Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
HeyKoolaid
Mouseketeer

Red face Help me slow down my cruise!!

Does anyone else feel like their cruise blows by too quickly? I really tried to savor every moment on our last cruise but I can't help but feel like the whole thing went way too fast. I'm planning for our next cruise and I'm trying to rethink some things. Any tips will be appreciated.
2008 Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
2010 Grand Californian. 2012 Wilderness Lodge
2013 Disney Dream

HeyKoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

we haven't even taken our first cruise yet(in aug) but I am already feeling like it will go by too quick and how will I see and do it all! guess I will be forced to book another real soon!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
erocrobro
DIS Veteran

I hear you! Ours was a 7 night, but I swear it was as if we blinked and it was over. I poured over these boards and really felt like I was as prepared as I could be, but there were still about a hundred things we didn't get to do or we forgot about. Oh well, it just means we will have to go back!

erocrobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

My favorite thing to do is to take a minute to step out of the atrium area (especially when it's crazy crowded or loud) and just go on Deck 4 and enjoy the sea. It is so beautiful out there when the ship is sailing. That slows down time a lot
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Get up early.
Watch sunrise.
Play a game of shuffleboard or go for a run.
You can usually have two hours mostly to yourself if you wake up at/before dawn and wander around taking pictures/going for a jog/enjoying the ship.
Only take the kids to the Mickey pool right when it opens. They can have tons of fun before it gets crazy. Either eat room service beforehand or pick up some Topsiders afterwards.
Skip the sailaway party and go get a spa treatment/pedicure/etc. slows me down in no time. I only have done this once, but sooooo calming.
Go out on deck after dinner and watch the stars. The longer you look, the more you'll see. It's really amazing how many stars you can see at sea compared to land.
Breathe.
Pick one must do activity a day then ignore the navigator. You're going to be back onboard anyhow.
Let your kids enjoy the clubs.
Skip the stage shows that you don't think will be your favorite.
Skip the MDRs at least one per cruise. They tend to be a bit frenetic for me.
Head to Palo at least once. (Slow relaxed dining!)

Last edited by cruisecrasher; 08-01-2013 at 08:33 AM.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Get up early.
Watch sunrise.
You can usually have two hours mostly to yourself if you wake up at/before dawn and wander around taking pictures/going for a jog/enjoying the ship.
Only take the kids to the Mickey pool right when it opens. They can have tons of fun before it gets crazy. Either eat room service beforehand or pick up some Topsiders afterwards.
Skip the sailaway party and go get a spa treatment/pedicure/etc. slows me down in no time. I only have done this once, but sooooo calming.
Go out on deck after dinner and watch the stars. The longer you look, the more you'll see. It's really amazing how many stars you can see at sea compared to land.
Breathe.
Pick one must do activity a day then ignore the navigator. You're going to be back onboard anyhow.
Skip the stage shows that you don't like.
This is some of the best advice I could have asked for, and a good reminder of the perspective I need to keep when planning my upcoming trip. THANKS!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Get up early.
Watch sunrise.
I agree 1000%. It's my favorite thing to do.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Get up early.
Watch sunrise.
Breathe.
As said, this is great advice. And then book a 14 night repo cruise!

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012, Magic WBTA 2014
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
My DW and I decided to do this and will continue. We skip a couple of meals and eat "whatever" we feel like. We've also skipped a few shows. You only have so many hours on a cruise.......I don't want to waste them doing things just because they're scheduled. It feels so good NOT to have to change for dinner or constantly focus on the time because a show starts in 30 minutes. People spend multiple hours a day focused on "what's next". I don't want to be tied to a schedule on vacation. Despite moving slower, I experience more this way. Instead of getting ready for an hour, sitting in the MDR'S for 1 1/2 hours and then a show for another 1 1/2 hours, I'm exploring and stumbling across other activities. I don't do this everyday, but I have and will continue to do it at least twice per cruise.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Some great advice here.

We're getting ready for our 2nd cruise on the Dream and I'm desperately trying to convince my wife to skip a show or two. We've already seen them. The cruise is only a 3 nighter so I, like others, really want to slow it down.

We are treating Nassau as a sea day so that will help. Also, all friends/family travelling with us this time have been on DCL before so we won't feel pressure to make sure they're enjoying themselves and having a good time.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

I hear all the sleepers cringing,

BUT my advice is also to get up early and watch the sunrise from the decks or your verandah - take a long walk and maybe shower in the spa,

then

go get some food and coffee to go for breakfast and bring it back to the cabin.

we then all get our swimsuits on and go up and hit the Mickey pool with another round of fruit platter or food.

This always works to get the best time in for swimming without crowds and then have the rest of the day to leisurely do other activities like the family crafts or autographs or port adventures and not feel like you are missing out on swimming to do those things.

I am still working on trying to slow down evenings myself so I don't have great advice on that because I haven't mastered it yet...

But the mornings and mid days are absolutely relaxing for us on the cruises now.

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Slappy32
Mouseketeer

Nothing beats a three hour dinner at Remy!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy32 View Post
Oh so true!!!

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy32 View Post
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

I and the DW spend a lot of time sitting on our veranda in the afternoon (on sea days), to slow down our cruise a bit. We both have our type of puzzle book and just enjoy sitting out there and enjoying the day. The rest of the day and evening is so packed with activities that we just don't take time to relax. Probably sounds boring to some, but after lunch we generally have the time before the main dining to sit around and watch the waves. Accasionally I will watch a movie on the tv, but have to admit I have seen pretty much every movie on the Magic and Wonder due to our recent cruises, 11 DCL cruises in last 30 months. And ready to get back on to be completely honest.

2014 - 5 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-4:
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 10, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: