Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
cdhale
Mouseketeer

Help! Which Mod? Or just stick with BC?

I am thinking of saving some money on our Sept trip and switching to a mod. We are currently booked at the BC....

1. It's just me any my 2 DDs. We've only stayed deluxe in recent times, so will we (I should say I, because they don't care) be disappointed with a moderate resort?

2. If we do switch, CBR or POR or POFQ?

Thanks!

Nov 14 ~ Poly * Sept 13 ~ POFQ * Jan 11 ~ Poly * Jan 10 ~ Poly * Jan 09 ~ WL * Feb 02 ~ DTD * Mar 97 ~ CBR * Mar 89 ~ off site

cdhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
ChristineOH
Mouseketeer

I haven't stayed at the BC, but I've stayed at the Poly. I've also stayed at POR. The main difference between the resorts was the location. The rooms were a bit smaller at POR, but the grounds, the beds and linens, the pools, etc. were all comparable. We loved POR!

You have to decide it it's worth the cost difference to be able to walk to Epcot/BC vs. taking a bus, having a bigger pool, and maybe being able to see Epcot fireworks from your resort.

POR is beautiful. It's lovely walking around there, especially at night. I liked having the separate buildings. Our room was so quiet! The food court is insanely busy at night, but there are always tables to sit and it has more options than at BC. And if you go to DD, there is the option of a boat.
ChristineOH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Phelia325
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhale View Post
I am thinking of saving some money on our Sept trip and switching to a mod. We are currently booked at the BC....

1. It's just me any my 2 DDs. We've only stayed deluxe in recent times, so will we (I should say I, because they don't care) be disappointed with a moderate resort?

2. If we do switch, CBR or POR or POFQ?

Thanks!
We typically only stay at deluxe resorts. However, my favorite moderate is POFQ. The themeing is really lovely. although, i think the lobby is under construction. Not sure when that will be finished. I don't care for CBR. it's desperately in need of some updating.

BC is one of my favorite deluxes too. how much of a savings if you were to switch to a moderate?
Phelia325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelia325 View Post

We typically only stay at deluxe resorts. However, my favorite moderate is POFQ. The themeing is really lovely. although, i think the lobby is under construction. Not sure when that will be finished. I don't care for CBR. it's desperately in need of some updating.

BC is one of my favorite deluxes too. how much of a savings if you were to switch to a moderate?
About the same for us... Our favorite is WL, but budget trips we stay at POFQ.... More compact, small resort...

We were just there in middle May, only construction was the check in area, boarded off and moved to left side of lobby, next to Scat Cat Club... No impact whatsoever on our trip...

Not a fan if POR... Way too spread out, way too spread out... With 4-5 bus stops, it takes more time to get around then I'm willing to navigate for a mug refill, meal or swim...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

I always try to tell folks to at least try it once, then in the future you will have better knowledge when trying to decide. We have been choosing the Mods for most of our vacations and sprinkling in a deluxe here and there. For the extra $$$ of deluxes, we just do not feel we get the extra $$$ out of it, that is just our opinion. We like POR, we really like the theme and scenary and a lot of times we will get off the bus at the main entrance so we can enjoy the stroll to our room, not long at all. Which ever resort you choose, have a great time.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH

Last edited by buzznina; 06-28-2013 at 07:50 PM.
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
ChristineOH
Mouseketeer

POFQ has lots of fans for its small size. We went over there a couple of times when we stayed at POR. I guess our room location at POR (building 38) was good, because I didn't mind the size of the resort at all. POFQ was nice, but the architecture of the buildings looked more like a value to me. POR's buildings and grounds appealed to me much more, especially the AB side. Beautiful! Good thing, I guess, because we have three kids. I've never stayed at CBR, but it has its fans too. Look at photos and maps and decide what would work best for you.
ChristineOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
cdhale
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the advice... I'm still thinking about it. A standard room at POFQ would save us about $1000. For free dining there are only princess rooms available at POR, so the savings are not as good.

Nov 14 ~ Poly * Sept 13 ~ POFQ * Jan 11 ~ Poly * Jan 10 ~ Poly * Jan 09 ~ WL * Feb 02 ~ DTD * Mar 97 ~ CBR * Mar 89 ~ off site

cdhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
RainK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhale View Post
Thanks for all the advice... I'm still thinking about it. A standard room at POFQ would save us about $1000. For free dining there are only princess rooms available at POR, so the savings are not as good.

For $1000, I would switch, but this me.

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
September 2006 & 2007 POP
Previous 2 visits off site
RainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
mymickeyfans
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POR last October in a Royal Room and LOVED it!!! Beautiful resort, a lot of nice pools to choose from and the CS dining was fantastic. We would stay there again any time!!!

POR-10/8-10/14 2012
Paradise Palms - 10/11-10/20 2013
Windsor Hills - 11/7-11/15/2015
mymickeyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
boundfordisney
I think my finger prints are still on the grab bars to this day

here s a vote for cbr, we love this resort and have stayed at the poly. okw and the yacht club and I have to say cbr is really a resort we miss when we have stayed elsewhere. While I love the yacht club cbr is a close contender, its a beautiful relaxing resort! Pool areas are great and since each village has its own quiet pool crowds are never an issue plus the 2 hot tubs are a bonus! hammocks on the beach, food court is great really miss having that when we stay at deluxe, houskeeping very good never had any issues with buses , some people are turned off by just the double beds but it hasnt been any problem with us. I always have a hard time booking another resort as we love it there so much! We are taking family and friends with us in September and they have never been to disney we booked here knowing its an amazing resort that I know they will love too!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
RHMH
When I retire, I want to get a real job and work for Disney

Location: Born In (Setagaya, Tokyo) Now Living In Fort Worth, Texas

IMO - With 2 DD - I would say POFQ, small enough to get around, bus stop next to the main building, POFQ does not share buses with other Resorts, evening movies on the open lawn, roasting marshmellows around the fire behind building 6, the boat ride to DTD is really neat and the pool is right next the food court.

Love the other Mod's but I think the size would be great for you and your 2 DD.

Like I mentioned, IMO... have a great trip..

Link to RHMH - July 2014 Disneyland Trip Report Thread -- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3302724

DD 15 - (Learning How To - ) ME 56 Issac 24
WDW 2002, WDW 2003, Tokyo Disney 2003, WDW 2004, Paris Disney 2004, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2007, WDW 2008, WDW 2009,

WDW 2010, WDW 2011, WDW 2012, WDW 2013, DLR 2014
RHMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
DJFan88
DIS Veteran

I would totally switch. We LOVE POR! I know you said it's not available to you, only POFQ, which is okay too. You can also take a nice walk over to POR and depending where your room is, is not really all that far. The Food court at POR cannot be beat! Lots of make your own items, really a great value for you CS meal option. Esp. the make your own pasta.
Having the boat to DTD is cool. The whole environment of those 2 resorts is excellent. I haven't stayed at POFQ, but we like to take a walk over from POR. Walking around POR and POFQ is beautiful and not hard at all. I don't find the POR that spread out at all, or POFQ. The walks are not long or hard. I believe there is just one central bus location at POFQ, whereas POR had some stops plus the main one.
I haven't stayed at a deluxe, but we have visited to look around for future or eat at TS, and one thing I have disappointedly noticed about them is that you don't seem to have a good food court like at the mods. If i'm wrong, I'd love to hear about it, esp. if there is a food court that is a deluxe that can beat POR's.

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
DJFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

My vote is for sticking with BC. We stayed at POR and the whole time I missed the feel of the deluxe. I like to enjoy the resort as much as the parks. POR is a huge resort, pretty but big. My vote BC

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
wdwlver
DIS Veteran

I'd stay with BC. Love not having to take a bus to EP or HS...location and SAB. Can't beat it!!

Disney Trips
2014 - GFV & YC - 2013 - BC & BCV - 2012 - GF, BCV - 2011 - BCV, YC - 2010 - POLY & BCV - 2009 - BWV & BCV - 2008 - BWI & BWV, 2007 - BWV, 2006 - BWV & BCV,2005 - SSR & YC, 2004 - WL,2003 - Swan,2002 - WL,2001 - AKL,2000 - GF,1999 - WL & YC,1997 - WL,1994 - GF,1993 - GF & BC,1992 - GF,1991 - CR & BC, - & many trips to DLR
wdwlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznina View Post
I always try to tell folks to at least try it once, then in the future you will have better knowledge when trying to decide. We have been choosing the Mods for most of our vacations and sprinkling in a deluxe here and there. For the extra $$$ of deluxes, we just do not feel we get the extra $$$ out of it, that is just our opinion. We like POR, we really like the theme and scenary and a lot of times we will get off the bus at the main entrance so we can enjoy the stroll to our room, not long at all. Which ever resort you choose, have a great time.
DITTO!

IMHO pros and cons of each:

POR- beautiful resort, decent TS, piano player, plenty of quiet pools that have deep ends, boat ride to DTD, food court w/ many varied GOOD options: can be a hike to the main building and several bus stops within the resort. (Personal note: as I am from the South, I am not wowed by the theming.)

POFQ - lovely views, small so nothing is a hike, tasty food at food court, very friendly staff, boat ride to DTD: food court has very limited seating - you may find yourself without a seat during only moderately busy times; as it is both small and very popular rooms are not always available; does not always have AP or other discounts

CBR - great theming, large rooms, QUIET inside the rooms, good centralized location, plenty of quiet pools that have deep ends: large and very spread out-can be a hike to food court; check in, etc. in different building than food court; food court is average, sit down is terrible. (Note: if you plan to use the food court and refillable mugs I would definitely pay for a preferred room.)

CSR- beautiful lake, fresher food court food, surprisingly good TS, gym facilities: big and spread out, some sections are close to half mile from main building, (Note: if you plan to use the food court and refillable mugs I would definitely pay for a preferred room.)

As always, YMMV!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: