Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

How do you fit it all in on embarkation day?

We are going on our first Disney (or any) cruise in October. We have early dining b/c we have young kids who are used to eating at 5:30 every night. So my question is, how do you have time to shower/bathe and get dressed/hair done, etc between the sail away party and early dining? I mean, that's only 30 minutes right? We can get ready pretty fast...but not THAT fast! Should we just skip the sail away? We were planning on watching from above anyway and it's not like it's something we HAVE to do (plus, we have a verandah room). I guess I'm just wondering if it's been an issue for anyone else or if maybe I have my times wrong and there's actually an hour in between? Thanks

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald5 View Post
We are going on our first Disney (or any) cruise in October. We have early dining b/c we have young kids who are used to eating at 5:30 every night. So my question is, how do you have time to shower/bathe and get dressed/hair done, etc between the sail away party and early dining? I mean, that's only 30 minutes right? We can get ready pretty fast...but not THAT fast! Should we just skip the sail away? We were planning on watching from above anyway and it's not like it's something we HAVE to do (plus, we have a verandah room). I guess I'm just wondering if it's been an issue for anyone else or if maybe I have my times wrong and there's actually an hour in between? Thanks
Dinner the first night is basically come as you are (o.k. no swim suits, and supposedly no shorts.) Sometimes the luggage isn't all delivered before dinner, so they certainly don't expect you to show up in your Sunday-go-to-meetin clothes. Relax, it's your vacation. You can bathe after the partying, or the next morning.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
TheHannas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
or the next morning.
LOL ewwwwww!

TheHannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
njdisneylovr
Mouseketeer

We take our showers the morning of ( we stay the night before in Port Canaveral), so even if we take a quick dip, it's usually just a little freshening up that is needed. We dress for dinner right after the muster drill, go to the sail away party in comfy cruise casual, then have plenty of time to walk around, ave a pre- dinner drink, etc, before our early seating.
njdisneylovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
n8nally
DIS Veteran

I was going to say the same thing. Why shower in between Sail Away and dinner?

My plan is to shower at home, in the morning before I leave for PC. I suppose I would shower at the hotel if I was staying at one. Then in between Sail Away and dinner I would just freshen up and change clothes.

I don't want to miss Sail Away! I don't want to miss anything! And my kids and I intend to dress nicely for dinner, so we will be changing out of shorts/tees/etc into pants/polo shirts/sundresses. But since we don't make it a practice to shower twice in one day, embarkation day will not be an exception!

Hopefully we'll still be clean enough, lol!

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Don't miss the sail away. It's loads of fun. We always watch from about but really enjoy it. I would much rather be doing that then getting ready for dinner.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

We don't shower in between the sailaway party and dinner either. We shower the morning of the cruise. As soon as we get on the ship we eat lunch then take care of dinner reservations and any other events we need to sign up for. After that we walk around the ship and take pictures, have a drink. Once the room is ready we settle in, change into our bathing suits and spend a little time at the pool. By this time it's time for the muster drill then the sailaway party. After the party, we go back to the room to change and freshen up for the show and second seating for dinner. After dinner we keep exploring the ship and to bed pretty late. I admit that first day is pretty fast-paced!
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

What do you plan on wearing to the sail away party? You wont need to dress up the first night. Just go to dinner at your scheduled time. Just no swim suits in MDR. Besides formal night its pretty casual in the MDR. We wore jeans, tee shirts, just what we wore throughout the day. Most people did. Its not as fancy as some people make it out to be, only formal night.
Spwhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We had time between the party and the show (we had late dining) so shouldn't there be time before your dinner seating?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Smith70592
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald5 View Post
My wife takes longer to getting ready to go somewhere more than anyother person I ever meet in my entire life, so I get this, but she would never skip out on the sail away party before going to early dining!!! luggage delivered @ 2, enough time to get ready for muster drill 4:00
and 4:30 will begin sail away party
Smith70592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
neg58
DIS Veteran

Usually the sail away party is 4:30 and it finishes right at 5 and the ship takes off. You could hurry to your room at 5 and do all the getting ready because dinner isn't until 5:45 . But only if you feel you need to change. You could shower before the muster drill if you've been doing full out swimming, sweating, etc. all day.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

I guess I was just figuring we'd all need showers after being in the pool for a couple hours then standing around in the florida sun/heat watching the show (we're from Ohio....we melt in that kind of heat and humidity ) before sitting down to dinner. I know I don't particularly want to go to dinner with chlorine hair, BO, and make-up melting down my face (not that I wear it during the day, but I'd wear it to dinner). We'd look like a bunch of rag-a-muffins, as my grandma would say. IDK, I guess I'm in the minority...

Old 06-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Usually the sail away party is 4:30 and it finishes right at 5 and the ship takes off. You could hurry to your room at 5 and do all the getting ready because dinner isn't until 5:45 . But only if you feel you need to change. You could shower before the muster drill if you've been doing full out swimming, sweating, etc. all day.

Nancy
I thought it was at 5 and ended at 5:30. Then dinner at 6. Oy. Maybe I'm all messed up on my times....

Old 06-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Moxin
Mouseketeer

My first cruise was on the Magic in Oct of 98...I do remember it being rather hectic that first day, trying to soak it all in. 8 cruises later, I still think that first day is a bit fast paced, but I wouldn't trade my early dining for anything.

I think the earlier you get on the ship, especially if it's your first cruise, the more time you have to kind of get oriented and settle in. If you're getting on later in the afternoon, you really might feel overwhelmed.

Anyways, best thing to do when you get on board is...RELAX!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Sail away is good for about 5 minutes but otherwise its loud and crowded. You can easily watch from above (with half of your fellow passengers) for a few minutes then head off to get ready!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: