Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #16
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredbyMadi View Post
Hi everyone! First and foremost, WOW, what a WONDERFUL group of encouraging and positive people. Thank you so so much for replying!

I snuck away for the afternoon to do some chores around the house and in the meantime, I was able to relax my mind and put some serious thought into whether or not this is for me. Turns out, the firing is burning brightly and I will be signing up tomorrow! I'm 99% sure I'll be selecting Cinderella as my princess as she has always been my favorite and she'll be quite symbolic to me as I enter this journey.

Again, THANK YOU so much to every single one of you who posted. This was just what I needed to gain that extra push. I can't wait to join the PHM thread and become an active member around here.

I will be working a 13-hour shift tomorrow but will update as soon as I register.
Fantastic, please do!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTown View Post
Of course you can do it. The only person stopping you is you! My suggestion is to pull the trigger and sign up. For me I know it's the best way to get me motivated. I target a race a few months out, sign up for it so I'm committed (nobody wants to lose money), and then train for it. The Wine and Dine last year was my first Half and I finished it with a bum knee that cut my training a lot shorter than it should have been.

As long as you are willing to put the training in (definitely recommend the Galloway plan) you can finish with no problem.

If you are worried about getting swept, you can check out my blog post below for some tips.

Run Disney: Tips for running without getting swept

Good luck and go for it! Get out…Get Healthy…Make new friends, and above all, enjoy the experience!

EXCELLENT response! My story is similar although I only had about 5 pounds extra weight.

Definitely the Galloway program and I really liked the book (recommended on DISboards) "Marathoning for Mortals."
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

OP: as a beginning runner, I wanted to add one more thing: it shocked the heck out of me how much I enjoy running.

I am in my 50's and have never been a runner. I was even the slowest kid in my 5th grade class.

Years ago, I started a walking program to increase my ability to enjoy my trips to Disney. I was having issues expanding that program and decided to try a couch to 5K program. Again, it shocked the heck out of me that I much preferred doing run/walk/run intervals to straight walking.

I even brought my running shoes with us to WDW and did some runs even though we did plenty of walking each day. I used to refer to people that did that as "crazy."

I am still a rank beginner with my longest run to date at 2.5 miles. I'm on the sidelines now due to recent open heart surgery and it may be several months before I can even lace up the running shoes. But I am hanging in there and looking forward to the day I can begin race training.

Best of luck to you. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
sunshinecruise
Mouseketeer

Quote:
For the first time since becoming a mother four years ago, I'm ready to commit to myself. I haven't made a lot of time for myself lately and I'm feeling there's no better time than NOW to change that. I can already visualize myself crossing the finish line and running up to my husband and daughter with a medal around my neck.

Here is where my problem lies... I have cold feet about pulling the trigger on registration. The money is there, the desire is there. But so is the doubt. And I'm not even sure what I'm doubting! I think it's just been SO long since I've committed to something solely for ME and it feels a bit awkward.
You can do it! But you don't have to think of it as something that you are doing just for YOU. You will also be setting a wonderful example for your daughter. You will be showing her how to be active and healthy and take care of herself. She will start to look forward to running Disney races with you. My daughter is 23 and we have run several 5ks and two 10ks together. (Well, we start together, then she leaves me in the dust!) We will be running our first half marathon this year (the PHM) along with her dad, my dh.
sunshinecruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

UPDATE:

Thank you to EVERYONE who responded to my post from yesterday. I truly appreciate and respect your stories, advice, and kind words and am VERY EXCITED to say I am officially registered!

I feel a huge sense of relief now that I've committed. Those of you who said I'll feel much better after registering, you were 100% right. Wow!

Next up, a proper pair of running shoes and Jeff Galloway's book to help me get started...

Again, thank you ALL! I'll definitely stick around the boards for the long term -- this is a wonderful place to be. Many blessings to everyone!
InspiredbyMadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
mommy2lt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
UPDATE:

Thank you to EVERYONE who responded to my post from yesterday. I truly appreciate and respect your stories, advice, and kind words and am VERY EXCITED to say I am officially registered!

I feel a huge sense of relief now that I've committed. Those of you who said I'll feel much better after registering, you were 100% right. Wow!

Next up, a proper pair of running shoes and Jeff Galloway's book to help me get started...

Again, thank you ALL! I'll definitely stick around the boards for the long term -- this is a wonderful place to be. Many blessings to everyone!
Yay !!! So glad you will be joining us on this journey ! It really means something different to everyone. To some, it's just another race, but for many of us this is BIG ! I know for me, it's HUGE ! If you would have told me last year that I would be doing this I would have laughed in your face. My entire family and all my friends think I have lost my mind. But every time I think about what this really means to me I tear up. This is SO much more than just a race, this is (for me) proving that I am capable of doing (again, for me) the impossible !
In the words od Walt himself - "If you can dream it, you can do it" and my personal fave, "It's kind of fun to do the impossible".
Happy training !

mommy2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #22
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

Yay! Congratulations on registering!

The Princess was my first half marathon back in 2010. I also did the Disneyland Half in 2010 but haven't really walked, jogged, or run since, except for a local 10K a few months ago. I'm basically starting fresh again this year, but at least this time I have the added bonus of knowing what to expect.

I wrote up a fairly detailed trip report (with photos) of my 2010 PHM experience. However, I was hosting my photos through Webshots, which closed down and deleted ALL the photos back in December. I have screenshots of the entire report and the photos saved to my hard drive, so I'll attempt to fix the report this weekend and post the link to my signature.

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
Where'sPiglet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #23
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Aww! I appreciate the support everyone, thanks! I'm just in from a long weekend of back-to-back 12-hour shifts and I'm exhausted but very much looking forward to this coming week. I'll be sharing the news with my closest loved ones and will be getting started as soon as possible. See you all around the boards!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #25
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sPiglet? View Post
The Princess was my first half marathon back in 2010.
Me too!
I just finally made a photo book of it last night, so it's fresh in my mind. That race got me hooked on Disney races and spurred me to continue running and training. You can absolutely do this - Galloway's beginner plan is a good place to start. In the meantime, you can start with Galloway's 5k plan or just start walking to get used to being on your feet and moving more (if you aren't already exercising).
You will have an amazing time!
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

I think I need a vacation, because when I read this thread title I literally thought you were saying your feet were cold when you run...like, you needed suggestions on how to keep your feet warmer.

LOL!

Congrats on signing up! You'll love it.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #27
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
In the meantime, you can start with Galloway's 5k plan or just start walking to get used to being on your feet and moving more (if you aren't already exercising).
You will have an amazing time!
PrincessBride, thank you for this excellent suggestion. I was JUST going to ask about which plan I should start with as I'm a bit early in starting Galloway's Half-Marathon plan (from the runDisney site). Some have mentioned C25K as a starter prior to the Half-Marathon plan. Any pointers?

LOL @ Ariel. Oh my... Most days I wish my feet were literally cold but here in Florida, it's hot hot hot.

ETA: After looking at the calendar, if I start C25K next week (this gives me a week to buy proper shoes), it will end within one week of the first 5K I'm eyeing (9/14). Would it make sense to do C25K and then start Galloway's Half-Marathon plan the week after the 5K? All advice welcome!

Last edited by InspiredbyMadi; 07-01-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Afterthoughts...
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

Quote:
ETA: After looking at the calendar, if I start C25K next week (this gives me a week to buy proper shoes), it will end within one week of the first 5K I'm eyeing (9/14). Would it make sense to do C25K and then start Galloway's Half-Marathon plan the week after the 5K? All advice welcome!
I'm no expert, but I think this would work out okay. The first "long run" on Galloway's training plan is 3 miles, and a 5K is 3.1 miles, so I think they would mesh pretty well.

The difference, though, is that C25K trains you to run the entire 3.1 miles by the end of the 9 weeks, if I recall correctly. The Galloway method has you alternating walking and running at intervals.

I've heard from many people that they've repeated weeks on the C25K because it builds the running intervals pretty quickly, so it takes longer than the 9 weeks. I would just be cautious of pushing too hard too quickly and getting an injury. From what I understand, the Galloway method is more gradual and focuses more on building distance than building speed.

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the photos from my 2010 trip report. For some reason, the photos are not in one place on my hard drive and so it's taking me a lot longer than anticipated to deal with it. It's driving me crazy though; I want to relive the experience!

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
Where'sPiglet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
InspiredbyMadi
Mouseketeer

Where'sPiglet?, thanks for your input! You raise a very good point -- one of the things that draws me to Galloway is his walk/run/walk plan. Given the fact that I do have some weight to shed, I need to be cautious in my approach to avoid injury. I have a good week to prepare and my Galloway book might tip me off to a good plan as well. On another note, I can't wait to see your photos!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #30
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

My personal feeling on both methods, your mileage may vary, lol

I have done both the C25K and the Galloway method. I actually prefer the Galloway method as a newer runner. C25K is set up to build to longer runs and to eventually run a full 5K. I will not lie, it was hard to finish. I never actually finished the program before my first 5K. It did prepare me for the race to an extent but I feel like I set myself up for failure because I could not maintain my runs because during the race I was running faster than I did at home, thus getting tired and winded quicker. While I had fun doing the race (Expedition Everest) I didn't have the energy to really enjoy the experience. I feel like I missed a lot because I was just wishing it was over.

The good thing about the Galloway method is if you get the app, you can set your interval ratio as you train. I started with a 1/1 run/walk interval I'm now at a 2/1, so 2 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking. Jeff also talks to you during the runs and gives pointers and motivation which is also a positive.

Personally I would start with the Galloway 5K then move up to the 1/2 program. You can make adjustments as you go in terms of running times since there is a lot more flexibility with the ratios.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: