Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
carolynsanta
Earning My Ears

Just realized 9/20 Fantasy is Halloween Themed..and not happy!

Hello Everyone,
Thanks to this discussion board, I just realized my Sept 20th Fantasy cruise is a Halloween themed event. I had no idea!!! I spoke with two DCL agents while trying to book this cruise and no one mentioned it. I am so disappointed. Nothing against Halloween, I am just not a huge fan and was expecting a completely different experience.
This will be my third Disney cruise, 1st was Magic about 10 years ago, and second was also Magic about 5 years ago. Both 7 nights, one eastern one western Caribbean. I LOVED both, so much so I will not cruise any other cruise line. lol.
Anyway, I don't think I have much choice unless I want to lose my deposit. I was debating on Sept 6th or Sept 20, but looking now they are both Halloween cruises. I knew that holiday cruises existed of course, but never expected this for September. FYI-my first two cruises were in the months of September and October. I just don't get why no one mentioned this to me!!!!

Can anyone tell me what to expect on this kind of cruise? Just not wanting to be surrounded by Halloween decorations for my 15 year wedding anniversary.

Thanks in advance!!!

C
carolynsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Another poster actually backed out of theirs before their PIF and booked the Royal Caribbean Allure for their family instead. Theirs was in the beginning of September!

Halloween is NOT for everyone. Not for anyone I call a friend. It's unfortunate, but I also avoid the parks at that time. Not telling others what to like, but it definitely is a personal preference thing. Sorry, OP. Its definitely not my preference either. If you don't have kids, it might be pretty easy to avoid, but the other family did, so they jumped ship...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
carolynsanta
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the reply! I do have an 8 yr old son. I am happy to go trick or treating with him and even dress up. We love answering the door for the younger ones and we even decorate the front lawn and window. I just don't want to go on a Halloween themed cruise in September for my anniversary. lol!!! Not romantic in my opinion..
carolynsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Well, here is what I can tell you and I'm sure others can weigh in with more detailed info......

We were on the Wonder last October, not the Fantasy, so things may not be the same. Here is what I remember about the theme:

One night there was a costume party on desk where guests who wanted to dress up could, we did not. The crew was dressed up at this party. There was music, some dancing and a costume parade. There were people in costumes getting their pictures taken in the lobby, and a costume contest in the lobby also. The next day I remember some carved jack-o-lanterns on top of the buffet when going through the breakfast buffet line. I also noticed some carved jack-o-lanterns on a table at the entrance of Triton's, one of the dining rooms. There was also some candy on that table as well. (These jack-o-lanterns could have been there on the day of the party and not the morning after, I can't quite remember) There was a small display of Disney Halloween-themed souvenirs in the gift shop.

Seriously, that is what I remember about the Halloween-themed cruise. It was basically a one day thing. And, our family did not dress up, but many people did. Great costumes for sure. But, for the life of me, I can't remember anything else Halloween-ish AT ALL that entire week!

Maybe they do things differently and more grand on the Fantasy. But, if not, there is not way I would cancel my cruise or change due to this one day, actually just one evening, of events. Truly.

You sound pretty upset, and I am sorry this whole thing has thrown a wrench into your plans. I hope it works out for you.
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We were on the Dream last October, and I remember even less Halloween-ish stuff than Carrie. I remember...pumpkins. Pumpkins with faces on a tree, and then some big uber-cheesy (oh please get rid of them) decals of jackolantern faces on some of the big round windows on the deck with the jogging track.

That's IT.

We weren't there to dress up, so we didn't partake in dressing up. We weren't there for costume parties, contests, or trick or treating, so we didn't do it. And because we weren't doing it, we avoided the places where it was being done, and we saw none of that. Not hard at all.

I get it if it's a religious thing; I have a Disney-fan friend who is JW and I'm sure she will never go on a Disney cruise during Halloweentime. But just as a preference, honestly it looks more "harvest" or even Kindergarten-class-crafts than full on Halloween. To me. Last year. On the Dream.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
perfectmatch300
United We Stand
Will ride anything with "roller coaster" in the name!

We were on the Sept 28 sailing on the Fantasy last year. I did not know until well after we booked that it was a Halloween themed cruise either. We booked our Fantasy cruise as an OBB while onboard the Dream. I am not sure they had even decided when we booked that our cruise would be themed for Halloween.

Like you, OP, we were sailing to celebrate our anniversary. I wanted that same romantic, Caribbean feel. I was afraid the whole cruise would be overwhelmingly Halloween themed. Well, my fears were completely unfounded. While there were some Halloween events listed in the Navigator, we were hardly aware that they were going on. I had expected to see far more decorations than I did throughout the ship. We found plenty to do that was not related at all to Halloween.

I would say that you should go ahead and go on your cruise. We really enjoyed our anniversary cruise on the Fantasy. I am sure you will enjoy yours as well. Oh, by the way, we are booked on the Dream this year for our anniversary in Sept, doing a B2B this time and not worried at all about the fact that both legs of our B2B are Halloween themed cruises.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:59 AM   #7
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

My extended family and I are booked for the 10/11/14 sailing on the Fantasy. We booked over a year ago and it wasn't listed as a Halloween cruise at the time. I don't think it was listed as a specialty holiday cruise until maybe January but we didn't get any sort of notification from DCL, we found out by accident a couple of weeks ago.

Had we known we likely would have booked a different date but cancelling now just isn't feasible for various reasons. This is a special family trip in celebration of my sister and SIL's anniversaries - they were married two weeks apart and will be celebrating 15 years in October.

I'm hoping the Halloween theme won't be carried out through the entire ship. We're going to make the best of it though and I'm sure we'll have an awesome time regardless.
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 AM   #8
wendlle
Mouseketeer

I'm booked in the same cruise the Halloween stuff is really on,y celebrated on the one night of the cruise and unless you want to participate in the activities you will be able to avoid them. I'm sure it won't ruin anything.
2007 - WDW (Pop Century/Animal Kingdom)
2010 - WDW (Pop Century/Wilderness Lodge)
2012 - WDW (Pop Century - Honeymoon )
2013 - Disneyland
2014 (September) - WDW (Port Orleans FQ & 7nt Eastern Caribbean Cruise
wendlle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #9
Otimon
DIS Veteran

We were on an Oct. Dream cruise last year and can honestly say the "Halloween thing" was not overdone at all. The Lobby was decorated and I do remember seeing a carved pumpkin in Cabanas and pumpkin faces in the windows along the beautiful marble corridor on Deck 3.

It was not overwhelming at all. No need to participate in anything you don't care for - enjoy yourself elsewhere on the ship.
Otimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

Just don't expect it to be the same as last year. That was a test run of Halloween themed cruises. It was more on the Fantasy and Dream I believe. Not that there weren't themed parties and such on the other ships, but we were on the Dream and Halloween was unavoidable. That was good for us, as we love it...but I don't want you to go into it thinking that it was only a few carved pumpkins.

The atrium had a huge Halloweenish tree that grew pumpkins overnight (kind of like the xmas decorations). There wasn't any other decorations other than that in the atrium, but it's not like you could ignore it either. And all the large portholes had pumpkin faces on them like a pp said. The carved pumpkins all over the ship were part of a contest that you could vote on. And then of course the costume contest and some trick or treating. Being as it was only a 3 night for us, we missed all the festivities, too much going on already with the pirate party. But I remember people complained that there wasn't enough Halloween stuff...so if that was only a test, there might be more this year.

Have you seen the Disney Cruise Blog article about it?
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2014...seas-sailings/

And of course Disney's info on their site:
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ho...ses/halloween/

I am not trying to make you feel worse, nor do I think you will need to move your dates or switch to a different cruise line, but I want you to know that it's not in your face, but still unavoidable..kwim? Hope you have a wonderful cruise, and Happy Anniversary!!!

Follow our Progress For March 2015http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50810740
ash-n-brensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
chocolatecake
Earning My Ears

I was on the Fantasy October 2013. The kids each got a small bag of candy in the room and there was a kid dress up party late afternoon. That is all I remember about Halloween. It was a one day deal and did not take over the whole ship. If I did not have kids - I may not have even noticed much except for some people in costume at dinner.
chocolatecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #12
for my family
Mouseketeer

Disney does Halloween up right! I think you'll love it.
for my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
caitlinS9
Earning My Ears

We were on the Fantasy last year just before Halloween & Halloween was no more of a deal than pirate night (actually, if you consider the fireworks, it was even less). The characters were in Halloween attire one night and the kids could get dressed up (if they wanted to) and there was a pretty lame (IMO) deck party that the kids could parade across the stage if they wanted to & there was adults only (disney doesn't have kids do contests to avoid hurt feelings) contest in the atrium later in the evening (we walked through shutters at the time so we saw it from above briefly). Then there were bags of treats in the room for the kids. It was 1 day, I don't remember any other decorations (but I don't go to cabanas). And I agree with others, it was completely avoidable. Please don't go in thinking this will ruin your vacation, because then it will.
caitlinS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
patches4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynsanta View Post
Hello Everyone,
Thanks to this discussion board, I just realized my Sept 20th Fantasy cruise is a Halloween themed event. I had no idea!!! I spoke with two DCL agents while trying to book this cruise and no one mentioned it. I am so disappointed. Nothing against Halloween, I am just not a huge fan and was expecting a completely different experience.
This will be my third Disney cruise, 1st was Magic about 10 years ago, and second was also Magic about 5 years ago. Both 7 nights, one eastern one western Caribbean. I LOVED both, so much so I will not cruise any other cruise line. lol.
Anyway, I don't think I have much choice unless I want to lose my deposit. I was debating on Sept 6th or Sept 20, but looking now they are both Halloween cruises. I knew that holiday cruises existed of course, but never expected this for September. FYI-my first two cruises were in the months of September and October. I just don't get why no one mentioned this to me!!!!

Can anyone tell me what to expect on this kind of cruise? Just not wanting to be surrounded by Halloween decorations for my 15 year wedding anniversary.

Thanks in advance!!!

C
We were on the Fantasy last year for Halloween cruise and it was really not a big deal. As someone said, it was less than for Pirate night. All they did was put up a few banners in the lobby, we didn't have the pumpkin tree. Maybe they will this year, and there was a contest. We only wore Halloween tshirts and it was great because dinner that night was casual attire again! It was not a big deal at all.
patches4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

We are also sailing teh 9/20/14 Fantasy cruise. The Halloween activities were announced after we had booked. I love Halloween, but DH could really do without it. We are a young couple, no kids, but hoping that it will still be a fun time!
Shannon84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: