The kidís favorite was The Griffon (thatís that one that dives straight down on the first hill).

Also may I say that you take very fine photographs. There are some gorgeous shots in that update and throughout the whole TR for that matter. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #74
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Beautiful pictures of the ground! I love sun rays, fog and steam coming off pools, it gives pictures some life.

I'm an early riser! We'd travel well together!

My body and mind had that same conversation just after I had Sammy, so I avoid rollercoaster at all costs, unless I'm pumped full of dramimine and my child gives me the puppy eyes!
It was pretty and what madei t better was getting away from colder weather.
Even puppy eyes won't get on those big things anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Jen, thanks for the walking tour of the hotel grounds. They are so beautiful. We have so many cardinals in our yard right now. As a matter of fact, we have lots of birds in general. I think that they are all waiting until my sunflowers drop their seeds.

Oh wow! There's no way that you'd get me up on those coasters. Scary!
I used to grow sunflowers too and boy did the birds come then.
These are big coasters, but Cedar Point which isn't too far from us has more and bigger ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
WhoaÖ
That was an arduous journey just to get into the park. Itís unfortunate that the electronic transactions that are supposed to make things easier will at times translate into headaches once you arrive at the destination. BG did at least work to fix he problem and that a plus in their column.

But it looks like things improved considerable once yíall got through the gates. When we were here last summer the boys hit every coaster possible about five or six times. There are some really good ones in Williamsburg. The kidís favorite was The Griffon (thatís that one that dives straight down on the first hill).

Also may I say that you take very fine photographs. There are some gorgeous shots in that update and throughout the whole TR for that matter. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.
The one that drives straight down? Would that be all of them?
I do love taking pictures and it was fun to be taking something totally new for me.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #75
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

What a pain about the tickets. I am glad that they managed to sort it in the end. Those coasters look seriously scary. My limit are the likes of Big Thunder Mountain and on a good day Space Mountain. I can't even do Expedition Everest.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: