Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #76
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!
 
BernardandMissBianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blink and ya miss it, CT
Posts: 23,302
DISboards Moderator

Do you have any rails to trails paths or air line trails? We have a few. We also have an out and back path that's at the end of a small airport and around a reservoir.
I haven't done any of those yet though because I don't want to go alone.
__________________
~BuffyDHDS18DS13DS12DD8
Focus your attention.
BernardandMissBianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #77
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer
 
InspiredbyMadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura428 View Post
I can't imagine taking my kids with me when they were that young! DD7 likes to go with me now, but when I plan on logging serious mileage at a decent speed, I try to go it alone so that neither of us gets frustrated.

Glad to hear that your first week went well! Training has been going well for me, and I've recruited one of my best friends to come with me. Yippee!!
Haha! Kids are currently on hold from attending any further training sessions. In hindsight, I still haven't figured out what we were thinking. LOL!

I'm so happy to hear your training is going well and so very excited for you!
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #78
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer
 
InspiredbyMadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sPiglet? View Post
The loop I used to train for the 2010 Princess is only 0.5 miles around and completely flat. It was soooooo dull, especially towards the end of the training when I did my 10 mile run. 20 laps in one morning.

The only thing more dull is a treadmill facing the wall.

I'm looking for some other parks to try this time around to mix it up a bit. One park has a walking path that I think is 0.25 or so around. I think I just might lose my mind at that one. Another has a loop of 2.0 miles and another has a loop of I think 1.75 or so.

And as dull as the other park is, I will miss the familiarity of it. Another good thing is that I can pretty much see the entire park at one time, so it's easy to be aware of my surroundings.

I don't really have anyone to run with right now either.
LOL @ your comment on a treadmill facing the wall. You are so right, it's awful! My treadmill has been quite lonely sitting in the corner of my dining room. Now that my spare bedroom is vacant, it's now my office/workout room and hopefully my treadmill will get more use. I refused to place it in a corner or facing a wall. A treadmill in the corner is like being in time-out.
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #79
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer
 
InspiredbyMadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 99

Boy oh boy, has my morning been an eventful one! Jen and I met up for our first day of Week 2 at 6AM this morning. Our run/walk/run was smooth and enjoyable. We ran with the wind for the first mile and against it on the second. The wind in our face on the return was wonderful! We pushed ourselves a bit more today and felt great after. Yay right?

No sooner did we finish our high five, I remembered my trunk was set to valet mode and I hadn't reversed that setting prior to tossing my keys into it this morning. Oh nooo! My key fob and interior trunk release were useless.

Jen headed home to get ready for work while I stayed back to try to access my trunk through the folding rear seat. I skinned a knuckle trying to feel for the lever to release the seat and it was nowhere to be found. A quick peek at the owner's manual and I learned the lever is IN the trunk! Real frustration started to set in but I maintained my composure. Heck, I just had a great run!

Jen picked me up on her way to work so I could go home to find my spare. Apparently I hide important things too well because it took me an hour, a few tears, and several outrageous locksmith quotes later to finally remember where I put my spare key. All is well now, right?

My mother-in-law brought me back to my car where I discovered my spare works for the ignition but NOT the trunk. I called my mechanic to ask about the key (because I had never heard of such a thing) and he recommended a locksmith close by. My spare is actually a valet key. Valet shmal-aye! By now, I'm sick of hearing the word "valet".

The locksmith was amazing and adorable in more ways than one. From the moment I walked into his shop, I knew he'd be the one to save my day. Imagine an elderly man tinkering in a haven of thousands of keys. He was sitting on his vintage stool working on something and I swear he was my knight in shining armor. After asking some questions and looking into the keys used for my car, he said he was perplexed but would experiment around. Thankfully he got it right on the first experiment!

I immediately located and de-activated the valet setting inside the trunk, retrieved my keys and wallet, and pranced into the man's shop to pay him for my new key.

Lessons learned today:

Never, ever toss your keys and wallet into your trunk without first checking your settings. The valet setting can be good OR bad!

Check your spare key. Do you have a valet key or a legit-does-all spare key?

Research runner's belts...

And finally, despite trials and tribulations, push forward and RUN ON!

Last edited by InspiredbyMadi; 07-15-2013 at 11:12 AM.
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #80
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer
 
InspiredbyMadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 99

Just popping in, hoping everyone is coming along well!

Jen & I had a successful run/walk/run this morning. Uneventful yet successful which is just perfect. LOL!

Now the Royal Family 5k is tempting me...
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #81
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!
 
BernardandMissBianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blink and ya miss it, CT
Posts: 23,302
DISboards Moderator

It's been quiet, how is everyone doing?

I did 6 miles Tuesday in 1:32:00
Today I did 4 miles in 57 minutes, messing with speeds and interval times.
Finally settled in with 30 second intervals at 6.2/3 mph.
I'm not a fan of the 30 seconds though, my brain couldn't keep up so I will stick with 1/1 for now, although I would really like to run more. Problem is, when I run more, I slow way down in my pacing.
__________________
~BuffyDHDS18DS13DS12DD8
Focus your attention.
BernardandMissBianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #82
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing
 
Where'sPiglet?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 5,222

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Do you have any rails to trails paths or air line trails? We have a few. We also have an out and back path that's at the end of a small airport and around a reservoir.
I haven't done any of those yet though because I don't want to go alone.
I don't know what those paths are, but I don't think we have them. There are some walking/jogging trails in the parks.

Sorry, I've been quiet because I just moved and then went to New York City.

Funny thing happened in JFK - I was walking on the skybridge from the Airtrain to T5 and I was walking on the regular floor. I realized I was keeping pace with the guy next to me - and he was on the moving walkway. Then I realized - he was walking on the moving walkway! I thought I was running late to my flight, then got to the kiosk to see it was delayed. Turns out we left over 3 hours late.

Now I'll just pretend I'm running late to a flight while I train. Which, incidentally, I've been failing miserably at following the training schedule. I did walk a lot more than normal while in NYC, so that helps some at least. I think?
__________________
10/92 Yacht Club ~*~ 11/96 Disney Institute ~*~ 12/00 Yacht Club ~*~ 6/05 Beach Club ~*~ 8/06 Shades of Green
8/07 Caribbean Beach ~*~ 10/07 Coronado Springs ~*~ 12/08 French Quarter
~*~ 3/10 All Star Sports ~*~ 4/12 Riverside ~*~ 2/14 Riverside

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
Where'sPiglet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #83
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer
 
InspiredbyMadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 99

Hey everyone! Just received a notice that this thread has some new activity. Yay! Glad to read everyone is well on their way with preparing for their run(s).

Things are great on my end. The first two weeks of C25K were pretty tough -- it felt like the devil was trying to get us. Between weather issues, schedule issues, food poisoning, trial and error while running with kids, Jen's sinus infection and knee injury, and me locking my keys in my trunk one morning...we're back on track and kicking butt!

We just finished Week 4 of C25K this morning. I had no idea just how much this would change my life -- I literally look forward to my running days (well, run/walk/run) and happily wake up at 5AM on my days off to meet Jen for our runs.

In Week 1, we averaged a 20 minute mile. Total non-runners here... And now, we're down to 14 minutes. I'm so proud!

Oh, and we're eyeing the Orlando Color Run as our first 5K scheduled next month. That should be fun!
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #84
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!
 
BernardandMissBianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blink and ya miss it, CT
Posts: 23,302
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredbyMadi View Post
Hey everyone! Just received a notice that this thread has some new activity. Yay! Glad to read everyone is well on their way with preparing for their run(s).

Things are great on my end. The first two weeks of C25K were pretty tough -- it felt like the devil was trying to get us. Between weather issues, schedule issues, food poisoning, trial and error while running with kids, Jen's sinus infection and knee injury, and me locking my keys in my trunk one morning...we're back on track and kicking butt!

We just finished Week 4 of C25K this morning. I had no idea just how much this would change my life -- I literally look forward to my running days (well, run/walk/run) and happily wake up at 5AM on my days off to meet Jen for our runs.

In Week 1, we averaged a 20 minute mile. Total non-runners here... And now, we're down to 14 minutes. I'm so proud!

Oh, and we're eyeing the Orlando Color Run as our first 5K scheduled next month. That should be fun!
Awesome work!! You guys are doing great!

200 days til the 5K! I'm so excited!

I did 3 miles around the campground last night, time was painfully slow though but I had DD with me for the first loop and she complained the whole way, that from the girl who insists on running the whole 5K in February.
Tonight the boys are going to join me. Maybe I can get DD to come too and the boys can help distract her.
__________________
~BuffyDHDS18DS13DS12DD8
Focus your attention.
BernardandMissBianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #85
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer
 
InspiredbyMadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Awesome work!! You guys are doing great!

200 days til the 5K! I'm so excited!

I did 3 miles around the campground last night, time was painfully slow though but I had DD with me for the first loop and she complained the whole way, that from the girl who insists on running the whole 5K in February.
Tonight the boys are going to join me. Maybe I can get DD to come too and the boys can help distract her.
I can empathize with you on having DD complain the whole way. LOL! I experienced that a few weeks ago. She's begging to come out with me again soon -- I'm hoping she'll cooperate this time. I did sign her up for the 200m dash so my little one does need to get some practice.

I'm merrily counting down the days until February. Can you believe I'm a tad more excited for PHM weekend than I am for my 8-day cruise in November? I fully intend on keeping up with my Galloway plan whilst sailing the seas!
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #86
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!
 
BernardandMissBianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blink and ya miss it, CT
Posts: 23,302
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sPiglet? View Post
I don't know what those paths are, but I don't think we have them. There are some walking/jogging trails in the parks.
Rails to trails are paths that used to be for trolley lines. There is a big push to reclaim these paths for green space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredbyMadi View Post
I'm merrily counting down the days until February. Can you believe I'm a tad more excited for PHM weekend than I am for my 8-day cruise in November? I fully intend on keeping up with my Galloway plan whilst sailing the seas!
I'm excited but nervous. DS17 ran an 11.6 mile race yesterday and I started second guessing myself when I saw all the runners coming in. It was not a good day but I went out and did my 3 miles anyway.
__________________
~BuffyDHDS18DS13DS12DD8
Focus your attention.
BernardandMissBianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #87
laura428
DIS Veteran
 
laura428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Granger, IN
Posts: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredbyMadi View Post

I can empathize with you on having DD complain the whole way. LOL! I experienced that a few weeks ago. She's begging to come out with me again soon -- I'm hoping she'll cooperate this time. I did sign her up for the 200m dash so my little one does need to get some practice.

I'm merrily counting down the days until February. Can you believe I'm a tad more excited for PHM weekend than I am for my 8-day cruise in November? I fully intend on keeping up with my Galloway plan whilst sailing the seas!
Just checking in!

Love that you and Jen are overcoming your early frustrations. Sounds like you guys are going great!! And I totally get the excitement of PHM over your cruise. We're headed down for a wonderful eight days at BC for Food & Wine and MNSSHP, but my focus is totally on PHM. Don't get me wrong - cannot WAIT for October 23rd to get here. But there's something about setting a goal like this for yourself and the anticipation of completing it. Not to mention the great girls' weekend I'll have with one of my best friends, and all of the new friends I'll be making.

Question for you, though - how will you run on the cruise? I take it there's a track on the ship?
__________________
Me: DH: DS(9): DD(7):
Sept '09 ~ Sheraton Vistana Resort / Feb '10 ~ Coronado Springs Resort / Nov '10 ~ Port Orleans Riverside / Apr '11 ~ Last minute Disneyland day
Jan '12 ~ Port Orleans Riverside / Jun '12 ~ Last minute WDW weekend (off-site) / Polynesian ~ Oct '12 / Beach Club ~ Oct '13 / Dec '14 ~ Caribbean Beach
2014 Princess Half Marathon
laura428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #88
laura428
DIS Veteran
 
laura428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Granger, IN
Posts: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Rails to trails are paths that used to be for trolley lines. There is a big push to reclaim these paths for green space.

I'm excited but nervous. DS17 ran an 11.6 mile race yesterday and I started second guessing myself when I saw all the runners coming in. It was not a good day but I went out and did my 3 miles anyway.
Don't second guess yourself. I've had some rotten runs the last little while, and it started to knock my confidence, and even my commitment a little. But then after missing a few days, I made myself go and had one of my best runs. And about all of the runners you saw - one of the reasons I decided on a RunDisney race is that it's about having a good time. I'm signed up for the Color Run 5k in October, but only for fun here, too. DD7 and DS9 will be doing it with me, along with my DN11 and DN13, and two girlfriends with their DDs. We have no plans to break any records - just to be as colorful and smiley as possible by the finish line. My goal for PHM is to get my time down enough so that I can stop to see a few characters, slow myself and rest when needed, and just enjoy it. I think if you keep your focus on your overall enjoyment, it'll make your training that much easier.
__________________
Me: DH: DS(9): DD(7):
Sept '09 ~ Sheraton Vistana Resort / Feb '10 ~ Coronado Springs Resort / Nov '10 ~ Port Orleans Riverside / Apr '11 ~ Last minute Disneyland day
Jan '12 ~ Port Orleans Riverside / Jun '12 ~ Last minute WDW weekend (off-site) / Polynesian ~ Oct '12 / Beach Club ~ Oct '13 / Dec '14 ~ Caribbean Beach
2014 Princess Half Marathon
laura428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #89
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer
 
InspiredbyMadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura428 View Post
Just checking in!

Love that you and Jen are overcoming your early frustrations. Sounds like you guys are going great!! And I totally get the excitement of PHM over your cruise. We're headed down for a wonderful eight days at BC for Food & Wine and MNSSHP, but my focus is totally on PHM. Don't get me wrong - cannot WAIT for October 23rd to get here. But there's something about setting a goal like this for yourself and the anticipation of completing it. Not to mention the great girls' weekend I'll have with one of my best friends, and all of the new friends I'll be making.

Question for you, though - how will you run on the cruise? I take it there's a track on the ship?
Hey there! Thank you for the encouragement! Tomorrow is Day 1 of Week 5 (C25K) and I'm excited to get outside and conquer it. You're so right -- there is something extra special about setting this big goal and along the way, the mind, body, and soul are affected in an incredibly positive way. I was telling a co-worker today about how this has truly been life changing for me. I still get the googly-eyed-raised-eyebrow look when I talk passionately about training for the half but I don't care...this is huge for us! As far as running on the ship goes, there is a running track on one of the higher (or is it highest?) decks as well as a gym. I have yet to run on the treadmill because I love outdoor running so much so I think I'll hit the track unless it's too windy out. I'll definitely head out early so I don't miss out on any family time later in the day. I'm excited to stay committed despite being at sea!
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #90
Bookwood
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura428 View Post
Just checking in!

Love that you and Jen are overcoming your early frustrations. Sounds like you guys are going great!! And I totally get the excitement of PHM over your cruise. We're headed down for a wonderful eight days at BC for Food & Wine and MNSSHP, but my focus is totally on PHM. Don't get me wrong - cannot WAIT for October 23rd to get here. But there's something about setting a goal like this for yourself and the anticipation of completing it. Not to mention the great girls' weekend I'll have with one of my best friends, and all of the new friends I'll be making.

Question for you, though - how will you run on the cruise? I take it there's a track on the ship?
Laura,
(another Hoosier here) Are you doing the Indy Color me Rad in Oct? We did that last year (2 of my DD's live in Indy) we're planning on Color me Rad in Ft. Wayne 8/24 this year (closer to home at least for me LOL) Enjoy the race! So funny if everything works out we'll be in WDW Oct -20-26 too! Are you doing the race or just vacationing?
__________________
Pam and DH Mike Cruising the Canal- 01/2011

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.