Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #31
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
A day of air travel with few problems is a good day.
Sorry to hear that so many in the party weren’t feeling up to par that morning.
Your dad sounds like a real “hoot”. I suspect the bits of the story involving him are going to be quite – shall we say – “colorful”.

Great start… Looking forward to the next piece of the puzzle.

Don’t worry too much about reading my nonsense (few other are worried about it ).
If you do, skip ahead to the Williamsburg stuff, which I’m actually hoping to update a bit some time today or tomorrow.

Now as to your question… It was a fairly short trip of only about four days total for us. Our experience up there was somewhat reversed from yours. Being as I was traveling with a couple of 17 year-old boys, we emphasized getting them onto roller coasters whenever possible (while still getting in some history here and there). So we spent some time at Jamestown and then explored a little bit of Old Williamsburg. The next day was spent mostly at Bush Gardens followed by most of a day back in the Old Town (with a return to BG in the evening). The last day was a run down to Norfolk to see a particular museum, grab some grub at a particular local hang out and then headed back to BG for one last round of Coaster-mania.

We intend to go back sometime without any young’ens in tow (especially as they are headed off to college) and then I’ll spend a lot more time in the Colonial part of town and hit a few other spots like Yorktown, some of the Civil War sites, and possibly Virginia Beach. There’s also more I’d like to see in Norfolk and Newport News.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I did warn you about asking me questions.
I have a nasty habit of answering them
My Dad can make for interesting trips and yes, we had a few interesting moments.

We never made it to yorktown but I kind of wish we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I can't believe that your dad decided to drive down by himself. I am glad that your flights went smoothly. That was real luck that you just had to go to the next gate.

Corinna
It was pure crazy on his part and I don't think he will do that again in the future.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #32
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Poor Jen, it seems like stomach bugs and sleep deprivation are always issues you have before trips.

I guess that I'm the minority here....I felt sorry for your Dad. The poor man wanted to go and you women were trying to keep him at home. I'm almost afraid to read what you're going to say was the reason he was delayed in leaving or what he packed (if anything).

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #33
udflyer00
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to say Hi and I'm following along... I always like to follow as you share so many photos of the things around you!! Living vicariously from my desk at work!! haha..
udflyer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #34
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

I had queasiness.

Nice plane pics.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #35
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Hi all. I am not ignoring everyone. My internet is out. The line fell and was lying across the street, so my wonderful husband took an axe and chops the line since it was draping over the road. Let's just say I haven't been very happy the last few days. I have had a ton of work to do online and no internet to do it. I am at my parents now trying to get as much as i can done in a little time.
I am also not happy with Time Warner who said they would be out on Sat to fix it and after calling several times and being assured they were still coming, I finally got the news, no they aren't scheduled till Tues. I about flipped my lid!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Poor Jen, it seems like stomach bugs and sleep deprivation are always issues you have before trips.

I guess that I'm the minority here....I felt sorry for your Dad. The poor man wanted to go and you women were trying to keep him at home. I'm almost afraid to read what you're going to say was the reason he was delayed in leaving or what he packed (if anything).
I always have issues sleeping the night before. I need to take something to relax me I guess.
My Dad sometimes just works in his own little world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udflyer00 View Post
I just wanted to say Hi and I'm following along... I always like to follow as you share so many photos of the things around you!! Living vicariously from my desk at work!! haha..
Yay! I hope to get more posted in the next week if all goes well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
I had queasiness.

Nice plane pics.
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #36
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

Joining in when I remember. I start to read TR's then forget which ones I'm reading.

I've gone to Williamsburg a few times when my kids were younger. It's probably been about 15 years since I was there. I'm actually going next week for a short trip with friends. It should be fun because when we went to New England a few years ago I talked about going to Plimouth Plantation. My friend didn't know who the Pilgrims were.

Hope you get online again soon.
tazdev3225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #37
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdev3225 View Post
Joining in when I remember. I start to read TR's then forget which ones I'm reading.

I've gone to Williamsburg a few times when my kids were younger. It's probably been about 15 years since I was there. I'm actually going next week for a short trip with friends. It should be fun because when we went to New England a few years ago I talked about going to Plimouth Plantation. My friend didn't know who the Pilgrims were.

Hope you get online again soon.
That is pretty funny.
Thanks for joining in!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #38
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

The Richmond airport was gorgeous. It’s either fairly new or remodeled. At least the area we went through. It looked very modern and clean.
We made our ways to get our bags. Usually it takes a little while for bags to come out, but I think ours were in the first 10 to come out. I was shocked. That was really fast. We then walked over to the car rentals and I checked in for our car. I had a great rate with Hertz because my SIL works for them. I did double check that I was receiving that rate and was handed the keys and off we went.

It was gorgeous outside. It was so nice to be in some warmer weather.

I rented a mid-sized SUV. I think it was an equinox or something along those lines. We jammed our luggage in the back. I am pretty good at getting luggage to fit, it’s a talent of mine …and off we went.
I had printed up directions, but we decided to use Siri on my iPhone. I had just learned how to use the gps recently and I figured it would be easier to use her and my directions could be a backup. Amanda typed in the info and off we went.
I think it was supposed to be about an hour drive, but it really seemed less than that.
Before we knew it we were pulling into Fords Colony where the Marriott Manor Club was located. All I can say is WOW! They had some BIG houses back here. The road was a mile long with lots of huge houses and a few smaller ones, but they were extremely sharp looking too, and a golf course along the way. One thing we notice was that the golf course had dead grass though. I found that odd since we were in such a ritzy neighborhood. At the end of the mile we came to a roundabout and the 3rd stop was ours. There was a country Club back there as well and something else, but I don’t remember what. We turned onto the road and then made a left into the Manor Club. To the right appeared to be more hotels and after doing some exploring one morning I found out that this was an extended part of the Manor Club and it did not look nearly as nice as our side did. Going straight would lead you into what looked to be a gated community.

We pulled up to the main building and all of us hopped out. Mom, Amanda and Claire went in to check us in and I stayed out and took some pictures.

This was the main lobby for check in.

That’s our vehicle on the right.

Soon they came out and we hopped back in the car and headed back to the Patrick Henry building. It was one of the further ones back, but it wasn’t too far and very nice.
We grabbed our luggage and headed in. They had carts in the little foyer area and we loaded it up with the luggage and headed up to the 2nd floor.

I quickly went around and tried to take pictures before it got messed up.
We had a 2 bedroom suite and this was Claire and I’s bedroom.

In the hall outside our room was a big closet that held the washer and dryer. And there was a bathroom to the right of this picture.

A very nice living room and kitchen area.

The Master bedroom was for Mom and Amanda. Since Dad was a late comer we decide he was just going to have to have the pullout couch. He was shocked when we told him, but seriously, we had made sleeping arrangements long ago and it wasn’t fair to any of us to have to take the couch now.

The master bathroom.

No one ever used the hot tub. Mom wouldn’t allow anyone to bathe in it because she said it was too big, which meant whenever someone wanted a bath verses a shower they were in my bathroom. Let’s just say at times it got hectic on our end and Amanda pretty much had the other bathroom to herself on many days.

Our bathroom.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #39
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Enjoying the start to your report.

Can't believe all the pre-trip drama- feeling ill (should have gone to Cheesecake), your on again-off again-on again traveling partner ( dad) and the packing/repacking hysterics!

Love it!

The Marriott Manor looks GORGEOUS! Beautiful building and rooms.
natebenma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #40
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Enjoying the start to your report.

Can't believe all the pre-trip drama- feeling ill (should have gone to Cheesecake), your on again-off again-on again traveling partner ( dad) and the packing/repacking hysterics!

Love it!

The Marriott Manor looks GORGEOUS! Beautiful building and rooms.
Well it wouldn't be a family trip without a little drama ...at least for our family.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #41
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

The hotel looks amazing. I would not have been able to resist this hot tub. I would have been in there every evening and nothing and nobody would have managed to come between me and it.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #42
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
The hotel looks amazing. I would not have been able to resist this hot tub. I would have been in there every evening and nothing and nobody would have managed to come between me and it.

Corinna
LOL. Claire and I had planned to, but we just never had time.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #43
nouveaudismommy
Earning My Ears

Following along as I also live in Virginia Beach and my 2 DSs and I have AP to Bucsh garden, Water country and season passes to ocean Breeze in Va Beach. We also visit Great Wolf Lodge Ounce a year. I love the Bathroom also
nouveaudismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #44
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Nice update… Nice digs too.
Any trip away from home is greatly enhanced by having a decent palace to kick back and relax in-between the adventures. It’s also good that your SIL could help with the auto-rental part of the logistics. Any savings upfront makes room for more potential experiences on the other end of the trip.
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #45
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveaudismommy View Post
Following along as I also live in Virginia Beach and my 2 DSs and I have AP to Bucsh garden, Water country and season passes to ocean Breeze in Va Beach. We also visit Great Wolf Lodge Ounce a year. I love the Bathroom also

Thanks for joining in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Nice update… Nice digs too.
Any trip away from home is greatly enhanced by having a decent palace to kick back and relax in-between the adventures. It’s also good that your SIL could help with the auto-rental part of the logistics. Any savings upfront makes room for more potential experiences on the other end of the trip.
It was a very nice and spacious room.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: