Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads
 
Alexsandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 538

Help me choose which restaurants to reserve

Hi,
first let me give you some info that might be relevant.
This is a trip to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We've been to WDW 3 times in the last 2 years with the kids but first time as a couple alone. We are both 35 years old. We are arriving on the 12th of September, and leaving on the 18th so 5 days of dining. We are paying OOP. Staying at Polynesian and using disney Transportation (no car). We will have park hoppers. Want to avoid most character meals except maybe Tusker House.

This is what I have reserved so far:

Thurs. 12th: Flying in at 12PM
Kona Cafe 6:35PM (trying for Ohana's but still no luck)

Fri 13th: MK then HS in the evening (Closes at 1AM)
Liberty Tree Tavern 7PM (thinking of cancelling or switching for lunch)

Sat 14th: Epcot
Via Napoli for lunch at 1PM
Hacienda de san angel at 7PM (debating moving this to another night)

Sun 15th: AK then MK (evening EMH)
Tusker House at 10:30 (debating going to Sanaa for lunch instead)

Mon 16th: MK (or can go to AK on this day instead)
Victoria and Alberts at 6PM (official anniversary dinner)

Tues 17th: HS then Epcot
Beaches and Cream for lunch

These are the restaurants I am still debating on reserving: Kona cafe for breakfast, The Wave, Artist Point, Jiko or Sanaa, Bluezoo or Flying Fish, Narcosees.
Oh, and a big one is California Grill if they ever open revs. for my travel dates!

I am willing to change out any restaurant except for V&A. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Alexsandra; 06-30-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads
 
Alexsandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 538

OH I forgot to mention I was also debating going to DTD instead of Epcot on last night so any recommendations on where to eat there would be good too. Thanks
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
These are the restaurants I am still debating on reserving: Kona cafe for breakfast, The Wave, Artist Point, Jiko or Sanaa, Bluezoo or Flying Fish, Narcosees.
Out of these choices, we have only eaten at Artist Point and we loved it. The atmosphere is nice and relaxing and the filet and salmon were amazing .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Quin
DIS Veteran
 
Quin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kansas, US
Posts: 1,925

Thurs - either Kona or Ohana would be fine.

Fri - definitely change LTT to lunch (better food and better timing for you), then just CS dinner - or have lunch later, like 2-ish, and sort of snack your way through dinnertime. A turkey leg here, a funnel cake there; it'll keep you going through park close. Get things that allow you to sit on a bench together and share: that's what this trip is all about.

Sat - so many good choices in Epcot; just go with whichever cuisine(s) you like. This is during Food & Wine, correct? Another good opportunity for a less-expensive TS lunch and then just nibble your way around the world for dinner.

Sun - TH is an awfully fun breakfast, so this might be good to keep. An alternative would be a CS lunch at AK (Flame Tree?) and then an early Signature dinner followed by MK EMH. Narcoossees or CG if it's open would be really convenient, but any resort Signature would work. Since you are already doing 2 parks on Sunday I wouldn't take even more time away from AK by having to bus to AKL for Sanaa and then back again at lunchtime.

Mon - Oh, my goodness. What a WONDERFUL way to celebrate your anniversary!

Tues - I'd look for something besides Beaches & Cream here. I think one of you themes for this trip has to be "things we don't want to do with kids". Try something 'exotic' at Epcot. Maybe lunch at Starring Rolls and dinner at Restaurant Marrakesh? Or Tokyo Dining? Or if you'd like to take a resort-type break between HS and Epcot, have dinner at one of the TS locations that are a bit more "off the beaten path": Olivia's at Old Key West, or Boatwrights at POR, or Turf Club at SSR. Check out the menus/prices and see what appeals to you. Bus from HS to your dinner resort, then bus from that resort back to Epcot for the final night. DTD is OK but I'd much rather end my trip by watching Illuminations than by walking in and out of a bunch of stores. I can go shopping at home.
__________________
--- This space is under construction for your future enjoyment ---
Quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!
 
Minerva Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,361

Hi OP, just wanted to throw out a few of my favorites. Yak & Yeti in AK is awesome, LeCellier, and House of Blues downtown. Enjoy your trip, it sounds like fun!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads
 
Alexsandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
Thurs - either Kona or Ohana would be fine.

Fri - definitely change LTT to lunch (better food and better timing for you), then just CS dinner - or have lunch later, like 2-ish, and sort of snack your way through dinnertime. A turkey leg here, a funnel cake there; it'll keep you going through park close. Get things that allow you to sit on a bench together and share: that's what this trip is all about.

Sat - so many good choices in Epcot; just go with whichever cuisine(s) you like. This is during Food & Wine, correct? Another good opportunity for a less-expensive TS lunch and then just nibble your way around the world for dinner.

Sun - TH is an awfully fun breakfast, so this might be good to keep. An alternative would be a CS lunch at AK (Flame Tree?) and then an early Signature dinner followed by MK EMH. Narcoossees or CG if it's open would be really convenient, but any resort Signature would work. Since you are already doing 2 parks on Sunday I wouldn't take even more time away from AK by having to bus to AKL for Sanaa and then back again at lunchtime.

Mon - Oh, my goodness. What a WONDERFUL way to celebrate your anniversary!

Tues - I'd look for something besides Beaches & Cream here. I think one of you themes for this trip has to be "things we don't want to do with kids". Try something 'exotic' at Epcot. Maybe lunch at Starring Rolls and dinner at Restaurant Marrakesh? Or Tokyo Dining? Or if you'd like to take a resort-type break between HS and Epcot, have dinner at one of the TS locations that are a bit more "off the beaten path": Olivia's at Old Key West, or Boatwrights at POR, or Turf Club at SSR. Check out the menus/prices and see what appeals to you. Bus from HS to your dinner resort, then bus from that resort back to Epcot for the final night. DTD is OK but I'd much rather end my trip by watching Illuminations than by walking in and out of a bunch of stores. I can go shopping at home.
Thanks for all the input. It seems so overwhelming with all the different options.
Unfortunately food and Wine has not started yet!
Ok I took your advise on most and this is what I came up with.

Fri: I will eat early breakfast at Kona cafe and change LTT for late unch as per your suggestion.

Sat: I canceled la Hacienda and kept Via Napoli for lunch. I will munch around WSC for dinner and take in the sights.

Sun: I think I will keep Tusker house as it is my only photo op with characters (not the type to stand in line outside!) then go to The Wave for late dinner!?

Mon: I know, right! I am keeping this day as light as possible since will be packing it in for dinner! Maybe hang around the pool in afternoon.

Tues: I actually always wanted to try Beaches and Cream and treat myself to the No Way Yose Sundays! My oldest has a nut allergy so we can't touch this place when with him. I can still eat a late dinner in Epcot. Unless I reserve La Hacienda for 7 or 8 ish so can watch fireworks from window.

What do you think?
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads
 
Alexsandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 538

I still don't know where to fit in either Artist point, flying fish, blue zoo or Jiko?
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
hgeisler
DIS Veteran
 
hgeisler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lone Jack,MO
Posts: 871

I would definitely recommend Kona for breakfast. So yummy! Artist Point is great too. You could AP on Sunday for dinner where you had the Wave.The Wave is a good place, but it is best for breakfast.
As for DTD, I suggest Raglan Road.
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads
 
Alexsandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 538

Artist point or the Wave on Sunday?
Is The Wave a buffet for breakfast?
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?
 
tarheelmjfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,006

I would drop any of your chosen restaurants, except V&A, for bluezoo. We think it's the best restaurant at WDW, except for V&A of course. In our opinion, their food is a step above Flying Fish. It also has a better atmosphere for couples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
Hi, :wa ve2:
first let me give you some info that might be relevant.
This is a trip to celebrate our 10th anniversary. :lo ve: We've been to WDW 3 times in the last 2 years with the kids but first time as a couple alone. We are both 35 years old. We are arriving on the 12th of September, and leaving on the 18th so 5 days of dining. We are paying OOP. Staying at Polynesian and using disney Transportation (no car). We will have park hoppers. Want to avoid most character meals except maybe Tusker House.

This is what I have reserved so far:

Thurs. 12th: Flying in at 12PM
Kona Cafe 6:35PM (trying for Ohana's but still no luck)

If this is the first time the two of you have vacationed alone, I'd eat a light lunch at Kona, then have a room service dinner late in the evening.


Fri 13th: MK then HS in the evening (Closes at 1AM)
Liberty Tree Tavern 7PM (thinking of cancelling or switching for lunch)

I'd definitely choose LTT lunch over dinner. Although, Hollywood Brown Derby for dinner would be my choice for this day. You could do both, if you spread them far enough apart & don't mind doing 2 TS meals that day.

Sat 14th: Epcot
Via Napoli for lunch at 1PM
Hacienda de san angel at 7PM (debating moving this to another night)

This would be a good time to work in bluezoo, if seeing Illuminations isn't a top priority.

Sun 15th: AK then MK (evening EMH)
Tusker House at 10:30 (debating going to Sanaa for lunch instead0

An early lunch at Sanaa & dinner at California Grill would fit both of those into your plans. If not CG, I'd go with AP.

Mon 16th: MK (or can go to AK on this day instead)
Victoria and Alberts at 6PM (official anniversary dinner)

An early breakfast at Kona would work this day. You'll need to eat something before dinner.

Tues 17th: HS then Epcot
Beaches and Cream for lunch

If you passed on Illuminations on Sat. & you definitely want to see it, this would be the night for an Epcot ADR. If you're okay with missing it, you could fit in DTD after lunch. Having said that, I'd choose Artist Point over the DTD restaurants, if you get into CG Sun.


These are the restaurants I am still debating on reserving: Kona cafe for breakfast, The Wave, Artist Point, Jiko or Sanaa, Bluezoo or Flying Fish, Narcosees.
Oh, and a big one is California Grill if they ever open revs. for my travel dates!

I am willing to change out any restaurant except for V&A. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks:thumb sup2
I realize I have you doing 2 TS meals a day, but we always do that. I also removed some of the restaurants you have planned in favor of the ones you wanted to work in, because I think they're a better choice. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a fantastic anniversary trip.
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(USO)
(")_(")


tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
meredith1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 894

I would do The Wave for their breakfast buffet on your MK day. It's our favorite breakfast on property in terms of food. They use local, organic ingredients and you can tell...it's very good.
__________________
Dec, 2011-Contemorary Resort/TPV
Dec, 2013-Grand Floridian/TPV

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran
 
juliebug1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,246

I would reconsider your park plan on the 13th. DHS is supposed to be having a villain party that night. If DH says that we can afford the weekend, we're there.
__________________

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads
 
Alexsandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
I would reconsider your park plan on the 13th. DHS is supposed to be having a villain party that night. If DH says that we can afford the weekend, we're there.
I know, I was going to MK during the day then HS in the evening to check out the party. As we get closer to the date, once I see more details on this Villain party, I might just spend the whole day at HS. I was actually considering just cancelling all my TS reservations for that day so as to keep my options open. If I am at MK I'll go to BOG for lunch and if I am at HS just do a QS there.
But thanks for the heads up!
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads
 
Alexsandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
I would drop any of your chosen restaurants, except V&A, for bluezoo. We think it's the best restaurant at WDW, except for V&A of course. In our opinion, their food is a step above Flying Fish. It also has a better atmosphere for couples.



I realize I have you doing 2 TS meals a day, but we always do that. I also removed some of the restaurants you have planned in favor of the ones you wanted to work in, because I think they're a better choice. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a fantastic anniversary trip.
Thank you for such great advise.
OK so this is what I think I will end up doing after taking all your suggestions into account:

Thurs 12th:
Kona Cafe for 6:30PM unless I can get Ohana' (I keep Trying but nothing yet)
or room service

Fri 13th: MK morning then HS evening
Breakfast at The Wave (around 8:30).
Late Lunch at BOG or LTT
(back to hotel for swim and afternoon nap)
QS at HS

Sat 14th: Epcot
Lunch at Via Napoli at 1PM
Late dinner at Bluezoo

Sun 15th: AK then MK evening
Brunch at Tusker house 10:30AM
California Grill for dinner (if not Artist Point)

Mon 16th: MK
Breakfast at Kona Cafe at 9:00AM
V&A for anniversary dinner at 6:00PM

Tue 17th: HS then Epcot evening
Beaches and Cream for lunch
La Hacienda de San Angel at 7PM
(End the evening with illuminations)

I think that covers all the bases. What do you think?
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
RonnieJo66
Married her Prince!
Seems that I can talk alot without saying anything of interest!
My kingdom for a Hershey's bar!
Needs a DIS Board addiction patch
 
RonnieJo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kingsburg, CA
Posts: 5,396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
Oh, and a big one is California Grill if they ever open revs. for my travel dates!
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/0...-in-fall-2013/

I don't know if that falls within your trip dates, but I hope it helps
RonnieJo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.