Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Raisincain
Earning My Ears

How we went without the dining plan this year

Hello everyone,

Just back from WDW a few days ago; a wonderful 11-day hiatus from the real world!

I haven't written much on this board, but I have read here quite a good amount and believe in giving back, so I hope you can use my experience to your benefit.

We have a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids and been to WDW for the last 3 Junes. Each prior trip we have purchased the DDP.

We decided to do things differently this year; I went to my bank (Chase) and opened a new checking account, declining checks and instead opting for two of the currently-available Mickey Visa debit cards. After figuring that the DDP would cost us $2035.00 this year, I put $2500.00 in this account and we resolved to use it only for food items; no souvenirs, etc.

We ate differently this year, meaning we ate whatever we wanted rather than being restricted to entree\drink\dessert. Sometimes we had desserts (which were included on the DDP) and sometimes we had appetizers (which would have cost extra on the DDP). We did not curb our appetites to save money; we ordered what we wanted. We also ate where we wanted, and most of the money was spent at upscale eateries (Le Cellier, Brown Derby, etc).

Since our food at Disney was the only thing on this card, it was easy for us to see a detailed total of how and when we had spent our money.

In the end, we ended up spending $2,030.00 on food, $5.00 cheaper than the DDP. I was amazed at how close the two totals were.

There were great benefits to our family using this method, which we will use again in the future. One, we were able to include restaurants that weren't on the DDP. On the DDP if you want to eat elsewhere (ie Downtown Disney) there are a few places that don't take the plan. For example we had Brownie Sundays at Ghiardellis; this would not have been included on the DDP, but was in our budget. Another time we ate at Mythos in Universal Studios (as well as several snack purchases at US) which would not have been covered on DDP. Second, as mentioned above, it gave us the ability to branch out and eat exactly what we wanted instead of just entree\drink\dessert. Trying some of the appetizers was a real treat that I wouldn't have done on the DDP, since we already had dessert coming and appetizers would have cost extra and probably just would have been too much food.

Let me be clear, I am NOT anti-DDP; if DDP works for you and yours then please continue to use it. It has a great appeal and represents great value to those who love it. But if you are undecided as to whether or not to take this plan, I hope my experience can serve as one more piece of information that may be beneficial to you. Whether you choose the DDP or not, you are in for some great dining experiences!
Raisincain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisincain View Post
We ate differently this year, meaning we ate whatever we wanted rather than being restricted to entree\drink\dessert.

Sometimes we had desserts (which were included on the DDP) and sometimes we had appetizers (which would have cost extra on the DDP). We did not curb our appetites to save money; we ordered what we wanted.

we ended up spending $2,030.00 on food, $5.00 cheaper than the DDP.

On the DDP if you want to eat elsewhere there are a few places that don't take the plan.

ability to branch out and eat exactly what we wanted instead of just entree\drink\dessert

Trying some of the appetizers was a real treat that I wouldn't have done on the DDP, since we already had dessert coming and appetizers would have cost extra and probably just would have been too much food.

Thanks for the info-glad the trip was great.

Last edited by bdklein; 07-01-2013 at 01:34 PM.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing. Amazing that the total was so close. And if you figure out the food at Universal you actually saved more than $5. Good job!

I too am not anti-DDP, as long as I don't have to pay for it. I've used it 9 times now and only paid for it the first time back in Jan. 2005, when if first started. It was really a no brainer then (even paying for it) since it inc. appetizers and tip. It was easy to convince my DM to get it.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

Was this for your food only? That is, did you pay your tips with another method?
I think it's a great plan and will see if we can implement it in our future plans.

2010 Coronado Springs2014 Windsor Hills2015 TBA
MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Raisincain
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOpGrad2013 View Post
Was this for your food only? That is, did you pay your tips with another method?
I think it's a great plan and will see if we can implement it in our future plans.
MO, great question and a tremendous oversight on my behalf; thanks for asking. My total expenditures included everything; food, tax & tip. If you include the food we ate at Universal (not on DDP) & tips, it was probably a savings of another $400.00 total. I figure on DDP I probably would have tipped out another $350.00 or so all totalled (in addition to the $2035 the DDP would have cost), which is why your question is so relevant. Thanks again for bringing this up.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
MO, great question and a tremendous oversight on my behalf; thanks for asking. My total expenditures included everything; food, tax & tip.
So then you actually saved considerably more than $5 since tips aren't included in your DDP quote of $2,035. WOW! I'm heading to WDW later this month and this is my first trip w/o the dining plan since 2002 (pre DDP plus we stayed offsite that trip). My plan is to get Disney gift cards to use solely for food and see how that shakes out. Gotta say that I was getting nervous so I'm really glad to see your post on your experience. Thank you so much for sharing!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

OP this is similiar to what we did about 2 trips ago and will do again in a few weeks. For us, the savings not using a plan is just too overwhelming to make a dining plan worth it to us. I love the flexibility of just paying for what we want where and when we want it. I have never looked back and wanted a DDP again. I know for some that is what works, but for us not so much. I am glad Disney offeres so many choices for people.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Disney2013Girl
Mouseketeer

We had every plan to do something similar this year being as H and I are major grazers. We would rather have tapas/apps at various places around town than settle on one meal for the whole night. We were sold on setting aside X amount of money into an account and then just spending from that.

But when I got the FD Pin, the cost to upgrade from QSDP to DP was only about 25 bucks different than what we KNEW we'd pay full OOP for (CM, Ohana, Boma). So for the cost of three meals, we got a CS, Snack and 4 more TS meals.

Well, this could be interesting (An October 2013 PTR)

DS: 11/2010
Married to my Leading Man since 10/2006
Belated DL Honeymoon 5/2008
First Family trip to WDW 10/2013
Disney2013Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I'm also curious if you used that $2500 account to pay for all 3 meals of the day or did you just stick to 2 meals a day like what you would have gotten on the DDP?

Because if you actually got 3 meals a day out of that money you actually saved a lot more than that by getting 3 meals for what the DDP would have cost only giving you 2. Or did you eat breakfast in your room?
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Raisincain
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
I'm also curious if you used that $2500 account to pay for all 3 meals of the day or did you just stick to 2 meals a day like what you would have gotten on the DDP?

Because if you actually got 3 meals a day out of that money you actually saved a lot more than that by getting 3 meals for what the DDP would have cost only giving you 2. Or did you eat breakfast in your room?
Good question. We usually get an early start, so we take along a few boxes of cereal bars for the morning. My total expense ($2,030.00) included all meals and snacks, but did not include breakfast since we're not big breakfast eaters.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran

What a smart way to plan and track your dining. I may have to try that next time aound. Do you get anything extra with the Chase Mickey card?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Raisincain
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneytwinsmom View Post
What a smart way to plan and track your dining. I may have to try that next time aound. Do you get anything extra with the Chase Mickey card?
You know, we had the AP and found that both it and the Visa card had similar benefits (at least in part). Our kids are past the character ages, but one benefit the Visa advertises is their own character meeting spot exclusively for Chase Visa holders. We didn't use it so I can't report, but worth investigating for those who might be interested.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
....We decided to do things differently this year; I went to my bank (Chase) and opened a new checking account, declining checks and instead opting for two of the currently-available Mickey Visa debit cards. After figuring that the DDP would cost us $2035.00 this year, I put $2500.00 in this account and we resolved to use it only for food items; no souvenirs, etc.
This is a wonderful idea that we are going to consider for future trips . We did the DDP when our son was still not old enough to pay and our daughter was considered a "child". Once our daughter was considered "adult", but still ate like what she is, a "child" and our son also had to pay (even though he can't eat their food because he is a special needs child) it really was not worth the money. This sounds great and we will try it out. Thanks for your input.

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Raisincain
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by davale4 View Post
This is a wonderful idea that we are going to consider for future trips . We did the DDP when our son was still not old enough to pay and our daughter was considered a "child". Once our daughter was considered "adult", but still ate like what she is, a "child" and our son also had to pay (even though he can't eat their food because he is a special needs child) it really was not worth the money. This sounds great and we will try it out. Thanks for your input.
Thanks for your input. I heartily agree that the DDP calling a child an adult at age 10 is absurd. Our kids are 9 & 10, so both will be "adults" next year; even more incentive not to go with DDP.

Have a great trip next month, lucky!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

I think it was brilliant how you went about this. Do you mind sharing where you ate? It sounds like you also hit some great spots (Le Cellier, HBD, etc.).

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: