Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #91
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Rails to trails are paths that used to be for trolley lines. There is a big push to reclaim these paths for green space.

I'm excited but nervous. DS17 ran an 11.6 mile race yesterday and I started second guessing myself when I saw all the runners coming in. It was not a good day but I went out and did my 3 miles anyway.
Oh, so rails to trails sound similar to the Highline in Manhattan, except the Highline is not intended to be a running trail. It's most definitely a park to linger and enjoy.

I am also second guessing myself. I am barely getting any training in. It's entirely too hot. I might try at something like 4 am one of these days, but I'm really not a morning person.

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
Where'sPiglet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #92
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sPiglet? View Post
Oh, so rails to trails sound similar to the Highline in Manhattan, except the Highline is not intended to be a running trail. It's most definitely a park to linger and enjoy.

I am also second guessing myself. I am barely getting any training in. It's entirely too hot. I might try at something like 4 am one of these days, but I'm really not a morning person.
I'm not a morning person either, but DS has to be at cross country practice at 6am so I'm reluctantly becoming a morning person, I look at it as good mental training for the race since we have to be up ridiculously early that day.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #93
laura428
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookwood View Post

Laura,
(another Hoosier here) Are you doing the Indy Color me Rad in Oct? We did that last year (2 of my DD's live in Indy) we're planning on Color me Rad in Ft. Wayne 8/24 this year (closer to home at least for me LOL) Enjoy the race! So funny if everything works out we'll be in WDW Oct -20-26 too! Are you doing the race or just vacationing?
Hey Indiana!

No, I'm not doing the Color Me Rad in Indy, just the Color Run in South Bend (closer for me). How funny that you'll be in WDW at the same time! Even crazier is that, while on a walk a few days ago, one of my neighbors stopped me to ask if I was going to be there at that time. When I asked how he knew, he mentioned that he's on the DIS boards, too, and recognized my picture and saw I was from Granger - literally right down the street! Oh, and they're going to the same MNSSHP on the 24th, too. Such a small world! Our October trip is a total vacation for us, pure enjoyment.

Maybe we'll see you there!
2014 Princess Half Marathon
laura428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #94
laura428
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not a morning person either, but DS has to be at cross country practice at 6am so I'm reluctantly becoming a morning person, I look at it as good mental training for the race since we have to be up ridiculously early that day.
I don't do nearly as well on my morning runs, either, but I've started giving it a shot for two reasons: 1) I'm finding less and less time in the evenings because of work responsibilities, and 2) I figure I'd better get used to it if I'm going to be ok with a 5:30am start!

My times for my morning runs don't even come close to my evening runs at this point, but I'm hoping I catch up soon. Do you guys eat anything before you hit the road? I make a big protein shake for breakfast every morning, but don't really have time to do it if I'm running because I barely have enough time to get back, shower, and get to work, so I just make it when I get back. I'd love to hear what you do, though, especially if it helps to make my mornings better.
2014 Princess Half Marathon
laura428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #95
Where'sPiglet?

Well, I've been taking the dog for a mile walk at 5am, but that's not a training run. I haven't been eating anything before those.

When I do longer runs, I often eat a peanut butter sandwich and drink some coffee. I'd have to do my longer runs on the weekends; I teach and will need to leave for work about 6:30.

My afternoon walks with the dog have been miserable lately. Someone posted a picture of their weather app and the heat index was 114. I can barely make it around the block in those temps. It's disgusting. I'd like to go to the park once it gets dark and cools off to say, 92, but I don't want to start a 6 mile run/walk/jog at sundown - it's not safe.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #96
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Hey all! Just wanted to chime in and say morning runs DO get better with time. After a while, it becomes a routine and isn't so bad after all. Jen is usually a morning person and even she wasn't digging our 6AM start times (the alarm clock goes off at 5!) but she's adjusting now. It's the perfect time to beat the heat, start the day off with a boost of energy and a sense of accomplishment. We're located just outside of Orlando and the heat here is atrocious. I went out for a noon solo run one day and came home with symptoms of heat exhaustion. I'll never do that again!

On a random note, does anyone have advice for calf cramping? Sometimes my legs threaten to charley horse on me and I've found if I keep running (or even speed up a bit) the cramp will go away. I'm not sure if this is a good idea but it surely feels better to keep moving. When I slow down for a short walk, they throw a fit. I've been told to make sure I'm well hydrated but I can't stand loading up on water so early in the morning. I stay well hydrated on a daily basis. Is hydration really the problem? Or should I fine tune my stretching? I rarely have any leg soreness after. Any thoughts?

I have another question but it's totally embarrassing so I might stick to Google for some feedback. LOL!
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #97
Where'sPiglet?

Try increasing your potassium intake for the leg cramping. I've gotten charley horses before and that's one thing I've found to help.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #98
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Try increasing your potassium intake for the leg cramping. I've gotten charley horses before and that's one thing I've found to help.
Thanks! I have a potassium and magnesium supplement on hand. I'll add that back into my vitamin regimen. I was on a banana kick for a little while there but I found they caused my sugar cravings to spiral out of control again.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #99
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

I did the Sunburst half in South Bend (ended in Notre Dame Stadium) on June 1st. DD was supposed to run the half while her DH ran is first full, but she got injured and since I'd just done Princess 2013, the Indy 500 Mini in May, I ran it in her name. (she wanted to donate her medal to the children's hospital so someone had to run to get the medal.) It was great fun to run into ND stadium, even though I'm more of a Hoosier fan LOL.

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #100
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredbyMadi View Post
Hey all! Just wanted to chime in and say morning runs DO get better with time. After a while, it becomes a routine and isn't so bad after all. Jen is usually a morning person and even she wasn't digging our 6AM start times (the alarm clock goes off at 5!) but she's adjusting now. It's the perfect time to beat the heat, start the day off with a boost of energy and a sense of accomplishment. We're located just outside of Orlando and the heat here is atrocious. I went out for a noon solo run one day and came home with symptoms of heat exhaustion. I'll never do that again!

On a random note, does anyone have advice for calf cramping? Sometimes my legs threaten to charley horse on me and I've found if I keep running (or even speed up a bit) the cramp will go away. I'm not sure if this is a good idea but it surely feels better to keep moving. When I slow down for a short walk, they throw a fit. I've been told to make sure I'm well hydrated but I can't stand loading up on water so early in the morning. I stay well hydrated on a daily basis. Is hydration really the problem? Or should I fine tune my stretching? I rarely have any leg soreness after. Any thoughts?

I have another question but it's totally embarrassing so I might stick to Google for some feedback. LOL!
Cramps are most likely a hydration issue, but not necessarily a liquid issue, could be an electrolyte imbalance (my problem in sweaty weather is potassium) if you run with water try a sports drink or try taking a bottle of either with you if you haven't. I find on summer morning by 4 miles my hands swell if I don't have have electrolytes. It might be something to try, no guarantees.

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #101
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookwood View Post
Cramps are most likely a hydration issue, but not necessarily a liquid issue, could be an electrolyte imbalance (my problem in sweaty weather is potassium) if you run with water try a sports drink or try taking a bottle of either with you if you haven't. I find on summer morning by 4 miles my hands swell if I don't have have electrolytes. It might be something to try, no guarantees.
Thank you for your reply, it helped to see it in the perspective of hydration but not necessarily liquid issues. Excellent point. I went out this morning and did have some burning and threats of cramping. I'm trying the potassium supplements and will bring a sports drink in my bottle and give that a try. They're not enough to stop me but I do find I slow a lot to compensate for fear of an actual cramp.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #102
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura428 View Post
I don't do nearly as well on my morning runs, either, but I've started giving it a shot for two reasons: 1) I'm finding less and less time in the evenings because of work responsibilities, and 2) I figure I'd better get used to it if I'm going to be ok with a 5:30am start!

My times for my morning runs don't even come close to my evening runs at this point, but I'm hoping I catch up soon. Do you guys eat anything before you hit the road? I make a big protein shake for breakfast every morning, but don't really have time to do it if I'm running because I barely have enough time to get back, shower, and get to work, so I just make it when I get back. I'd love to hear what you do, though, especially if it helps to make my mornings better.
I typically eat 2 packets of raisin and spice oatmeal. It's 300 calories and just enough sugar to get me moving. It seems to be the right amount of food for me and it's not heavy on my stomach.

I did 4 miles with DS17 last night. I have reverted back to C25K from Galloway because I want to run more and walk less. I did week 1, day 2 x 2.
I was really happy with my progress, despite having tummy issues (never, ever eating almonds again). I managed a 12:15 mile the first 3 miles. I did extra walking the last mile so that brought my overall pace down to 14:11, but still 12 mm, best ever! I even felt like I could continue but DS was done with his run and it was getting dark so we headed home. I'm trying to be patient with my training so I don't get an injury but I really want to know how far I can push myself. It has been a true test of patience.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #103
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I typically eat 2 packets of raisin and spice oatmeal. It's 300 calories and just enough sugar to get me moving. It seems to be the right amount of food for me and it's not heavy on my stomach.

I did 4 miles with DS17 last night. I have reverted back to C25K from Galloway because I want to run more and walk less. I did week 1, day 2 x 2.
I was really happy with my progress, despite having tummy issues (never, ever eating almonds again). I managed a 12:15 mile the first 3 miles. I did extra walking the last mile so that brought my overall pace down to 14:11, but still 12 mm, best ever! I even felt like I could continue but DS was done with his run and it was getting dark so we headed home. I'm trying to be patient with my training so I don't get an injury but I really want to know how far I can push myself. It has been a true test of patience.
Congrats on your 12 mm! That's fantastic!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #104
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredbyMadi View Post

Congrats on your 12 mm! That's fantastic!
12 mm, in my dreams!! Congrats!
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #105
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Just checking in to share the great news with everyone... As of two weeks ago, I've lost 18 pounds. By now I'm sure I'm down a few more but I'm working on establishing a healthy relationship with my scale. Much thanks to my lifestyle change with food and my newfound love for running, I am feeling better and better with each passing day.

What prompted this post? Well, I'm currently wearing a pair of jeans I haven't worn in a long, long time and by golly they're a bit big now. Tonight, my husband and I are going out to dinner to celebrate our 5th anniversary and I wanted to dress up a bit. I feel beautiful!

Signing up for the PHM has been such a positive thing for me in more ways than one. Just wanted to share this accomplishment with you all as you've each been supportive of me from the start of this thread.

And on a running-relate note, Jen and I will tackle our first 20 minute run tomorrow. We've already decided we'll give it our best shot but if we need a walking break we will certainly stop and take one.

Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: