Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #31
TigerTown
runDisney addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredbyMadi View Post
Where'sPiglet?, thanks for your input! You raise a very good point -- one of the things that draws me to Galloway is his walk/run/walk plan. Given the fact that I do have some weight to shed, I need to be cautious in my approach to avoid injury. I have a good week to prepare and my Galloway book might tip me off to a good plan as well. On another note, I can't wait to see your photos!
First off congratulations on signing up for the race! The most stressful part is over and now the fun begins.

The C25K plan works for some and doesn’t really work for others. I personally didn't like it because I don't plan on running 3.1 Miles without a walk break any time soon. This, however, is a personal decision and varies by individual. When I first started I was really out of shape so I just started with a slow 10/50 (10 sec Run/50sec walk) pace for a mile. After a few weeks I was able to draw that same pace out for 3 miles. Once I could do that I started to play around with different intervals to see what worked until the Galloway plan started. The good thing about starting your training early is that you have time to figure out what works for you and what doesn’t.

If I can give you one piece of advice it would be to not get too down on yourself when something doesn’t work or when you have a bad run. Let me tell you up front that you WILL have bad runs and you will want to beat yourself up over it. Just realize that it happens to every single runner! You are not alone. Try and use the bad runs as a tool for improvement. When you have a bad run ask yourself three questions:

1. What went right?
2. What went wrong?
3. How can you fix what went wrong?

I actually use the website Daily Mile to track my runs and I have recently started to answer these questions after all of them (good or bad). It really helps me to analyze what happened during my run and try to correct things the next time I go out.

W&D Half 2012
Dumbo Double Dare 2013, Jingle Jungle 5K 2013, W&D Half 2013
WDW Marathon 2014, Disneyland Half 2014, Avengers Super Heroes Half 2014
Dopey Challenge 2015
TigerTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #32
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

BernardandMissBianca and TigerTown, I appreciate your feedback! ALL excellent points and suggestions... I'm starting to lean against the C25K plan as I don't intend on running 3 straight miles for quite some time. I'll most likely end up loosely following a plan a la Galloway's 5K and then progress to his half-marathon plan once the time comes. Luckily, time is on my side. I'm thankful for that!

I feel I'm off to a great start though thanks to you all -- once I have my game plan and shoes on board, it's time to hit the neighborhood. I do have a treadmill that will be moved to my spare room this weekend but I really want to run primarily outside. This is all so exciting!
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #33
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

PS, TigerTown...your website is incredibly inspiring! I love it!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #34
TigerTown
runDisney addict!

Quote:
PS, TigerTown...your website is incredibly inspiring! I love it!
Thank you! I really have enjoyed doing it. Feel free to stop on in and comment any time and let me know of you have any questions. I'm still pretty much a newbie myself but I'm learning more every day.

W&D Half 2012
Dopey Challenge 2015
Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
mommy2lt
Mouseketeer

I plan on starting the Galloway 1/2 plan in October, but for now, I'll tell you what works for me. It's pretty simple really, I just do what I can do. I have a number of miles that I want to do on each run ( 3-4 days a week, long run on the weekend) and I just do what I can do. If I can run, I do. If I need to catch my breath or need a break, I walk just until I am comfortable enough to start running again. I tried the Galloway method and find that stopping to walk when I could still run was a bit annoying, and having to keep running when I needed to stop sucked ! So for now,, until the "REAL" training starts, I just listen to my body and do what I feel like I need to do. Hope that helps. The only way to get better at running is to run, and the only way to increase mileage is to go farther Happy running !

mommy2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #36
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTown View Post
I actually use the website Daily Mile to track my runs and I have recently started to answer these questions after all of them (good or bad). It really helps me to analyze what happened during my run and try to correct things the next time I go out.
Kyle I saw a link to your blog via Daily mile and I have a question.
Which app are you using for your Dumbo countdown? I'm trying to find one for the Princess.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #37
DisneyRunnerGirl
If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's because I'm tying my running shoes.

Quote:
Where'sPiglet?, thanks for your input! You raise a very good point -- one of the things that draws me to Galloway is his walk/run/walk plan. Given the fact that I do have some weight to shed, I need to be cautious in my approach to avoid injury. I have a good week to prepare and my Galloway book might tip me off to a good plan as well. On another note, I can't wait to see your photos!
May I suggest Jenny Hadfield's Half Marathon plans? These are free on her website and includes a variety of plans including run/walk.

http://www.jennyhadfield.com/trainin...half-marathon/

I love her plans and have used the different variations as I moved from walking only in my mid 40s to run/walk in my 50s. Also used one of her marathon plans for my first full in Jan and got the 20th anniversary Mickey medal with run/walk
Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #38
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Mommy2lt, I did some more reading and I'm leaning against my original plan of following a training schedule right off the bat. I love your idea (which TigerTown touched on too) of just doing what I can and then in October, I can start the Galloway Half schedule. Sometimes my mind wants to make things really technical and I forget I'm JUST starting out as a brand spankin' newbie to this and I need to slow down and ease in. I have a lot of excited energy built up and I need to use it wisely. I work the next two days but on Friday, I'm going to drive around my neighborhood and map out some routes to start with.

DisneyRunnerGirl, congrats on your medal! That's fantasic! I'm off to check out the link you shared. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #39
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
UPDATE:

Thank you to EVERYONE who responded to my post from yesterday. I truly appreciate and respect your stories, advice, and kind words and am VERY EXCITED to say I am officially registered!

I feel a huge sense of relief now that I've committed. Those of you who said I'll feel much better after registering, you were 100% right. Wow!

Next up, a proper pair of running shoes and Jeff Galloway's book to help me get started...

Again, thank you ALL! I'll definitely stick around the boards for the long term -- this is a wonderful place to be. Many blessings to everyone!
Congratulations! You have a great journey ahead of you.
ZellyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
fruitcakes24
Earning My Ears

....I'm new! This is my first post! Haha...

You can *absolutely* do this! I could have written your post verbatim last year and signed up to do PHM on a whim with zero running experience and really, aside from chasing after 2 kids, very little physical activity. I very casually trained and ended up finishing the race, but knowing that I could have done better had I really put in the effort to properly train.

As you can see from my brand new, shiny signature below, I've decided to run the W&D Half this fall, then the GSC in Feb. I encourage you to find a training plan that works for you. I wanted to start from nothing and build my way up to increase speed and distance without injury or burnout. So, I went with the Couch to Half Marathon plan - ok, apparently I can't link but it's the first link on google when you search . I'm on Week 6 and I *love* this plan!! I'm so excited to run and have set up little mini goals along the way to help keep me motivated.

Good luck and congratulations on taking the first step!

Lushes unite!

currently in training for...dumbo's double dare 2014 & wine & dine 2014

completed...princess half marathon 2013, wine & dine 2013, and glass slipper challenge 2014
fruitcakes24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #41
TigerTown
runDisney addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post

Kyle I saw a link to your blog via Daily mile and I have a question.
Which app are you using for your Dumbo countdown? I'm trying to find one for the Princess.
I use an iPad app that's just called CountDown. It allows you to put any picture you want the background.

W&D Half 2012
Dopey Challenge 2015
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #42
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Fruitcakes24, CONGRATS to you too! I'm so happy to hear you're loving your C25K training. You totally have this in the bag! I'll be standing by to root you on and hear your success story following your W&D Half.

And I have GREAT news...my best friend in the whole wide world is signing up tonight! I'm ecstatic! We discussed doing this together last week and we both experienced cold feet but after a big heart-to-heart this afternoon, she's 100% in. I'm over the moon!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #43
fruitcakes24
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Fruitcakes24, CONGRATS to you too! I'm so happy to hear you're loving your C25K training. You totally have this in the bag! I'll be standing by to root you on and hear your success story following your W&D Half.

And I have GREAT news...my best friend in the whole wide world is signing up tonight! I'm ecstatic! We discussed doing this together last week and we both experienced cold feet but after a big heart-to-heart this afternoon, she's 100% in. I'm over the moon!

You're so sweet, thanks!

And awesome news about your friend! Having someone to experience this with makes a huge difference

Lushes unite!

currently in training for...dumbo's double dare 2014 & wine & dine 2014

completed...princess half marathon 2013, wine & dine 2013, and glass slipper challenge 2014
fruitcakes24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #44
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTown View Post
I use an iPad app that's just called CountDown. It allows you to put any picture you want the background.
Thanks!

Quote:
WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #45
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerGirl View Post

I love her plans and have used the different variations as I moved from walking only in my mid 40s to run/walk in my 50s. Also used one of her marathon plans for my first full in Jan and got the 20th anniversary Mickey medal with run/walk
DisneyRunnerGirl... I'm on your path. I completed 2 marathons, walking only in my 40s and enjoyed the experience but the training took up so much time because our training included 3-20 mile walks and multiple 16 mile walks. I discovered 1/2 marathons and like the distance because I feel I can still have a life. I've completed around 30 and many are within 10 minutes of the same finish time and I want to get faster. I'm working on run/walk now, even though I'm probably faster just walking at this point. But I'm trying to build my running endurance. Who would have thought I would some day want to be a runner :-). I told my DH I know it's happening because when I see people out running, I wish I was out with them.
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: