Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #31
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalanik View Post
It's mind-boggling how many posters suggested to OP to completely disregard her husband and CHILDREN'S preference of staying at the Cars suite at AoA and instead stay at Poly. Everyone is suggesting for OP to be selfish and not care what the rest of her family wants. Just wow. As much I LOVE Disney, my family comes first. I go with my family to Disney, I don't go to Disney and bring my family along...
LOL, I'm actually suprised nobody recommended she leave the family at home and take a solo trip and stay at the Poly.

In my house family vacations are 'family' vacations, everyone gets an opinion and I don't just drag them along with whatever I want to do for EVERY vacation.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #32
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julluvsdisney View Post
Thank you for all of your input! I know it's important to make them happy! And I am totally for that! That's why I'm gonna bite the bullet and suck it up! I know the poly will be there the next time. It's not my only chance at staying there. We are still a young family so the kids do really get a kick out of the big objects and theming of the values. I am really excited to see the new resort! I guess I just wanted to hear that others have enjoyed it! Ill will just enjoy my annual ohana dinner to get a mini poly fix and then plan on booking the next trip at the poly !! At least I'm at disney with my boys and DH!
Stayed at Poly and honestly more excited about our POR stay this year! We would have stayed at AoA but with free dining, POR was cheaper, with the ages of your kids they will LOVE the details of AoA..and not to sound preachy, but you better throw all your regret out the door..there is nothing more dampering than the shallow arguing bw parents on the quality of a stay...both mom and dad need to be overjoyed to be on a trip together...time is too short to be concerned about issues like these...go and have a blast!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #33
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for all of your input! I know it's important to make them happy! And I am totally for that! That's why I'm gonna bite the bullet and suck it up! I know the poly will be there the next time. It's not my only chance at staying there. We are still a young family so the kids do really get a kick out of the big objects and theming of the values. I am really excited to see the new resort! I guess I just wanted to hear that others have enjoyed it! Ill will just enjoy my annual ohana dinner to get a mini poly fix and then plan on booking the next trip at the poly !! At least I'm at disney with my boys and DH!
And this kind of attitude will most certainly guarantee you wll have one of the best family vacations ever!
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #34
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Well, while I think the cars suite will be way cool and lots of fun, I do have to say that when you're going by what family members THINK they want, when they haven't seen the hotel, it's hard to always take what they say as absolute. I know that with my son, sometimes he's got some tiny obscure thing in his head that turns out to be entirely wrong, but that little thing is what is causing him to want X instead of Y. So if I say "do you want to stay at All Star Sports or Port Orleans, he might (and this could happen with him) think that Sports will make him play football and expect him to be good at it. So he'll choose PO. NOt because of the pool or the grounds or the rooms or anything, but because he doesn't play football, and thinks he'll be made to play it at All Star.

I've learned to be cautious and ask a billion questions, to see if can I spot the bit of twisted info or skewed thinking that's behind a decision.

Hubby and children are going off of an advertisement and off of pictures on the website. That makes it hard to know what they would TRULY want and what they will ultimately end up loving.

For me, I'd do the split stay option.
This! I thought the pics made AOA look like an option for us in the future. I love both LM and cars and the pricing on the suites are good. After being there I wouldn't stay there(we didn't sleep there I just thought it looked so great that I wanted to check it out). Not worth the price IMO, but It probably depends when you go. We checked it out a couple of weeks ago and it was loud, crowded and not at all what it appeared to look like in photos. It is also something you won't know until you go in person though and experience it and since you do go every year and something the kids really want, I guess I would try it.
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #35
hookedonears
Louisianan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalanik View Post
It's mind-boggling how many posters suggested to OP to completely disregard her husband and CHILDREN'S preference of staying at the Cars suite at AoA and instead stay at Poly. Everyone is suggesting for OP to be selfish and not care what the rest of her family wants. Just wow. As much I LOVE Disney, my family comes first. I go with my family to Disney, I don't go to Disney and bring my family along...
Do you honestly believe that her husband would choose to stay at AoA instead of the Poly, if there weren't other factors involved? The volcano pool, Monorail stop, Magic Kingdom view, electric water parade, sand beach area, shorter bus waits, relaxing tropical atmosphere, larger rooms and on and on and on. The only other factor that I can imagine for her husband to prefer some place else, would be financial, which is perfectly understandable.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #36
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

What about a split vacation. Start at AoA and finish at the Poly.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #37
Chavaleh
Mouseketeer

If you get to return to WDW every year and you can visit Poly next year, I wouldn't get too upset about doing what they want this year. We went with AoA because we're a family of 5 but also because my son (5) LOVES the Cars movies. He had such a fantastic time there and loved coming home to 'Mater every night. My husband and I really enjoyed having our own room and more importantly the extra bathroom especially since we have two teenage girls. It's really a fantastic resort... sure not as laid back and fauxotic as the Poly but quite fun in its own way.
Chavaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #38
hookedonears
Louisianan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperrot1 View Post
What about a split vacation. Start at AoA and finish at the Poly.
A very good idea!
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #39
julluvsdisney
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonears View Post

Do you honestly believe that her husband would choose to stay at AoA instead of the Poly, if there weren't other factors involved? The volcano pool, Monorail stop, Magic Kingdom view, electric water parade, sand beach area, shorter bus waits, relaxing tropical atmosphere, larger rooms and on and on and on. The only other factor that I can imagine for her husband to prefer some place else, would be financial, which is perfectly understandable.
Actually my husband couldn't tell you how much any of our disney trips cost. He has no idea that the poly is more than AoA. He is probably assuming AoA is more because of the size. When it comes to disney my husband takes the approach " happy wife happy life". He just leaves it up to me to pick it all. We actually have been to both resorts. He knows the theming of both. He knows all about the monorail vs bussing situation. He just thinks that the cars suite looking like alot of fun!( he owns a body shop so cars are his passion). Last year we went over to check out the new resort and of course the kids were hooked! At the end of the day I realize my little boys won't be little forever so I'd rather let them enjoy the AoA before they grow out of it. Plus my oldest son is a great artist. he wants to work for Pixar one day and I heard about the daily animator that is in the lobby so how can I not stay there now!

Mouseketeers-ME, DH, DS, DS ,DMOM,DB , DSIL,DAunt
WDW TRIPS*1994 ASMu* 2007 Disneymoon POFQ* 2009 POP*2010 POP*2011 POP* 2012 POR* 2013 POR*2014 POR RR*2014 POR *
julluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #40
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

Another vote for a split stay! We did it with BLT and AKL Jambo. Loved having two different experiences.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #41
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Actually my husband couldn't tell you how much any of our disney trips cost. He has no idea that the poly is more than AoA. He is probably assuming AoA is more because of the size. When it comes to disney my husband takes the approach " happy wife happy life". He just leaves it up to me to pick it all. We actually have been to both resorts. He knows the theming of both. He knows all about the monorail vs bussing situation. He just thinks that the cars suite looking like alot of fun!( he owns a body shop so cars are his passion). Last year we went over to check out the new resort and of course the kids were hooked! At the end of the day I realize my little boys won't be little forever so I'd rather let them enjoy the AoA before they grow out of it. Plus my oldest son is a great artist. he wants to work for Pixar one day and I heard about the daily animator that is in the lobby so how can I not stay there now!
Perfect! If you go often I think a split stay is too much. Poly will be there next time. Have fun
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #42
glaserjm
DIS Veteran

You won't regret it at all...you'll be in Disney!!

Since you go to an annual O'hana dinner anyway, I would suggest spending a little extra time exploring the Poly (show them the volcano pool, the beach, etc.) to get them excited for next year's trip!

I haven't stayed at AoA, but have visited on several occassions and it is a beautifully themed resorts for youngsters...I think they'll love it!

glaserjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #43
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonears View Post
I can imagine it. I can stay anywhere I want and I have chosen CSR over the Poly.

I have stayed at Poly 4 or 5 times, but, now I prefer WL.

I honestly believe people can make a decision on where they want to stay without price being a factor, I have.

I got tired of the Poly lobby always being a train wreck with people crowded around everywhere. I got tired of people bouncing off the walls, playing catch, yelling in the interior hallways at the Poly. I got tired of sharing buses at the Poly, every bus was full by the time it got to us and even if we were full we still had to stop at the GF.

It's not always the money.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #44
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavaleh View Post
...fauxotic ...
I adore that word!

Quote:
We actually have been to both resorts. He knows the theming of both. He knows all about the monorail vs bussing situation. He just thinks that the cars suite looking like alot of fun!( he owns a body shop so cars are his passion). Last year we went over to check out the new resort and of course the kids were hooked! At the end of the day I realize my little boys won't be little forever so I'd rather let them enjoy the AoA before they grow out of it. Plus my oldest son is a great artist. he wants to work for Pixar one day and I heard about the daily animator that is in the lobby so how can I not stay there now!
Ah well that's new info! And good info. I was going off of what sounded like only having seen ads.

Quote:
Then Disney channel showed a commercial about AoA. When he saw the car suites he had me pull up some info about AoA and he was sucked in along with our two boys.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #45
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLover0610 View Post
If Disney is your "addiction" you need to go with a suggestion from your DH and kids. And, as someone said earlier, once you go Deluxe, you can't, you won't, go back. Our first trip together in '08 was at POP. 5 years, and 4 (5th in Oct) trips later, we've stayed at the Epcot resorts - per the DH's request. And it's my addiction we're feeding...
Good luck with the planning. You'll have a magical trip (no matter the location)
I don't agree with the "once you've gone deluxe you can't go back"

We've done deluxe stays at SSR, AKL (x2) WL and BC.

Interspersed were stays at ASMU, POP and POFQ. Our next stay will most likely be at CBR or ASSp.

Different trips for us have different hotel priorities

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: