Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Riverside or FQ?

Hey guys! We are planning our Christmas trip (I know, a little late) and we are settled on Port Orleans. Question is, which is best? Riverside or French Quarter? Rooms, transportation, closest to food court, etc. I'm leaving toward French Quarter from what I've read on here. Also, being originally from Louisiana I frequently went to New Orleans, so I am looking forward to the theming here! Thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
September 29-October 5 2014

Me DBF
KristenRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenRB View Post
Hey guys! We are planning our Christmas trip (I know, a little late) and we are settled on Port Orleans. Question is, which is best? Riverside or French Quarter? Rooms, transportation, closest to food court, etc. I'm leaving toward French Quarter from what I've read on here. Also, being originally from Louisiana I frequently went to New Orleans, so I am looking forward to the theming here! Thanks!!!!

We're fans of POFQ... We enjoy the compactness of the resort ....never far from anything ...

We do walk over to POR, just to take a walk along the river.... Nothing special mind you, food courts similar in tastes ....

We like that POFQ, when it shares buses with POR, FQ gets picked up first but last trip it didn't share ...everyone has their favorite resort, pros and cons and for us POFQ is better and smaller but ideally themed resort !!

DIS Dads Club Member

Last edited by pepe of ohio; 06-18-2013 at 03:04 PM.
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

Stayed at Riverside in December 2012, and it had just finished a total rehab, so the rooms were very nice and clean. It is big however.
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post
Stayed at Riverside in December 2012, and it had just finished a total rehab, so the rooms were very nice and clean. It is big however.
And this is one of the major pulls for Riverside. The fact that it is newly refurbished is a big plus!

However, I have heard it is bigger in size. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing...but I prefer smaller more intimate layouts when it comes to my resort lol thanks for the info!

Me DBF
Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

We love POFQ. It's small and compact with a great food court.

We went last Nov and then in March and the gift shop cm's rememered us from stopping by and pin trading every day (and dh's very distinctive Tigger hat which is 11 years old now). We loved that about pofq. It really seems like they know you there.

Also, only 1 bus stop!!!
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post

We're fans of POFQ... We enjoy the compactness of the resort ....never far from anything ...

We do walk over to POR, just to take a walk along the river.... Nothing special mind you, food courts similar in tastes ....

We like that POFQ, when it shares buses with POR, FQ gets picked up first but last trip it didn't share ...everyone has their favorite resort, pros and cons and for us POFQ is Bjerknes and smaller but ideally themed resort !!
Awesome! Thanks so much! I think this solidifies what I've been thinking. We are booking POFQ for sure now.

Also, I've heard people "decorate" their windows for Christmas lol

Me DBF
Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
elaw
DIS Veteran

We very much prefer the theming of POR ... Alligator bayou over Mansions. Much bigger/better food court too.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And this is one of the major pulls for Riverside. The fact that it is newly refurbished is a big plus!

However, I have heard it is bigger in size. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing...but I prefer smaller more intimate layouts when it comes to my resort lol thanks for the info!

Both resorts have been recently refurbed. It sounds like POFQ would be a better fit for you. We had a great location in bldg 4. But no place is really far.
We prefer POR, mansion section magnolia terrace or Acadian house are very central. POFQ would be my 2nd pic.
CSR is even more spread out, at least at POR there are multiple bridges connections.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw View Post
We very much prefer the theming of POR ... Alligator bayou over Mansions. Much bigger/better food court too.
Is that in the Riverside complex? Or French Quarter? Anything named Allogator Bayou gets my vote! Haha

Me DBF
Old 06-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post

Both resorts have been recently refurbed. It sounds like POFQ would be a better fit for you. We had a great location in bldg 4. But no place is really far.
We prefer POR, mansion section magnolia terrace or Acadian house are very central. POFQ would be my 2nd pic.
CSR is even more spread out, at least at POR there are multiple bridges connections.
Oh, that's great to hear that they have both been refurbed.

Sounds like POR is gorgeous! I have some serious thinking to do...

Me DBF
Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:

See, here is where you are going to get mixed signals then.

We were torn between FQ and Riverside, decided on Riverside because we got the 30% room discount, while we would only have gotten 5% at FQ.

We were VERY glad we did.

We did spend quite a bit of time in FQ, tried their pool, their food, walked through a couple times, took the bus to FQ if it came before the Riverside bus did, we were are Riverside for 2 weeks, so we had time to walk FQ quite a bit.

We didn't find it "intimate" we found it -crowded- and too busy. Its pretty, for certain, but it was too compact, like they tried to shove as many people in that small area as possible. the Walkways are narrow, and often had quite a few people on them, and when golf carts came by, you had to move for them, because there was no room. When you looked out of most of the rooms, you just see more rooms, there, unless you are walking around the outside of the resort, there aren't nearly as nice long pretty views, its just too, crowded, that's the best word I could use for it.

Riverside was beautiful, spacious, well laid out. Its really not too big, as has been said here MANY times, the longest walk to the food court is about 500 yards, and it is a very enjoyable walk. Of course, there are also many much closer rooms as well.

Generally, we just really like the layout, design, and feel of Riverside much more then FQ.

I think our original intent was to do Riverside this time, FQ next time, we will not be going to FQ.

But, its all personal preference.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
jaiminee krikit
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at POFQ (a few years ago) and POR (this past Christmas), and Riverside is my favorite, but just by a teensy bit... We were lucky at POFQ and had a room very close to the food court and bus stop (by very close, I mean we walked down the stairs, and there was the entrance to the food court). Riverside is a lot bigger, but IMO, you go to Disney and you expect to walk a lot. We weren't too far from the food court, and we were close to 2 bus stops at POR. And if the buses leaving the park were ever too full, or a FQ bus came first, we would take that bus and take a lovely stroll back to POR from FQ. We do make it a point to walk around at FQ because I love the atmosphere over there. But for some reason I just love POR... the scenery, the smells... ahhh, I can't wait to go back! And I like that POR has a TS restaurant and Yehaa Bob!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
MKFan-PR
Certified MK Freak! Work is what I do for Vacation money!

You won't be disappointed with either one. They both have their charm. POFQ is smaller, and more manageable in terms of where your room is vs the Food Court. It also feels 'busy' (not in a bad way, for me at least). You feel 'in the center of the action', much like in a city. POR is more spread out, which makes a little more relaxing (esp. in the Alligator Bayou section).

POFQ pool is nice, but I think POR's is better. The options at both food courts are similar, but POR has a table service restaurant, while POFQ does not. POR has several bus stops, while POFQ only has one (they sometimes share buses, but not always). And the boat ride to DTD that they both share is great!

Since they are both "sister" resorts, you can enjoy their amenities no matter on which you are staying

I like POFQ better, but only because I like its theme better than POR's. You'll have a great time at either one. But if you're leaning to POFQ because of it's style, I completeley understand (that's my case ).

'73 - Offsite w/Parents * '75 - CR w/Parents * '77 - Offsite w/Parents * '83 - Offsite w/Parents * 10/94 - CBR - DW * 09/95 - Poly - DW * 11/96 - POFQ - DW * 11/97 - WL - DW * 10/99 - CSR - DW, DD * 08/02 - CBR - DW, DD * 12/03 - Poly - DW, DD * 07-08/05 - POFQ - DW, DD * 12/08 - CBR - DW, DD * 01/12 - AS-Mo DW, DD * 01/14 - POP DW, DD
MKFan-PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is that in the Riverside complex? Or French Quarter? Anything named Allogator Bayou gets my vote! Haha
Yes ... Riverside. POR has two primary themes, The Alligator Bayou is more rural/woodsy and the Mansions are a bit more of a southern plantation theme. FQ is a New Orleans theme.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

They are both fantastic, it all depends on what you want. POFQ is one of the most compact resorts and it is small. If short walks and being close to everything, with good bus service is more important than nature, stay at POFQ. It has a cool theme with the narrow alley like walkways, and it can be very pretty. However, POR is amazingly beautiful. It is bigger and spread out and holds about double the rooms, but it seems more quiet. There are trees, and lawns, and plants everywhere. It is just gorgeous. The main pool is on an island but from the far side it looks like a wooded island, not a pool!

I like them both, but prefer POR because I love the quiet and natural setting. In fact this September, my kids have their own reservation at POFQ and my wife and I have our own reservation at POR!

They are both great, and which ever you choose you can visit the other easily and use their facilities since it is really two resorts in one.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: