Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
emma212010
DIS Veteran

PreTrip Plans

PreTrip Plans

January 2013

Our story begins on a cold and blustery winter day. Step Dad received a call from a company out of Naples, Florida offering him a full time job. He had been looking at a few positions over the course of a few months, and this wasnít the first bite. He had to step away from an offer because he would be taking a huge pay cut. Things were slowing, and finally, the phone rang with wonderful news. He had an interview which they flew him down for. Mom went with him, and they both fell in love with the area. This company offered him the job with competitive pay and benefits, and he said yes! Very shortly after he got the call, Mom and I instantly Googled the distance from Disney, of course. It showed a long 3.5 hours, but thatís a lot closer than we were at the time! After he accepted the job, we started getting things organized for his move. We ordered a moving truck, got the dog ready for travel, packed up our boxes, and renovated some of the needy areas of our house to get it ready for selling. When I was home for Christmas, I helped Step Dad and Mom get everything ready for leaving. We painted our walls, took down our pictures, and emptied our rooms down to the necessities. DBF helped us load the moving van, and Step Dad and the dog rolled out of the driveway soon after.

February 2013

So, our house was on the market, but we werenít having any luck with buyers. We had an open house in February, but there wasnít a great turn out. Mom and Step Dad were getting frustrated and antsy, but I told them that I had a feeling about the spring being a good time for us. Also, since my Mom is a high school teacher, she had a week off for February break which she went down to Naples to visit Step Dad for the first time in the new apartment. She also visited WDW and purchased her AP!! She had a wonderful time, and loved the area.

March- April 2013

I spent most of these two months at school, and came home a couple times to help Mom with some moving tasks. Mom had another break during April which she also used to visit Step Dad. This trip, she took another day up to WDW and traded in her AP for the new RFID card.

May 2013

I came home in early May, and spent the whole month packing, working, and hanging out with Mom. We had a couple people interested in viewing the house, so we had to keep it spotless. We still had bad luck with buyers, but I wasnít concerned. We had a moving sale which turned out AWESOME!! It was freezing rain and I think it even snowed, but that didnít stop anyone from coming out and buying! Towards the end of the month, we had a couple more interested buyers who loved the house.

June 2013

The prospective buyers put in a low offer which we countered and negotiated, and blah blah and FINALLY we all agreed on a price and contract, and things started moving. June was the month that everything was happening, and it was getting stressful. We had our moving truck booked, and we were packing up our things and fixing things requested by the buyers. It was hard not having Step Dad there, but we managed, and it all worked out! Before we knew it, it was June 13th and we were packing up the moving van for Mom to leave the next day. That weekend was Fatherís Day, so I didnít leave until the 17th which was that Monday. I took the day off of work on Thursday, and DBF, Mom, and I packed up the moving truck and Momís Jeep (which we would be driving). It was a long day, but we did it, and everything just barely fit in that truck!

I had to work the next day, but Mom was off to FL because her last day was June 12th. I said goodbye for now, and went off to work where I day dreamed about FL.

Bye Mom!

That night was Troyís brotherís graduation, so thatís where we were that night.

This is just an example of how strange his family is! but I love them!

Me and the graduate!!

Then, Saturday, I woke up bright and early to go to a campground where my brother was celebrating his 14th birthday. That evening, my aunt had a Fatherís Day party, so we came back for that. I stayed over at my Dadís that night and Sunday I got up and packed for our trip!
Iím going to leave off here because we actually left Sunday night, so that is when our trip started!!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Cute pics!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

You did a good job packing the truck. Long ride to Florida, I hate that want to be right there.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Cute pics!
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
You did a good job packing the truck. Long ride to Florida, I hate that want to be right there.
Thanks!! It was a tight squeeze!! I know! It always takes soooo long!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I love that the house sold just in time, things happen for a reason!!!!!!!!!!!
Me too! It was just perfect!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #21
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Whew! Stressful times. I've never moved (besides to and from college) so I can't imagine what it's like to pack an entire house on top of actually making sure it sells. Yikes and yikes again! At least you got to stay busy while waiting for the trip!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
bostonminnie
Mouseketeer

We were in Disney the same week as you! Looking forward to your trip report

Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Hi there, Emma!!!

So glad y'all are back!! Can't wait to tag along once again....now back to reading.

Heather

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
ampc3
DIS Veteran

Hi there... just found this and the whole Naples thing caught my eye I used to live there and went to High school and college in Naples.. MY mom still lives in Bonita Springs so we still visit ALOT..

I love Naples ) Hope you enjoyed it (and of course everyone loves Disney)

lots of trips as a kid ...
Feb 20-22 2005 Asmov (left little one behind)
June 8-16 2008~POR (first whole family trip)
Sep 18-20 2009~POP~ mommy and DD6 bday trip
June 6-8 2010~POR~ GAD trip with Ds,YDd ,sister and nephew
May 2014 for the twins first trip.. first offsite WBC
Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu03 View Post
Well OF COURSE I'm following because although I know a lot about your trip, there's a ton I wasn't there for, so I CAN'T WAIT to hear more about!!!! AND I haven't seen the photos yet, so I'm REALLY excited to see Troy in WDW!!!!

Yay!!!!!!

you!!!

XX
Hi there, Nancy!

Was it totally weird not being at Disney when you knew Emma was there?

Ok...I see you have 2 weeks until an AKL stay!!! Love that resort!! Are y'all doing anything special or just the regular Disney stuff?

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #26
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Hi there, Nancy!

Was it totally weird not being at Disney when you knew Emma was there?

Ok...I see you have 2 weeks until an AKL stay!!! Love that resort!! Are y'all doing anything special or just the regular Disney stuff?
Hi Heather!!!! Great to "see" you again! LOL! YES, it was very weird! I REALLY had to refrain from constantly texting her and asking, "What are you doing now?" LOL!

Yup, Emma's coming back on the 20th (hooray!!!!), so of course we have to run up to WDW! And probably regular Disney stuff, but definitely hoping to have some time to enjoy the resort a bit. We're only there for 3 days though, Emma has to get back to work in Vermont (boo). But short trips are better than none, hahaha!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #27
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu03 View Post
Hi Heather!!!! Great to "see" you again! LOL! YES, it was very weird! I REALLY had to refrain from constantly texting her and asking, "What are you doing now?" LOL!

Yup, Emma's coming back on the 20th (hooray!!!!), so of course we have to run up to WDW! And probably regular Disney stuff, but definitely hoping to have some time to enjoy the resort a bit. We're only there for 3 days though, Emma has to get back to work in Vermont (boo). But short trips are better than none, hahaha!
How fun!!! Good for y'all! I know both of you are super excited....heck, I'm excited for you. Ok...not trying to sound like a know-it-all but there's some really cool stuff to actually do at the resort, and you probably already know this since you're a Disney geek like me The Cultural Safari is really neat...it's offered each night (or almost every night) in the Sunset Lounge - main lobby over in the left corner. Our family really enjoyed it. Also the night vision thing was pretty cool. One night we saw some animals...one night we didn't. But still cool. What view did you book? Can't wait to hear about this trip, too

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
Old 07-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #28
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Whew! Stressful times. I've never moved (besides to and from college) so I can't imagine what it's like to pack an entire house on top of actually making sure it sells. Yikes and yikes again! At least you got to stay busy while waiting for the trip!
Seriously!! It was crazy!! SO stressful, but I'm so glad it's over!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonminnie View Post
We were in Disney the same week as you! Looking forward to your trip report
Awesome!! Maybe we saw you!! How cool! Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Hi there, Emma!!!

So glad y'all are back!! Can't wait to tag along once again....now back to reading.

Heather
Yay!! Welcome back!! So glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampc3 View Post
Hi there... just found this and the whole Naples thing caught my eye I used to live there and went to High school and college in Naples.. MY mom still lives in Bonita Springs so we still visit ALOT..

I love Naples ) Hope you enjoyed it (and of course everyone loves Disney)
Welcome!! OMG That's awesome!! It's such a beautiful place!! We loved it!!

Quote:
How fun!!! Good for y'all! I know both of you are super excited....heck, I'm excited for you. Ok...not trying to sound like a know-it-all but there's some really cool stuff to actually do at the resort, and you probably already know this since you're a Disney geek like me The Cultural Safari is really neat...it's offered each night (or almost every night) in the Sunset Lounge - main lobby over in the left corner. Our family really enjoyed it. Also the night vision thing was pretty cool. One night we saw some animals...one night we didn't. But still cool. What view did you book? Can't wait to hear about this trip, too
I am so excited!! It's going to be a lot of fun!! No, please do tell us! We welcome any kind of info, especially about a place we haven't done yet!! That sounds so fun! We are just in a standard view room because we are only there for a couple nights. It would be so nice to stay for longer and have a night or two to do all of the activities they have! It seems like such a fun resort- I can't wait!!!!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Can We Go Now???

Can We Go Now???
June 16-17, 2013

It was Sunday, and I was running around trying to pack my suitcases because I had been so preoccupied with the moving tasks. I didnít end up packing very well because I was doing it the day of, but it worked! I woke up around 10am at my Dadís, got ready, and went over to Troyís house for lunch. At about 3pm Troy, Troyís brother, and I drove up to my Momís house. I got all of my stuff together for the trip, and charged up all of my electronics. I was so excited!! Troy and his brother ran to Walmart to pick some things up. Troy wanted to get Tootsie Pops for the drive and I think he got a pair of khaki shorts too. After I was all packed up, I loaded my luggage into the Jeep. I couldnít lift the cooler with our sodas and water in it, so I had to wait for Troy to get back. I peeled some hard boiled eggs, but I put them back in the fridge until we left, but I completely forgot about them when it was time to go! I was trying to keep busy because I was so excited and it seemed that the time was passing so slowly!! And Troy and his brother were taking forever at the store!! They finally got back, and his brother left. It was around dinner time, so we decided to order pizza from Dominos. We kept the leftover pizza slices in the box because we didnít have any big plastic baggies, and we put it in the back of the Jeep for a snack on our trip. This comes back to haunt me later on...

We were debating what time we should leave because of traffic and avoiding rush hour. We were also getting really anxious, so we decided to leave at 9 because we had to stop at my Dadís house to grab my sunglasses and Troyís house to grab his parentsí GPS. After our dinner of pizza and Coke Zero, we loaded up the car, made sure the house was locked, and pulled out of the driveway at 8:50pm. We stopped at Cumberland Farms (gas station) and got a Coke with lime for me and an iced coffee for Troy. We also grabbed Twizzlers, SlimJims, magazines, and ice for the cooler. We got on the interstate and started heading south to Williamstown where we hopped off and went to Troyís house to get the GPS, and then mine to get my sunglasses. We were finally on our way and heading way south!

Our GPS was programmed and we were ready!

It was 61 degrees at 9pm, so it wasnít too bad, but we were excited to get to warmer weather!

We traveled to Springfield on I-91 where we made our first restroom pitstop. It only took us a few minutes and we were back on the road. We traveled the rest of the way through VT and MA without stopping. We were getting a bit hungry, so we got off an exit in Enfield, CT to look for a McDonalds. OMG it was so sketch! It was the middle of the night, and nothing was open, so it was so dark. We had to turn around in this creepy parking lot and get back on 91. We got off at Suffield which was a really nice area, but it was still so dark and creepy! We turned around again and got back on the interstate. We finally got off at Windsor and there was a 24/7 McDonalds there, but the lady was really nasty and told us that it was closed! It was so weird. We got back on the interstate and drove to another exit where it said there was a Wendyís, so we got back off AGAIN and finally found it after driving on back roads forever! Thank God for GPS and smart phones! We ordered, and were told to pull up and wait for our food. So we waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited. Finally, this guy came out with our food, and was all creepy and calling Troy ďbroĒ and ďmanĒ and it was just weird! LOL! We decided to eat our food on the way, and after a large Coke, I had to pee instantly! We stopped in Fairfield, CT at a really yucky rest stop at about 2:30am, so I really wasnít expecting much in the first place. It was still gross, and there were so many people there just hanging out!! Um, hello?? Red flag!!! We hurried as fast as we could, and got back in the car ready for a nonstop trip until sunrise.

At about 5am, we stopped in NJ at a service station to use the restrooms and get a coffee from Starbucks. It was needed so badly! We were fading fast and this thing picked us right up!

I only fell asleep for 30 minutes the entire ride and that was because we were on an interstate in MD for 30 miles and didnít need any directions until we had to get off. It was so needed, as I was struggling so hard to stay awake! I felt so much better after my nap!! We kept on driving, and passed Baltimore around 6:30am. We were beginning to hit rush hour, so it was a bit more crowded than what we were used to, but it wasnít anything too scary! Troy did a wonderful job driving us down, and he wasnít nervous at all!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #30
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Perhaps on the next road trip, you avoid CT all together My sister lives up there in Glastonbury, so I'll have to ask her about Enfield.

Now for more...you left us hanging! Oh and did you realize you'll be at WDW in just a few short days

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7

Tags
autotrain, boyfriend, first trip, moving to florida

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: