DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #76
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo
 
papamouse1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carlsbad, NM
Posts: 1,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepooh2 View Post
That's the dilemma I face. I realize the cost is going to go up annually BUT 15 years from now (or anytime after my break even from upfront costs is realized) paying even $3,000 annually for a weeks stay seems like it would be worth it when you take into account that the hotel cost at that time would more than likely have increased also. Agree?
Exactly. While it is true you need to consider the fees will go up, it is not a good reason to not buy since the hotels costs will go up, just like everything else.
__________________

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline  
Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #77
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
LOL. Not exactly. I've owned as many as 885 points and I've downsized to 433. I probably should have downsized further. While I don't own the points with the intent of renting them, I usually do because I stay at DVC using other means like timeshare exchanges. I believe it was you that brought up financial advice in a sarcastic and demeaning way.

I'm not delusional on how things operate but I do believe that broke people ask how the monthly payments are and those that aren't, how much the total cost is. If financing is normal, I don't want to be. Being able to make the payment is NOT the same as being able to afford something.
I stated many here seem to be financial advisors . I offered no advice .

I agree with that last statement . But just cause I choices to finance doesn't mean I am broke . It just mean I choose to keep my money liquid for a nominal fee .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #78
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineerTHAT View Post
First of all, I've read a bunch of your posts and you are hostile and bitter about the fact that these people are trying to HELP others know what they are getting into. You are helping no one with your hostility and poor advice.

Second, YOU mentioned financing by saying..."Yes they are . They are also financial advisors too". That had nothing to do with the thread.

Third, age has no bearing on people making sound financial decisions. Young or old, handling your money responsibly is beyond important these days.

Someone please moderate this guy...
Sorry I get a bit defensive when I have to clarify my post multiple time in every thread cause its not the norm . Well I guess if I get banned I will be exactly what I said the same 5-7 people promoting resale and the next guy that come around pro direct will get berated till he can't be bothered with it anymore or gets banned .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline  
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #79
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
I stated many here seem to be financial advisors . I offered no advice .

I agree with that last statement . But just cause I choices to finance doesn't mean I am broke . It just mean I choose to keep my money liquid for a nominal fee .
I think that what people are trying to say is that the safest path to ownership is to not finance and still be liquid. If you (or anyone) are looking at a DVC purchase that is equal to (or a substantial percentage of) your savings, then that is a bit of a topic for discussion. Not judgement, discussion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
Sorry I get a bit defensive when I have to clarify my post multiple time in every thread cause its not the norm . Well I guess if I get banned I will be exactly what I said the same 5-7 people promoting resale and the next guy that come around pro direct will get berated till he can't be bothered with it anymore or gets banned .
You need to understand that we are not promoting resale, we are promoting fiscal responsibility, value and making informed choices. Many of the very same people who are ardent resale advocates are also direct owners. The only difference is that they bought when direct prices were much lower and the gap between direct and resale (if there even was one) was 10-20% not 40-60%. I myself came extremely close to buying a VGF contract direct until I realized that it didn't personally offer me anything that I did not have already at BLT. But I certainly am not against buying VGF direct because I think that it has a reasonably sound exit strategy.

Try not to make things so black and white. This is a very gray area.
__________________
ELMC is offline  
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #80
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 7,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
It just mean I choose to keep my money liquid for a nominal fee .
I don't know if anyone would call an interest rate of 10 to 14 percent a nominal fee. People have spelled out the numbers in other threads that those interest rates over the course of 5 to 10 years will effectively increase your price 50 to 100 percent over what you will pay using cash. So for the sake of the people who are trying to figure out if DVC works for them, don't dismiss those costs as pennies on the dollar.

I know this will probably get a rant about how you're always picked on in these threads, but the bottom line is there are people who are genuinely looking for information and they deserve facts. None of us "hate" direct buying. I just bought a contract direct and before I bought that VGF contract, I'd considered adding on BWV points before the price increase. I wanted a small contract and could pay cash for it. And I've said over and over again that there are circumstances in which buying directly through Disney makes sense. So this isn't an "I hate direct" rant by any stretch.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 8/14 Past TR: 5/14, 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #81
ImagineerTHAT
Imaginerd
 
ImagineerTHAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
Sorry I get a bit defensive when I have to clarify my post multiple time in every thread cause its not the norm . Well I guess if I get banned I will be exactly what I said the same 5-7 people promoting resale and the next guy that come around pro direct will get berated till he can't be bothered with it anymore or gets banned .
I personally have nothing wrong with you buying direct or financing. Your name "BestDadEver" says that you love your kids and that you want them to enjoy their life. If you choose to buy direct and/or finance to take your kids to WDW every year, I praise you for it. The smiles are part of the payoff!

I just think you need to let the resale pushers help people figure out the best way to decide. Most know about direct, and have to learn about the benefits of resale.

Direct sales are a good thing too...they keep the ship afloat!
ImagineerTHAT is offline  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #82
Goofy DVC
OKW member since 93
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 365

I definitely think that Disney needs to either
1.) Change the mouse keeping policy regarding towels and amentities because it does not match travel industry norms. I do a lot of business travel. I am an Ambassador Platinum member with Intercontinental hotels meaning I spend a lot of nights on the road. I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of nights I stay, usually a week at a time, housekeeping leaves me extra shampoo and conditioner every day, even if I don't need it. One hotel chain even has a commercial with a guest shoving so much shampoo and conditioner into a suitcase that it can't close. The commercial spokesperson says you deserve more rewards than just shampoo and conditioner. DVC is fighting that battle. I know people will say that DVC is not a hotel but a timeshare but many people see it as their lodging and want to compare it that way. Not that it is right but it is true.
2.) Train mouse keepers and guests on the policy. My sister recently stayed at a DVC resort on our points and while there called and asked me about more shampoo. I told her that there would be trash and tidy service but they may or may not leave shampoo but that they could purchase it. The next day she texted me saying that they were good as mouse keeping left several shampoo bottles for them. Maybe the policy needs to be emphasized at check in to both remind and inform those guest who don't know.
3.) Do away with all towels and amenities. Problem solved. Personally I hate this idea.
I vote idea #1, provide more towels, etc upon request with the full understanding that my dues will go up.
Goofy DVC is offline  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #83
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I don't know if anyone would call an interest rate of 10 to 14 percent a nominal fee. People have spelled out the numbers in other threads that those interest rates over the course of 5 to 10 years will effectively increase your price 50 to 100 percent over what you will pay using cash. So for the sake of the people who are trying to figure out if DVC works for them, don't dismiss those costs as pennies on the dollar.

I know this will probably get a rant about how you're always picked on in these threads, but the bottom line is there are people who are genuinely looking for information and they deserve facts. None of us "hate" direct buying. I just bought a contract direct and before I bought that VGF contract, I'd considered adding on BWV points before the price increase. I wanted a small contract and could pay cash for it. And I've said over and over again that there are circumstances in which buying directly through Disney makes sense. So this isn't an "I hate direct" rant by any stretch.
Dean created a whole **** storm buy bringing up the fact I mentioned I finance everything witch I do an am not ashamed of it . It's not just the DVC contract we were talking about . The finance rates vary . But it's is quite clear that we have different opinions on what's a lot of money . It's ok .

BTW I don't mind being ganged up on . I was just stating I can see people shy away from posts going against the norm here cause of it , actually I had a few members here tell me that in pm , and in real life friends that won't come to this board cause of it . I acutaly like a good discusion . So I don't really mind . I do hate repeating myself .

I think some of the regulars I mix it up with at least get where I am coming from and realize I am not trying to argue but discuss.
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #84
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 45,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy DVC View Post
I definitely think that Disney needs to either
1.) Change the mouse keeping policy regarding towels and amentities because it does not match travel industry norms. I do a lot of business travel. I am an Ambassador Platinum member with Intercontinental hotels meaning I spend a lot of nights on the road. I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of nights I stay, usually a week at a time, housekeeping leaves me extra shampoo and conditioner every day, even if I don't need it. One hotel chain even has a commercial with a guest shoving so much shampoo and conditioner into a suitcase that it can't close. The commercial spokesperson says you deserve more rewards than just shampoo and conditioner. DVC is fighting that battle. I know people will say that DVC is not a hotel but a timeshare but many people see it as their lodging and want to compare it that way. Not that it is right but it is true.....
DVC is not a hotel. Hotels are hotels and timeshares are timeshares. We pay for everything with our annual fees. You pay for everything in your hotel stay with your nightly bill.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #85
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
Dean created a whole **** storm buy bringing up the fact I mentioned I finance everything witch I do an am not ashamed of it . It's not just the DVC contract we were talking about . The finance rates vary . But it's is quite clear that we have different opinions on what's a lot of money . It's ok .

BTW I don't mind being ganged up on . I was just stating I can see people shy away from posts going against the norm here cause of it , actually I had a few members here tell me that in pm , and in real life friends that won't come to this board cause of it . I acutaly like a good discusion . So I don't really mind . I do hate repeating myself .

I think some of the regulars I mix it up with at least get where I am coming from and realize I am not trying to argue but discuss.
To be fair, the jumping off point for this discussion was when you sarcastically referred to posters in this thread as "financial advisors" [sic].

With regards to what constitutes a lot of money, I don't think that's the crux of this argument. I think the issue at hand is your willingness to throw away money on interest and dismiss it as not a lot of money while at the same time you don't have the money to allocate to your DVC purchase without it depleting your savings. I think the discussion centers around the way in which money is viewed, and not necessarily its relative value.

Case in point...today while in a public restroom I saw a dollar bill on the floor. I did not pick it up because to me, the value of that dollar was not worth having to pick something up off of a dirty bathroom floor (I may have some germ issues). This is a relative argument. Someone who has little money would view this as a windfall. I have a relatively secure supply of dollar bills, so to me it was not worth the skeeve factor to pick it up. This is a spectrum that people can place themselves on when deciding whether or not they would pick up the dollar. No answer is right or wrong in the absolute sense, because the answer needs to take into consideration the net worth of the individual answering the question. What doesn't make sense is a person with no money choosing not to pick up the dollar because they deem it as not being worth it. That person has no money...this is money...it should be worth it.

Bring this back to our discussion. I don't know your financial state nor am I asking you to divulge it. But you have stated that although you could afford a direct DVC purchase, you chose to finance so that you could stay liquid. My inference, therefore, is that your supply of dollar bills is somewhat equal to the cost of a direct DVC purchase. If that's the case, then your willingness to pay between five and eight thousand dollars in interest over the course of your loan does not make sense to me, and it causes me to question how you view money. You can dismiss those interest charges as not being a lot of money, but I think you're wrong. You're either so filthy rich that it actually isn't a lot of money (in which case why are you financing DVC?) or you're not and it is a lot of money, and you're simply saying that it's not.

It was easy for me to dismiss that dollar bill on the floor because it is a relatively small percentage of my net worth (and it was gross). But the interest on a direct DVC purchase is a more sizable percentage, and it would be foolish of me to dismiss it.
__________________
ELMC is offline  
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #86
tlh
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 166

I think this thread jumped off the track awhile back. I enjoyed reading what people would have done differently and so on earlier in the thread....
tlh is offline  
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #87
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,735

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
Dean created a whole **** storm buy bringing up the fact I mentioned I finance everything witch I do an am not ashamed of it . It's not just the DVC contract we were talking about . The finance rates vary . But it's is quite clear that we have different opinions on what's a lot of money . It's ok .

BTW I don't mind being ganged up on . I was just stating I can see people shy away from posts going against the norm here cause of it , actually I had a few members here tell me that in pm , and in real life friends that won't come to this board cause of it . I actually like a good discusion . So I don't really mind . I do hate repeating myself .

I think some of the regulars I mix it up with at least get where I am coming from and realize I am not trying to argue but discuss.
I get hate notes all the time because I am anti Disney, but I also have some people thank me for telling the truth good or bad. Sometimes the truth isn't popular and people want to live in a fantasy world.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and the freedom to live their life the way that they want to. The issue is that some of us are trying to educate based on our DVC knowledge, I don't think that any of us intend to put anyone down for having a contrary opinion.

I try to present the facts and let the readers do what they want. We have purchased resale, we have purchased direct, we have financed, we have paid cash. Most of my advice is based on issues that we have had or mistakes that I made. Buying resale will always be less expensive but in some cases buying direct can make sense. Paying cash will save you some money but not everyone has the cash and they want their DVC now. They will pay a premium for doing so, but that's their business.

Buying a DVC interest can be overwhelming, even after doing your homework and reading the same answers to the same questions over and over, people will tell me things like, "now I understand what you meant about UY's", or "I thought that you just didn't like Disney but I have had so many problems since we bought that I now understand what you were talking about" and this one is common, "I wish that we had taken the time to buy at our favorite resort, booking there is a challenge".

I did a study using BCV 300 point contract for 30 years and what I expect to pay if kept full term with a WDW vacation every year. I think the total money spent on Disney and travel was $250,000 plus. That's a whole lot of money and many of our DVC friends have no Idea what they are getting into.

The DIS is a great place to share info and pass the time. We all have the same goal in mind, we sometimes just take different paths to get there.

Bill

__________________

disneynutz is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #88
carissa1970
DIS Veteran
 
carissa1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 853

Back to the question from the OP, if I could go back and do it again, I would get put on the wait list for the resort I really wanted. We were told there were only 2 resorts available, and we never looked any farther than that. Now I know that isn't true!

I also would have bought more points...
carissa1970 is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #89
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
To be fair, the jumping off point for this discussion was when you sarcastically referred to posters in this thread as "financial advisors" [sic].

With regards to what constitutes a lot of money, I don't think that's the crux of this argument. I think the issue at hand is your willingness to throw away money on interest and dismiss it as not a lot of money while at the same time you don't have the money to allocate to your DVC purchase without it depleting your savings. I think the discussion centers around the way in which money is viewed, and not necessarily its relative value.

Case in point...today while in a public restroom I saw a dollar bill on the floor. I did not pick it up because to me, the value of that dollar was not worth having to pick something up off of a dirty bathroom floor (I may have some germ issues). This is a relative argument. Someone who has little money would view this as a windfall. I have a relatively secure supply of dollar bills, so to me it was not worth the skeeve factor to pick it up. This is a spectrum that people can place themselves on when deciding whether or not they would pick up the dollar. No answer is right or wrong in the absolute sense, because the answer needs to take into consideration the net worth of the individual answering the question. What doesn't make sense is a person with no money choosing not to pick up the dollar because they deem it as not being worth it. That person has no money...this is money...it should be worth it.

Bring this back to our discussion. I don't know your financial state nor am I asking you to divulge it. But you have stated that although you could afford a direct DVC purchase, you chose to finance so that you could stay liquid. My inference, therefore, is that your supply of dollar bills is somewhat equal to the cost of a direct DVC purchase. If that's the case, then your willingness to pay between five and eight thousand dollars in interest over the course of your loan does not make sense to me, and it causes me to question how you view money. You can dismiss those interest charges as not being a lot of money, but I think you're wrong. You're either so filthy rich that it actually isn't a lot of money (in which case why are you financing DVC?) or you're not and it is a lot of money, and you're simply saying that it's not.

It was easy for me to dismiss that dollar bill on the floor because it is a relatively small percentage of my net worth (and it was gross). But the interest on a direct DVC purchase is a more sizable percentage, and it would be foolish of me to dismiss it.
I think I am somewhere in between your argument here . I really don't think it's a lot of money . But I am not filthy rich . I understand that it costs almost double the purchase price if I go full term . But I am not going to go full term , I know this cause I don't go full term on anything . So as I would feel and agree when it's said that financing for the full term is a bad idea I agree . I actually usually state I like financing if you plan to pay it off early .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #90
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
I get hate notes all the time because I am anti Disney, but I also have some people thank me for telling the truth good or bad. Sometimes the truth isn't popular and people want to live in a fantasy world.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and the freedom to live their life the way that they want to. The issue is that some of us are trying to educate based on our DVC knowledge, I don't think that any of us intend to put anyone down for having a contrary opinion.

I try to present the facts and let the readers do what they want. We have purchased resale, we have purchased direct, we have financed, we have paid cash. Most of my advice is based on issues that we have had or mistakes that I made. Buying resale will always be less expensive but in some cases buying direct can make sense. Paying cash will save you some money but not everyone has the cash and they want their DVC now. They will pay a premium for doing so, but that's their business.

Buying a DVC interest can be overwhelming, even after doing your homework and reading the same answers to the same questions over and over, people will tell me things like, "now I understand what you meant about UY's", or "I thought that you just didn't like Disney but I have had so many problems since we bought that I now understand what you were talking about" and this one is common, "I wish that we had taken the time to buy at our favorite resort, booking there is a challenge".

I did a study using BCV 300 point contract for 30 years and what I expect to pay if kept full term with a WDW vacation every year. I think the total money spent on Disney and travel was $250,000 plus. That's a whole lot of money and many of our DVC friends have no Idea what they are getting into.

The DIS is a great place to share info and pass the time. We all have the same goal in mind, we sometimes just take different paths to get there.

Bill

I am not saying just you but it seems that apparently a few people that got duped buy direct sales or bought with little info . Has created an environment where now anytime anyone buys you guys just assume they know nothing about and are complete idiots and need to have there hand held about everything .

Listen I think the advice is good advice . It just seems out of place to me . I think someone at this point in there life dosn't need to be told something's as simple as interest cost money ect . Maybe I think people are smarter then they are . But even still unless they ask I am not getting into it , I'll assume they have some common sense .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.