Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
coneygoil
Mouseketeer

Hopping a Plane Alone with a Toddler...yes, I'm crazy (Jan. '13 TR)

Welcome to my trip report! I'm Nina. I've been to WDW about 30 times since my 1st birthday (the first time my parents brought me). I have a DD named Cady. She's been to WDW 4 times and once when I was pregnant with her.

Cady, Me, and my best friend, Alicia.

Here's a little back story about this trip. I always go with my parents to WDW (my DH hates Disney, so he's only been with us once). It's cheaper to share expenses and just easier usually. I wanted to go on a trip by myself for once! My best friend, Alicia, lives an hour and a half from Orlando so I decided to go stay with her for a week. Of course, Cady had to go with me because she goes everywhere with me! The plan was to stay with Alicia for a couple days, go to WDW for a couple days, and have one more full day of recuperation at Alicia's house before flying back home.

Not sure why I thought it a good idea, but I decided to hop a plane with my daughter, who was just one week shy of her 2nd birthday. Yes, I was crazy!

January 11th
Up in the Air We Go!

January 13th
Traffic on Disney Property???
Dancing Fountains
The Splashpad and Mexico
Off Kilter, here we come!
Don't Make Donald Duck Sad!
Art of Animation kind-of evening

January 14th
Magical Morning
First Look at New Fantasyland
Carousal of Not So Much Progress (and a special announcement!)
Here We Go Under the Sea
Our Evening at Pop and Mom Worries Ahoy!

January 15th
Exploring Pop with my little Minnie Mouse
Cady window shops for friends
Off to Animation Resort
Exploring AoA
Cady Zonks Out and DTD Fun

Zorro Gets The Ladies (10-2-09 MNSSHP)
Hopping a Plane Alone with a Toddler...Yep, I'm Crazy (Jan. '13 TR)
Cast Member Appreciation! In memory of Mr. Bob who worked on Main Street USA

Last edited by coneygoil; 07-24-2013 at 04:28 PM.
coneygoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Sign me up fellow Mississippian! I'm subscribing and looking forward to your TR!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Magic2000
DIS Veteran

I have a granddaughter named Cady (real name is Cadence - we call her Cady). She will be going on her 3rd trip to Disney in September - and she is two years old also!!!

I LOVE Disney - and I am definitely turning her into a Disney nut too!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Subscribing! We'll be headed back to WDW with our 26 mo old DD in November, so I love following other toddler reports!

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD3 Baby #2 (Coming, March 2015!)

WL-January 2015; DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
coneygoil
Mouseketeer

On the day of the flight, my nerves were on edge! It'd been 7 years since I'd flown on a plane. I had all these horrible scenarios like what if they won't let Cady board because she's so close to her 2nd birthday and I'd have to buy her a ticket. Or my best friend would go to the wrong airport to pick us up (we were flying into Tampa instead of Orlando). Or Cady would take the flight badly and scream the whole hour and a half on the plane.

Thankfully NONE of that happened!

We made it through baggage check (carrying a huge carseat, a big suitcase, carry on, and a backpack and child lol), security, and finally got to our gate. I was literally one of the last people to board. A nice Indian couple helped me with my carry on and directed me on what to do while boarding.

We got settled and waited for take off!

I made sure Cady had her pacifier right away since it could help with her ears. We had a window so Cady could see out.

But the little booger closed the window on take off and didn't want opened! I didn't get any pictures of the flight through the window because she kept closing it! Thankfully there was an empty seat between us and the lady who sat on our row, so Cady got her own seat for free She thought the tray tables were the best thing ever.

The flight went pretty smooth and Cady didn't have much time to get too antsy. I wished I could of taken pictures of the Tampa airport, but I didn't have a free hand (or arm or shoulder or leg ).

We found Alicia and her mom pretty fast! We took an elevator down and there they were right by the elevator! I was SO happy to see them. I didn't have to be a pack mule anymore!

It was about a 2 hour drive to their house from Tampa. Cady fell asleep on the way. She'd missed her afternoon nap with all the excitement of flying.

We spent the rest of the day and all day Saturday at Alicia's house. Cady loves Alicia's two dogs and loved (aka pestered) on them the whole time.

Sunday morning we would be on our way to WDW for 2 and a half days!!!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
coneygoil
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic2000 View Post
I have a granddaughter named Cady (real name is Cadence - we call her Cady). She will be going on her 3rd trip to Disney in September - and she is two years old also!!!

I LOVE Disney - and I am definitely turning her into a Disney nut too!!!
That's my daughter's full name - Cadence! We've only called her Cady since she was born. Poor child gonna be so confused when people start calling her by her full name!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
coneygoil
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieODC View Post
Subscribing! We'll be headed back to WDW with our 26 mo old DD in November, so I love following other toddler reports!
It's extremely fun and sometimes frustrating going with a toddler, but the bit of frustration is worth the smiles on their faces!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

In for your TR!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

You're so brave to take a flight on your own with Cady! Looking forward to this new kind of trip experience for you!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
RachelNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

Great start can't wait to hear how it all went!

Goofy442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
coneygoil
Mouseketeer

We were packed and ready by 8:30 the next morning, which totally shocked me! I'm usually fast at getting ready, but getting a toddler ready is a whole different story lol. Alicia took a back way to Disney, a way I had never been before because I didn't recognize any of the signs. But it was a nice drive and we made excellent timing!

Cady said the sun was in her eyes, so Alicia gave her one of the many pairs of sunglasses in her mom's SUV (we had to take her mom's car because hers was acting up and she didn't want us stranded!).

We made it to the back gate a little before 10! We were so excited!

Cady watched our entrance intently.

And then we hit traffic. Traffic on Disney property??? We thought it may have been an accident, but as we drew farther onto the property we realized it was a marathon! We were excited at first to see the marathon in progress and I started snapping away.

A lot of the runners were dressed in costume and it was cute to see that. As we got passed the runners, we noticed our way to Pop Century was closed. No problem. We know Disney property well. We'll find another way! Well, every way we tried was closed!!! At one point we were just 2 hundred yards from Pop and couldn't get to it. We drove around for nearly an hour until we actually drove right off the property again! I was on the verge of an anxiety attack. Poor Alicia had to be the leveled headed one at the moment lol. We drove back onto property and took the road toward Studios from there and FINALLY we found a way to Pop!

Talk about a huge sigh of relief!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

We were there during the marathon, and yes the traffic was crazy. Glad to hear you made it.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Hi! so glad I found your TR! My DD is 17m old and has been 4 times already! Our 5th is in a few weeks and I'll be taking her by myself! Plane trip and all, just like you. Going to be interesting! Can't wait to read more!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
coneygoil
Mouseketeer

This was my very first trip I set up. No one helped. No one paid for it. It was all me, and I felt like such an adult as I got us checked in I was 30 on this trip and finally feeling like an adult But it was an amazing accomplishment to me!

I had reserved for 1 night at Pop and had used a promo code for 30% off. The original price was $120, but with the code it was $80 Thank goodness for promo codes!!! We decided to add another night because it would just be easier on us if we didn't have to worry about packing and all that junk the next morning. We could just take our time on our last morning there and soak up more of Disney.

The CM checking us in was slow and the line had been long, but our room was ready. I asked for a bottom room in the 70's sections. We were always an '80's section family, but after staying in the '70's building a couple trips ago, we liked it way better! The CM made some calls and we got the room we wanted! It wasn't in the courtyard, but that was okay. It was close to the corner where the big wheel is, so it was an okay location.

We brought our luggage in and I got Cady dressed for the day (she was still in her jammies lol). Then we were off to Epcot!

See Cady's birthday button? She wore it the whole trip.

As soon as we arrived at Epcot, we went looking for food since we hadn't had anything since a McDonald's breakfast.

**Funny pasted story: The first time Alicia came with us to WDW in '04, she accidentally left a McDonald's breakfast burrito in her backpack for the entire day and didn't realize it. **

Stopped for a fountain pic.

We chose The Land's counter service, and it's usually yummy but this time I was not impressed, especially for the outrageous prices! And I didn't take pictures of the food for some reason. This was the only one I took. Cady is wonder why her Aunt Lee is squeezing her apple juice box and making a funny face.

Imagination was the closest attraction to The Land, so we strolled over there to let Cadt play with the dancing fountains. She loved them and started a water trend throughout the trip.

SQUIRREL!

Cady's name on the birthday button was already gone and she'd just put it on.

She would have jumped in if I let her!

After the fun at the fountains, we headed to World Showcase and guess what stalled us before we could get there...the splash pad!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

Great pictures Funny we said the same thing about the prices.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: